If Your Phone Is So Good, Do You Still Need a 'Real' Camera?

I just downloaded a bunch of photos my wife took on her new iPhone 7 Plus and ran them through lightroom along with photos from my 2007 vintage Leica C-Lux 2 and my Leica D-Lux typ 109. All I looked at were jpg files, I zoomed everything into 100% and looked at the detail. In bright sunlight with the sun to the side or behind the iphone images were reasonable, but those from my C-Lux 2 were still sharper and more detailed than the iphone photos.

Now, RAW from the iPhone may be different, I haven't messed with that yet.

Iphone 7 can't even shoot raw natively...you need a third party app. Hahaha.
View attachment 128135

Perhaps that's because it is a phone with a camera attached, not a camera with a phone attached. :biggrin-93:

I mean you have to install a third party app to be able to shoot raw. Apple's built in camera app can't shoot raw (yet anyways).

I've never managed to find a single 'real' camera that does everything I want.
Of my current selection, I could manage everything with perhaps 6 of them.
Given enough money to buy kit, - such as underwater housings, microscopes, top of the line bodies & custom adapters - then I perhaps 3 cameras could do for me. (I'd still need large format, compact visual & full spectrum models.)

...I mean you have to install a third party app to be able to shoot raw. Apple's built in camera app can't shoot raw (yet anyways).
Strictly speaking, you're installing the 3rd party application to access the raw file. It's there; the camera doesn't actually create the .jpg file directly, it's done with software. Apple has simply blocked access to the raw data.

If a camera phone shoots raw, then its professional. It takes professional pictures.

If a camera phone shoots raw, then its professional. It takes professional pictures.
The photographer would have to take professional pictures.
Still doesn't stop the drunken person from taking blurry pics of their foot and posting to facebook which would be void of anything "professional."

Still doesn't stop the drunken person from taking blurry pics of their foot and posting to facebook which would be void of anything "professional."

You do know that I was being sarcastic right? Though...it is hard to convey over the internet.

You do know that I was being sarcastic right? Though...it is hard to convey over the internet.
add a :biggrin-93: to be sarcastic .. or some other thing :biglaugh:

add a :biggrin-93: to be sarcastic .. or some other thing :biglaugh:

I'll keep that in mind, I'm not good with emojis.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back