Need high-speed photo scanner

fotoplug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have about 10 years worth of photo prints, ... 60% 4"x6", 25% 3"x5", 15% other. I need a fast photo scanner. A good quality scan from my HP OfficeJet 8500 takes about 90 seconds, not including time required to place & remove the photo from the scanner flatbed. Ideal scanner would have a photo feeder where I just slip the photo into its grips and a scan takes place in less than 30 seconds. I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500, which is fast, but quality, because of protective carrier sheet, is less that what I get on my HP scanner. Any recommendations?

If what I want doesn't exist then what is next best? High quality & quick speed are important.

Thanks.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
With a flatbed scanner, you can scan more than one print at a time, if they will fit onto the bed. Then it's up to you & the software to crop them back into individual images, if you want to.

You might try setting up a copy stand with a digital camera. Mount the camera facing down and set up nice even lighting. Then just place the photo into position and snap the shot.

jahcyber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I actually did just that at the office a few months ago when we were required to submit digital copies of all our printed photos. I set up our 600D camera on a tripod and let it point straight down where I place 4 pictures at at time. The resulting digital copies are better than those we actually scanned. And it's a lot faster than scanning.

As for scanners, I still think a scanner with an automatic feeder is way better than a flatbed because you can leave it unattended while it does its thing. :)

Most reactions