If you could have any camera body, what would it be?

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a lot of fun with the "If you can have any lens, what would it be?" thread, and I know that I sure learned a lot. TY to all who posted in it, and I hope you had a good time too.

Keeping with the spirit of it, I am doing this thread.

This will not be a Canon vs. Nikon thing, because it’s open to all digital AND film bodies including the 50-60 MP digital big boys.

Think about what your "dream camera" would be.

For my pick, I am going with the Leica S2. I don't believe that it is actually out yet, but it will be soon.

Leica S2
643776.jpg

Official Leica Link
http://www.s.leica-camera.com/

B&H Product page
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585106-REG/Leica_10801_S2_SLR_Digital_Camera.html#reviews

Its features and specs are out of this world.

37.5 MP Sensor
Full Weather sealing
Organic LED Display
Precise AF System

It spits out 72.5 MB RAW files! It’s a good thing I have a pair of 32GB CF's ready LOL.

The build quality and weather sealing look very tight, and effective, making this one rugged camera. This is something I really value, and it adds greatly to my decision.

Here is a review from the luminous-landscape, featuring hands on experience and sample photos.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/s2.shtml

This is an actual pixels crop of a photo taken with the S2 in their review.
eye.jpg

Because it costs over $22,000 for the body alone, I don't think very many people will ever be able to own or even shoot with one of these.

The lenses cost over $4000 each. This 35mm prime is $5300 on B&H lol.

Leica Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5
642613.jpg

Leica APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 Lens
642601.jpg

Here are the MTF charts for the 180mm f3.5. I don’t know that much about these, but they look off the charts to me LOL.

180diagrammrechts.jpg

180diagrammlinks.jpg

Heres is a shot of a woman with the 70mm f/2.5.
red_lips.jpg

Now that’s what I call a camera!

Now what is your dream camera?

K-GO

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun with the "If you can have any lens, what would it be?" thread, and I know that I sure learned a lot. TY to all who posted in it, and I hope you had a good time too.

Keeping with the spirit of it, I am doing this thread.

This will not be a Canon vs. Nikon thing, because itÂ’s open to all digital AND film bodies including the 50-60 MP digital big boys.

Think about what your "dream camera" would be.

For my pick, I am going with the Leica S2. I don't believe that it is actually out yet, but it will be soon.

Leica S2
643776.jpg

Official Leica Link
http://www.s.leica-camera.com/

B&H Product page
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585106-REG/Leica_10801_S2_SLR_Digital_Camera.html#reviews

Its features and specs are out of this world.

37.5 MP Sensor
Full Weather sealing
Organic LED Display
Precise AF System

It spits out 72.5 MP RAW files! ItÂ’s a good thing I have a pair of 32GB CF's ready LOL.

The build quality and weather sealing look very tight, and effective, making this one rugged camera. This is something I really value, and it adds greatly to my decision.

Here is a review from the luminous-landscape, featuring hands on experience and sample photos.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/s2.shtml

This is an actual pixels crop of a photo taken with the S2 in their review.
eye.jpg

Because it costs over $22,000 for the body alone, I don't think very many people will ever be able to own or even shoot with one of these.

The lenses cost over $4000 each. This 35mm prime is $5300 on B&H lol.

Leica Summarit-S 35mm f/2.5
642613.jpg

Leica APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 Lens
642601.jpg

Here are the MTF charts for the 180mm f3.5. I donÂ’t know that much about these, but they look off the charts to me LOL.

180diagrammrechts.jpg

180diagrammlinks.jpg

Heres is a shot of a woman with the 70mm f/2.5.
red_lips.jpg

Now thatÂ’s what I call a camera!

Now what is your dream camera?

K-GO

wow......

I think Mine would be Mamiya DM56.Crystal clear with 56MP of Goodness.

Though....Dont know why I would Need 56Mp at this point....

wow......

I cant even imagine what the file sizes must be like on those cameras...

Good pick, that one is over $32,000 LOL!

wow......

I cant even imagine what the file sizes must be like on those cameras...

Good pick, that one is over $32,000 LOL!

To be honest IF I could have any camera I would love to have this

Linhof Technorama 617s III Medium Format Panorama 00011372 - B&H

But..... with a 50MP Back..... I often wonder if they are ever going to make a true Digital Panoramic camera. Though....With the growing size of sensors and MP there really is no need to make a sensor like that when you can simply crop.

Though....How often can you use Super Wide Angle and 72mm in the same sentence!!!

I used an S2 once in a camera store with the 75mm (i think) attached to it.

it was a nice camera no doubt, but i don't know about $22,000 nice. I'd own it before i'd own a hasselblad though, definitely had the Hassy trumped on usability.

That S2 sure is nice!! But does anybody here actually do any professional work that even need that kind of sensor with 30+MP? And can you imagine walking around with that thing? LOL...$30K+ in your hand!

I read somewhere that the Leica S2 was designed with the idea that it would be,for the most part, a rental camera, and so the ergonomics, and the simplicity and elegance of the design were of paramount importance to Leica as they developed it. And yes, the lens MTF charts are simply superb...Leica engineers gave some very lengthy, on the record interviews to the Luminous-Landscape and multiple other camera industry writers,and they were very candid in stating that the lenses are the limiting factor in most MF systems, and that their new lens designs were the best they could possibly make.

The Leica S2 looks like a really nice camera. I think though that I'd rather have a camera that had more lenses available for it,at a lower price point...

I read somewhere that the Leica S2 was designed with the idea that it would be,for the most part, a rental camera, and so the ergonomics, and the simplicity and elegance of the design were of paramount importance to Leica as they developed it. And yes, the lens MTF charts are simply superb...Leica engineers gave some very lengthy, on the record interviews to the Luminous-Landscape and multiple other camera industry writers,and they were very candid in stating that the lenses are the limiting factor in most MF systems, and that their new lens designs were the best they could possibly make.

The Leica S2 looks like a really nice camera. I think though that I'd rather have a camera that had more lenses available for it,at a lower price point...

Wow...

Cool info there Derrel. TY.

They do seem to be about as close to perfection as a lens can get.

I should have put one or two of them on my optically outstanding poll!

I read somewhere that the Leica S2 was designed with the idea that it would be,for the most part, a rental camera

A lot of the higher end cameras are like this. Most people dont just plunk down 30-60K on a camera. Most rent.

I don't want anything special. I would just like to have a full frame body, in my case the Sony A900, even if someone offered me a Canon, or Nikon cheaper I would still take the Sony. I also I wouldn't mind have an old Minolta 9000 to play around with.

To be completely honest, when I consider what I do on a regular basis I'd still probably just got with a Canon 1D Mark 4.

Of course it would be awesome to have a Hassleblad or a S2, but they wouldn't do me much good shooting sports. :lol:

1D4 frame rate puts a big smile on my face.

Of course it would be awesome to have a Hassleblad or a S2, but they wouldn't do me much good shooting sports. :lol:

1D4 frame rate puts a big smile on my face.

You make a good point here.

Depending on what type of shooting you are doing, a $1800 body may be better then a $30,000 one.

1D mk IV, 400/2.8 IS II, and season tickets to the Chargers. :)

if i ever get a d3s, ill jizz everwhere.

Most reactions

Back