I'm annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the one on facebook with a purple checkered shirt on a neon blue is just horrible.The skin tone generally look ok but what a bad pick for a shoot.I think the where caught up with the eye candy. I think this is better to my eye. A slight bump in contrast,Color and then I faded it and I got this.

Attachments

• $DSC_0967.jpg
    $DSC_0967.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 135
A slight bump in contrast,Color and then I faded it and I got this.

And that would be swell if you were the photographer. But if the OP submitted the photo posted to me, I'd have politely accepted it and gone elsewhere, too...

I'm pretty sure the other photographer shot first.

It really doesn't matter.

You're upset because she opted for someone else's photo. I get that. But between the photo of yours that you posted, and the one you linked to on Facebook, the Facebook photo is the better photo. The photo of yours that you posted is flat, boring and uninteresting. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to be objective. There's nothing about it which says "this is someone I'd want to hire". The Facebook photo isn't great, by any means, but it's better...

You're upset because she opted for someone else's photo. I get that. But between the photo of yours that you posted, and the one you linked to on Facebook, the Facebook photo is the better photo. The photo of yours that you posted is flat, boring and uninteresting. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to be objective. There's nothing about it which says "this is someone I'd want to hire". The Facebook photo isn't great, by any means, but it's better...

You clearly have not read a word I have written. lol I do not care that the other photo was chosen.. I am upset that she lied, with-held that someone else was also shooting.. etc. And fwiw, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I already stated I offered to re-shoot as I was unhappy with the outcome.

Totally understand your disappointment, but this is totally one of those cases where the only one who will really understand that is going to be you. Any sort of negative feeling on this are only going to come back to bite you in the end. Take the lesson and move on. Either don't do this kind of thing again, or do it with far clearer expectations up front and documented so that neither party is surprised.

BTW, exclusivity in this type of arrangement- i.e. - "you will only use my pictures and no one elses" is just not gonna happen.

Totally understand your disappointment, but this is totally one of those cases where the only one who will really understand that is going to be you. Any sort of negative feeling on this are only going to come back to bite you in the end. Take the lesson and move on. Either don't do this kind of thing again, or do it with far clearer expectations up front and documented so that neither party is surprised.

BTW, exclusivity in this type of arrangement- i.e. - "you will only use my pictures and no one elses" is just not gonna happen.

It seems to me that you are taking this really hard and fighting others impression just too much - completely out of proportion to what happened.

It's clear the lady didn't want to tell you, or didn't think to tell you, or was embarrassed to tell you - whatever.
The problem now is how you are taking it.
And you are dealing it in a very non-professional matter.

If I were a prospective client, this kind of response on your part would warn me away.
I wouldn't want to take the chance that you would respond in this excessive manner to something I'd done.
I'd just find someone who would smile and go on.

Unfortunately, too many lessons in life are learned 'the hard way'. I'm an expert at those. Add in 'expensive' (for me), too.

Chalk it up to 'one of life's lessons'.

Ok, so I've read through most of the thread, not all as it's a bit repetitive in parts, and I reiterate my initial comment: life's too short.

I'm not a professional photog and have no desire to become one, but I am freelance in my field and my work depends very much on my reputation. The one thing I cannot afford to do when I get let down or knocked back is to let my ego take the reins. Lew has mentioned your apparent lack of professionalism and Gary has told you what you need to do. In fact, lots of people have given you sound advice on this matter. Put it down to experience and get off your high horse, because it is well and truly dead and needs no more flogging.

Rise above it!

You clearly have not read a word I have written. lol I do not care that the other photo was chosen.. I am upset that she lied, with-held that someone else was also shooting.. etc. And fwiw, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I already stated I offered to re-shoot as I was unhappy with the outcome.

So what?

She came to you because she wanted a better photo than one she already had. You failed to provide that better photograph. As such, you have no legitimate reason to be upset. If anything, she tried to spare your feelings in the PM exchange instead of saying "Sorry, but your photos just didn't impress me".

I've read every word you've written, including where you said you're sure the other photographer shot first. If anyone should be bent out of shape over this, it's the other photographer.

I agree that the manner in which you chose to deal with this was extremely unprofessional. You've successfully sent up red flags over Hell and Creation which say, if you're unhappy about something, all you're going to do it whine about it so as many people as possible will hear it. You owe the client an apology for taking her to task on her Facebook page, and that apology, to mean anything and to be sincere, needs to be a public apology. I got a ten-spot that says the ability to make such an apology isn't in your DNA.

You probably could've saved this one but, instead, you took it public. No one is going to see your PM exchange, they're just going to see you whining.

That's probably not the best road to go down if you have a prayer of ever doing this professionally...

And you are dealing it in a very non-professional matter.

If I were a prospective client, this kind of response on your part would warn me away.
I wouldn't want to take the chance that you would respond in this excessive manner to something I'd done.
I'd just find someone who would smile and go on.

Exactly...

One thing that has not been covered is both your partners are both in the forces, do they serve together ? if so there does not want to be conflict between them when they need to trust each other 100%

OP, do not worry about it too much.

I could be wrong, but I think I know what you tried to do, but it does not work too well in this forum. As you may notice, most of the forum members who response here are guys including me. I know your post was not tried to find a solution, but that is what guys usually do -> See your post, interpret it and respond with a solution.

I am sure if you post it in a female oriented forum, you will receive different kind of responses.

This is a typical "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" type situation. As a guy, I will tell you your photo is not too bad, but just not as "pop" as the other one. And overall I feel her clothes drawn more attention than the girl.

I feel bad, but I'm highly annoyed today and apparently sick to top it off.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0.419878704717238&type=1&theater&notif_t=like
At least yours was level! :thumbup:

Okay, so here goes: If you're going to be serious about business, (and there's nothing wrong with doing something pro bono to help a friend out even if you are in business if it works in your business model), then put on your big-girl panties and ignore it. You're always going to have the odd client who doesn't like your work. Yours might have been the greatest shot in the world, but if the client doesn't like it, that does NOT make it bad. As well... did you sit down and do a consult, show her your portfolio, and explain, "this is the look and style of my images"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back