If you have photoshop, why even use light room?

Cataloging and culling example.

If I have 500 pictures from a day of shooting, I import into a folder by date with appropriate tags.
In Library grid mode select all, then give them 2 stars.
Then I set filter to view only those greater than or equal to 2
I go through them individually hitting 1 for each picture I want to delete and it disappears from view.
For potentially good pictures, I hit 3 or 4
After finishing the pass through, I set filter to allow only =1 and review them to make certain I didn't mark anything for deletion that I really want to keep.
Then select all the 1's in library grid mode and delete

another method ... in Develop mode

I use "X" which is mark for Deletion
Then under the Photo menu option, I think the last menu selection, is Delete Rejected Photos (or something like that).

Overall, when I go through the photos (using my keyboard arrows while I do some initial tweaks to see if I like them) I mark them "X" for deletion, "P" for flagged or nothing if I'm unsure.
Then I use the Delete Rejected Photos to remove them entirely from disk.
Then as I continue my post processing I may use the stars if I really like something to identify it above the others and modify any "P" flagged or "U" unflag it
Then I set the filter to Flagged for the photos I like, Select them all and export to JPG.

multiple ways of skinning the perverbial cat ...

I guess I would understand only if I try Lightroom, because everything said here I do in Bridge and ACR...

Can you edit in Bridge, or is it just an organizer?

it's an organizer but you can do lots of thing there... It's not that much user friendly but with a few tutorials you can make it friendly and get to know everything there is...

I apply info template while I'm importing the pictures, tagging, rejecting, staring, pdf contact sheets and much more

editing starts in ACR

^^^Astro

I do the same exact thing, except I don't flag, I mark it with a 1 star rating and then sort it down, and then my favorites usually get 3 star and then my final image gets a 5 star.

This way I can distinguish between, good images, my favorites and final full blown edits in one click.

When you flag, you can't do this.

I guess I would understand only if I try Lightroom, because everything said here I do in Bridge and ACR...

Can you edit in Bridge, or is it just an organizer?

it's an organizer but you can do lots of thing there... It's not that much user friendly but with a few tutorials you can make it friendly and get to know everything there is...

I apply info template while I'm importing the pictures, tagging, rejecting, staring, pdf contact sheets and much more

editing starts in ACR

IMO, thats to much work and adds a whole nother step to my process. Lightroom, as soon as you import you can edit right away. No extra steps needed. Its a great organizer, you can tag, sort, rate, etc. Too each their own though :)

yeah I only flag the images i export.

^^^Astro

I do the same exact thing, except I don't flag, I mark it with a 1 star rating and then sort it down, and then my favorites usually get 3 star and then my final image gets a 5 star.

This way I can distinguish between, good images, my favorites and final full blown edits in one click.

When you flag, you can't do this.

ahh .. I make a Virtual Copy and may Unflag the first version as I do more with the second version (or 3rd or 4th).
I'm basically using the Flags for if I'm going to Export the file as I set the Filter to Flagged, select all, then export.

So I may have multiple versions of one shot too such as a full view, then a fully cropped view.

I also use the stars but mostly just for editing .. not for selection or anything.

Photoshop for manipulating my images heavily.
LR for adjusting exposure, tones, balances, and anything, well, light related - plus simple fixes such as spot reduction etc

IMO, thats to much work and adds a whole nother step to my process. Lightroom, as soon as you import you can edit right away. No extra steps needed. Its a great organizer, you can tag, sort, rate, etc. Too each their own though :)
hm... I guess I don't see it that way because I've never used Lightroom, I've always used Bridge and ACR and get used to it

hm... I guess I don't see it that way because I've never used Lightroom, I've always used Bridge and ACR and get used to it

I use to be the same way honestly. I never used lightroom and kept hearing how 'awesome' it was, gave it one chance and absolutely hated it!

I then continued with my old workflow and then about two years past and I started getting real busy with my photography, booking jobs etc. And I found my workflow was killing me and I talked to a friend of mine who also does photography and he told me I needed to get lightroom. I explained to him that I tried it and hated it, etc. But he said, get it and I'll show you how to use it.

Since then, I love it and couldn't image my photography life without it.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :)

I use to be the same way honestly. I never used lightroom and kept hearing how 'awesome' it was, gave it one chance and absolutely hated it!

I then continued with my old workflow and then about two years past and I started getting real busy with my photography, booking jobs etc. And I found my workflow was killing me and I talked to a friend of mine who also does photography and he told me I needed to get lightroom. I explained to him that I tried it and hated it, etc. But he said, get it and I'll show you how to use it.

hm.... when you said like that... it makes me want to try LR ;)

hm.... when you said like that... it makes me want to try LR ;)

If you want, I can show you how to use it ;)

I hated LR too when I first tried it. Matter of fact I didn't use it for close to a year after I bought it.
I tried to find other software to do things. BUt they all had various workflows, etc. Or could only manupulate one image at a time. So since I owned it and keep hearing great things about it I sat down to figure out how to use it properly.

I recall things that drove me nuts were ..
- selecting photos to export. Sometimes I would just export one. Othertimes I would export all the photos.
- the layout of LR in general.
- the actual photo menu options are on the right ... and it just took time to learn what stuff does .. and I'm still learning.
- exporting - didn't know actually what outcome I needed ..

but like anything it took time and once I figured one thing out I was fine. Then I kept trying to learn something new.

it's like the camera .. learn each feature to see what can be done .. whether you use it or not .. like multiple exposure :)

If you want, I can show you how to use it ;)
... tempting

Going once....twice...... :)

I hated LR too when I first tried it. Matter of fact I didn't use it for close to a year after I bought it.
I tried to find other software to do things. BUt they all had various workflows, etc. Or could only manupulate one image at a time. So since I owned it and keep hearing great things about it I sat down to figure out how to use it properly..........
Exactly here. It took me a solid 2-3 months before I got the hang of everything and knew what I wanted to do. Now its second nature. I just wish I could do more with it, like have layers like photoshop, etc.

Most reactions

Back