"If they pay me more"...

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by ORourkeK, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well...

If the job requires greater skills than I possess, I shouldn't be taking on that job. Photoshop is just one tool. Maybe careful planning is what is needed.

-Pete

• Like Like x 1
  2. ORourkeK

ORourkeK No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In most scenarios, you won't know what a spot entails until you are on site, no? Are you saying you go out and visit a location before accepting a job? Strictly speaking of portraits here.

3. Christie Photo

Absolutely! Doesn't everyone?

Why wouldn't you?

-Pete

4. ORourkeK

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting. Looking forward to seeing what others say about that. If we continue with just portraits, if you have 5 jobs in one week that are all a couple hours apart, you are traveling to each of these locations before you even take the job? Perhaps this depends on lead time, but I just can't imagine that being true. And if we expand past portraits and start talking about weddings/events, your location may be across the country, or in an entirely different country. Would you still go to the location before accepting the job? This is definitely on the extreme, but I am just trying to think about what happens if you apply this procedure across the board.

5. Christie Photo

The times that I've had five portraits on location to shoot in the same week would have been high school senior portraits. I shoot only in MY locations for this level of service to assure proper lighting.

I've never been lucky enough to book 5 family portraits in one week. BUT IF I DID, I would certainly stop in and take a look before the session date. Same with commercial shoots.

My service area for portraits has been within (but not limited to) a 30 minute drive from my studio.

-Pete

6. ORourkeK

Photos OK to edit
    Stopping in to look at the location before the session date is different from not accepting the job until you see the location. I am impressed that you have been successful with such a limitation placed on yourself. I can't imagine limiting my distance when there are beautiful mountains 1-2 hour(s) in one direction, and oceans 1-2 hour(s) in the other. I like your idea for the senior portraits though. Being extremely familiar with a location must be comforting.

7. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMO I think the person is totally out of order, plus I think he will NOT make it as a photographer at all with a horrible and crappy way of thinking. When I take my vocalists images if I can`t crop out the messy bits, then I take them out in PP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The product was inferior because the photographer was inferior, end of discussion. A professional person would have suggested alternatives, used thier skills to minimize the issue, allowed edit time to correct or refused the job.

As to pre-planning. If you hire a painter to paint your house would you expect them to first look the house. If you hired a mechanic to fix your car wouldn't they need to look at it first. The list goes on and on so why do you find it odd that a professional photographer would want to look at a location first, unless they already have experience with the location. Pros make it go smooth because they already know what they're doing when they walk on the job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    He said/she said situations...never is there a clear-cut disposition of such disagreements when the "facts" are mere speculations...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ORourkeK

Photos OK to edit
    Pre-planning is not the same as going to the location prior to accepting the Job. I agree that you should know your location prior to a shoot. Back to the original topic, I agree that they were an all-around inferior photog.

11. ORourkeK

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. I touched this a bit in one of my prior comments. It was an unfair post considering I am unable to provide the photographers POV and the picture itself.

12. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I've lost track of what/who exactly we're talking about! And no, I'm not going back to find out... Weren't you thinking that maybe that FB group isn't one you'd stay with anyway? Although I suppose any group could have some people with cameras that are at best misguided.

I think this is getting into specific or unusual situations. In my area typical drive time would be a half hour, maybe 45 minutes (for people like me that live way out!). So if a prospective job was out of that range it would be getting into extra cost for time and travel. Two hours away? that's definitely out of town and again, additional expense if a photographer wants to do that. So in most situations photographers that I know would check out the venue ahead of time (and that's mostly weddings; I don't know offhand of anyone doing that for a portrait session; I think photographers have already been to various potential locations in the area). I suppose you could at least check a place out online and if it involves travel time, schedule (and bill for) time to visit the venue ahead of time.

I think if you can get a great shot for a client it's a matter of providing a great end result. To do that I think you need to be a darn good photographer, have good camera skills, and know when/how to adjust or edit as needed. I think it's like that with other work, it's a matter of learning the tools of the trade to carry out the skills. You can't do a mediocre job and try to fix it later (well people do, but I think that's poor workmanship to do that on a regular basis). Sometimes it happens that you messed up something and gotta figure out how to fix it, but I don't think you can count on doing that all the time. That to me shows a need for bringing up the skill level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1