If you need help, ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Nothing is wrong with trying to help, but wouldn't be more prudent to come in and introduce yourself and give a little background and possibly post some photos to give people an idea of what makes your advice worth taking.
Pretty much exactly this^^ TPF is a large, active community with a core of very knowledgeable members who spend a lot time helping others. When someone new comes in, without providing any bona-fides or any other way to judge their skill and ability, it's hard to know how useful their advice would be.

My suggestion is that you listen to what Ron has recommended, post some images, introduce yourself and share some background.

How much tilt can I use with a Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/3.5 N at f/22 on a 4x5 and not vignette?
73° ??? Ha ha, I'm such a noob...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How much tilt can I use with a Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/3.5 N at f/22 on a 4x5 and not vignette?

Trick question.

Joe

No trick. There is an answer. But it's not 71.1, nor millimeters.

There's no such lens. There's an answer if the lens was a 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon N. Also should specify focus distance since you can squeeze out a little more tilt angle if close focus.

Joe

Trick question.

Joe

There's no such lens. There's an answer if the lens was a 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon N. Also should specify focus distance since you can squeeze out a little more tilt angle if close focus.

Joe

The correct answer is a value between zero degree to 360 degree. :D

Trick question.

Joe

Joe

I apologize. My spell check doesn't know LF lenses.

And if I really wanted to get technical, I should specify whether I'm shooting in landscape or portrait orientation.

Trick question.

Joe

Joe

I apologize. My spell check doesn't know LF lenses.

And if I really wanted to get technical, I should specify whether I'm shooting in landscape or portrait orientation.

Sorry Sparky, the Devil made me do it.

Joe

71.1mm

Tilt is not measured in mm.
Sorry 360 degrees. :)

1j2q1i.gif

71.1mm

Tilt is not measured in mm.
Sorry 360 degrees. :)

Your answers show you have no knowledge of Tilt (admittedly now a fairly exotic part of photography and not relevant for the beginners forum).
I don't know the lens but I'd guess at no more than 20° without severe vignetting and quite possibly some minor signs of vignetting might be detectable without any tilt. It's not uncommon for wide angle lenses to dim slightly in the corners :)

I suspect I've yet to employ more than 10° in any of my tilt shots, most have been with an adapter that won't tilt more than 8°.

Last edited:
Your answers show you have no knowledge of Tilt ......

I know plenty about tilt. The fact that I suggested the difference between shooting landscape and portrait orientation, as well as know that tilt is measured in degrees and not millimeters bears this out. 360° of tilt, if one were to actually attempt to do this with either standard of the camera, is not only physically impossible but would ruin the bellows. (Unless one is assuming 360° = 0° and thus no tilt at all is used, which again is an incorrect guess)

And the correct answer is actually more than 20°.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back