"If they pay me more"...

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by ORourkeK, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Select the "style" before they even start?

chutzpah

2. ORourkeK

ORourkeK No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes! I couldn't believe my eyes. The worst part? I went to go grab the popcorn, considering this should have been a fun read, and when I came back, all of the comments were on board with it. I started with my response when I decided I didn't need the fight and that the FB page just isn't for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CODYMAJ

CODYMAJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good call! Find inspiration, maybe, but selecting a style first seems like naming a song before writing it :biggrin-new:

4. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you feel that a certain pay does not warrant 10 fully edited photos, you dont offer 10 half done poor quality ones. You offer 5 fully edited photos. Reduce the quantity, not the quality. Most can fully grasp that if they pay you more you could take longer and get more photos. They would not expect your quality to go up with price (Quality of actual album / options yes, but not of the photos themselves) .

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Good call.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And just how close are the online pics to their style ???
    Oh but you said they don't have any pics, so then they really don't have a style, just an idea.

I personally would not want to be in a group like that for professional purposes. Just a waste of time and negatively affects your thinking.
    IF you want to spend time helping others, then it could be a time sink, IF they are receptive to constructive help.
    vs. "I don't need YOUR help, I'm a pro."

7. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am thinking that there are 2 angles to the pic.

#1 - The couple selected the scene, so the photog has to shoot it, and deal with the distractions in the scene as best he can.
    The problem here is a phrase that I've heard too much from non-photographers, "just photoshop it out."
    This places a requirement on post processing edit skills and time that the photographer may not have, or may not have to the extent that the photo needs.
    #2 - The photog selected a bad scene.
    Though it could also be the best of a bunch of bad options at that location.​

Also as has been said, when couples are going for "lowest bid," they are getting what they are paying for. Minimum work to produce the deliverable. Couple this with the above and you have this this situation.

8. ORourkeK

Photos OK to edit
    This is how most of them are.

9. ORourkeK

Photos OK to edit

I think in today's age, post processing skills should be a requirement. I am not talking about reconstructing an entire scene, but a simple 5 minute removal of distractions from a photo can change evereything. With the tools we have within PS, it really isn't that difficult. I will most likely be in the minority with this, but oh well. It may be my youth and ignorance to the professional scene. Perhaps as I wiggle my way deeper into the world of professional photography I will start to think differently.

PS: I agree 100 percent that it is up to us to pick the best scenes with the least amount of distractions. My comment above is for the scenerios where the subject insists on a scene with distractions and a bad background. ​

10. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Food for thought. As an amateur an extra 5 mins on a single image isn't much. As a professional multiply that by a 100 images and you've just worked a full day for nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

"for nothing" that's the mentality that is the issue. It's not for nothing. It's for better quality. Using the same logic, why edit photos at all? Why take the extra time lighting properly? It's all part of the product you are delivering. Quality photos. There becomes a point where it does reach a "too much time investment for little product improvement" but that all comes down to the quality you consider to be minimal for your business.

As a professional you base your pay for a job on not just shoot time but entire Cost of Doing Business. which certainly includes Edit time even in it's most basic calculations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit

That is if the gig will support the extra cost.
    And if they are no surprises, like
    We want the pictures over there.​

In a "lowest bid" situation, like what I've read about for some weddings, you are shaving your costs down to get the gig.
    Extra unplanned edit time eats into your profit.

With an unknown site, I would to a physical site recon with the client, to nail down and discuss the shots. But how many people (photog and client) would take the time do that? This is extra time that you have to budget for in your bid.