I'm an Idiot (concerning tilt-shift)

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why am I having such a hard-time finding a dang simple tilt-shift adapter for my Rebel XS???!!! All I need is something that isn't already a lens and has a EF-EF mount. By which I mean, I need the adapter to mount to my Rebel in the first place and I would like to use my own lenses. I have EF adapters for all my lenses and so I need the ability to mount EF lenses to it. I use old glass which are meant for 35mm cameras and have them on a cropped frame camera, so I would obviously have enough room to move around in the image which is what people have warned each other about not doing.

Where is the adapter I need? Lensbabies ARE lenses...that's not what I want. When I look for EOS tilt-shift adapters I come across a whole slew of tilt-shift lenses. I have lenses, I just want an adapter that allows me to tilt/shift and swing the lens. Sort of like these: Zörk Pro Shift adapter But EF to EF.

Am I an idiot?

...Am I an idiot?
Well... :meh:

:p

Actuallly 'Drex, I'm not aware of any such adapator for 35mm type bodies. I think this is partly because T-S / PC is of limited value with such a relatively small image circle, and because you could only make the adapator so small it would be a pretty clunky thing. Some may exist, but I've not seen or heard of them. What I have seen though is using a Lensbaby to make your own; basically adding a second mount to the front of the Lensbaby. There was also a post on here a year or two back about someone who had made their own...

I do not know about adapter, but I saw some dyi tilt shift stuff before.

Yeah, I've seen those as well. I would have to find a broken rebel, take it apart, grab at the mount, stick it on one side of a bellows (toilet plunger in most DIY tutorials), take a broken EF lens, take the mount from that and stick it on the other side of the bellows...not a lot of fun...or maybe it would be...My image circle capability of the lenses I use is greater than needed by the crop sensor in the Rebel, so I guess I don't see where there would be a problem producing the adapter I thought would be out there. But I digress, chocolate cake is good.

What about focus? The adapter will act like a short extension tube, so you would need to start off with lenses that have a greater flange focal distance than EF lenses. That's one of the reasons medium format lenses can be used - they usually have a large enough FFD.

Best,
Helen

I have 29 lenses, only 1 is EF[-s] (kit 18-55), I think I'm good in that department. I have EOS adapters for the rest.

Instead of dismantling broken cameras and lenses, you might just buy a couple of adapters (EOS->anything, anything->EOS).
However, Helen is right: registration distance should be taken into account. It will be impossible to focus an EOS lens with a long tube in the middle, only macro. You need a lens with longer registration distance: the difference between that distance and 44mm (EOS registration distance) is the room you have to build the tilt-shift adapter (look here: Camera Mounts Sorted by Register ).

i just fake it in ps. supereasy and now one knows the difference.

Most reactions

Back