If you could do it all over again...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by McQueen278, Apr 5, 2009.

1. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wouldn't have bought my Tamron - that's it, and even then I probably still would've bought it because I didn't own my 24 and 50 primes and I needed *something* lol.

2. sarahashleyphotos

sarahashleyphotos TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't have done anything differently. Well Maybe I wouldn't have bought my film cameras since film is just a hobby and digital is what I use for jobs & school. If I had the money at the time I would have gotten a 5D but all I could afford was the 40D so thats what I have and I am very happy with it.

3. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nothing so far. I bought a bridge p&s camera first for 250 and manage to learn what I could from that, work pretty well, learn alot about exposure and all of that in manual mode. This was late 2006. I upgrade to a D40 recently when it was on sale at BH photo and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Maybe in a few year, I'll upgrade to a cheap D400?

4. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Me Im another i dont have regrets. Well except for when I put over 20 years worth of negatives in storage with some of my toher stuff and, the storage place burned down. I almast cried like a little girl over that.

5. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are two things I would have done differently.

1) Bought the Gitzo 5541LS from the get-go. Its the third or fourth tripod I have purchased and my old ones collect dust. that includes my Bogen 055MF3 carbon fiber.

2) And this is hind-sight...I would have skipped the Sigma 50-500, and gone straight for the Canon 600mm f/4 IS that I currently use. The Sigma served me well, but it was too short and too slow. Its for sale BTW. LOL

6. I could have gone without the 16-35mm L, and just bought the 24mm L.

Other than that I learned early on to buy the best available. Going for a lesser version just means regret later if you want to move up, or greater loss of value if you want to sell it. The better stuff makes it easier to grow, and easier to resell.

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How could I have missed that???

That's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Two fast questions:
    - Do you think that you will ever consider using shutter speeds above 1/250th on a studio strobe or any non-Nikon light source battery or 110-220v?

- Do you think you will use/need Pocket Wizards for your triggers?

If yes, you may want to consider making that SB-600 into a SB-800 or SB-900... because of the ability to take shots using anything like a Vivitar 285 or a Alien Bee or an Elinchrom or Profoto head or even your other SB-600s (from a distance of hundreds of feet) and syncing to your D700 at any speed between 1/60th to 1/8000th of a second becomes a reality.

I'd not really call any 50mm a dynamite combo for full body shots due to the distortion that a short lens does, A 24-70 at 70mm is a nice improvement but even better... that 70-200 at 150-200mm and some extra distance (not that great a distance thanks to the FX sensor)... and now we are talking "dyn-o-mite" results. :)

It would be huge, I think... at least something around the size/weight of the 50mm F/1.4G if it was in metal and not plastic. Besides, the Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8 likely would be so close as to make no IQ difference, and with a D700, you are no further away from matching the light sensitivity than cranking up the ISO a stop or 2. This is one of the main reasons I so enjoy my D700... the latitude it gives me to really control my lighting in so many different ways. :)

9. Frequent Traveler

Frequent Traveler TPF Noob!

I'm pleased with all the buys i've made. I bought, imho, the best and am thoroughly pleased with all of it.

Except for a 300mm telephoto, there have been a few lenses i've sold, but at either a profit or break even.

The camera bodies i haven't kept were bought as kits for a specific lens and meant to be re-sold. I still have a few that need to go.

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not sure that I would have done anything differently. The reality is that options and choices are limited by finances, knowledge and life events during the particular period of time. Many people pick what they consider to be the best choices at the time. Different choices produce different results....not necessarily better outcomes.

skieur

11. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why the 135mm insteadd of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS?

12. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

this probably sounds stupid, but i really regret not buying a 10ft cable release, for an extra 5 bucks i could have got an addition 7feet. oh well lol