If you have photoshop, why even use light room?

My workflow is similar to that of e.rose. I just like the way Lightroom does certain things and the way Photoshop does other things. I have tried only using one program to do all my photo editing but I always end up going back to using both.

This^

I started out with LR (well Nikon NX Capture 2) and was gifted CS6 by my wonderful wife. Anyhow, I really enjoy CS6 but there some just somethings that I do better at in LR. So I switch back and forth a lot. Unless it's something simple and basic, then I tend to edit solely in LR...unless I'm already in CS6. I'm still coming around to Bridge. Right now all i really use Bridge for is reviewing images and seeing which ones are worth editing.

I tried LR and didn't like it, but it was because I was in a rush and couldn't really take the time to learn it. ACR I could just dive into without knowing how to do anything and started editing. LR seems like it has a steeper learning curve. Everyone seems to love it though so I guess it's just a matter of learning it. I started watching a YT video to help me get accustomed to it but then my daughters started crying and I just never went back to trying to learn it. One of these days I will though...

Can I just get a list or overview? Thats a lot of videos hahah

I need a 1 page cheatsheet
unfortunately, that wouldn't help if you don't know how to use it already.

Most of them are a minute or less.

But overall, they give a bunch of reasons why it's easier/better (as a photographer) to have a workflow in Lightroom, rather than Bridge & Adobe Camera Raw.

The point is that when you have a Photoshop CC based workflow, you end up using multiple programs....Bridge, ACR, PS etc. But with a LR workflow, you can do 'most' of what you need to do, right in Lightroom.

I guess I would understand only if I try Lightroom, because everything said here I do in Bridge and ACR...

Can you edit in Bridge, or is it just an organizer?
Bridge can host Camera Raw.
Photoshop can too.
So, with Bridge/CC you can have 2 ACR windows open at the same time.

Can you edit in Bridge, or is it just an organizer?

it's an organizer but you can do lots of thing there... It's not that much user friendly but with a few tutorials you can make it friendly and get to know everything there is...

I apply info template while I'm importing the pictures, tagging, rejecting, staring, pdf contact sheets and much more

editing starts in ACR

No extra steps needed. Its a great organizer, you can tag, sort, rate, etc. Too each their own though :)
Bridge works the same way.

Bridge lets us tag, sort, rate, etc, too. The major difference between Bridge and LR is that Bridge is a browser, while LR is a database manager.

it's an organizer but you can do lots of thing there... It's not that much user friendly but with a few tutorials you can make it friendly and get to know everything there is...

I apply info template while I'm importing the pictures, tagging, rejecting, staring, pdf contact sheets and much more

editing starts in ACR

No extra steps needed. Its a great organizer, you can tag, sort, rate, etc. Too each their own though :)
Bridge works the same way.

Bridge lets us tag, sort, rate, etc, too. The major difference between Bridge and LR is that Bridge is a browser, while LR is a database manager.

I'm not hating, too each their own. I just prefer to limit my workflow and don't like hopping from one program to another just to edit a photo. Thats all :)

I can import directly from my memory card (LR automatically loads when I pop it in), tag, sort, rate, process, sync, use plugins (like Portraiture or Silver effx) all within in LR.

If I really need to then manipulate pixels, I can import it out to PS and import .psds directly back to LR when I'm done.

Being able to do 95% of my work in one program (and having all my raw edits saved in a tiny catalog file the gets backed up) makes more sense to me.

Never been a fan of the Bridge/ACR workflow. I've been using PS since version 3.0, back in 95-96 IIRC.

LR is great if your workflow involved tons of photos to PP. That is something CS is lacking.
Photoshop CS/CC have a couple of different batch processing functions.
Camera Raw can batch process too, but many don't know that it can.

In Bridge click on Tools and in the drop down box you'll see Batch, and Image Processor among several other functions. The Batch process makes use of Actions.
To batch process using Photoshop CC/CS Camera Raw - lynda.com Article Center | Batch Processing in Adobe Camera Raw

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html

I like to ask: If you have LR, why even use PS?

Because I can't retouch in LR, I can't layer in LR, and I can't do any of the more intricate editing I do, in LR.

Each has their purpose. Not everyone has *needs* for those, but people like me do.

Like I said before, I know people who ONLY use LR, and I know people who use both LR and PS... but I don't think I know anyone who ONLY uses PS. :lol:

I can import directly from my memory card (LR automatically loads when I pop it in), tag, sort, rate, . . . ..
You can import directly to Bridge too (Bridge automatically loads when my computer detects my memory card). You can then tag, sort, rate, filter, select for batch processing in Camera Raw, open in your plug-ins (like Portraiture/Silver Efex) that are in Photoshop.

The bottom line is, if you want a complete photograph editing capability you will want BOTH - LR and Photoshop - and would then use tools, features and functions from both in your workflow.

Which is why Adobe's subscription plan for photographers includes both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back