I'm looking for resources to help learn how to better photograph people

Aze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or succinctly, I want to shoot peeps better.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying shooting people but I suck at it. Living in FL you can only take so many pictures of palm trees and beaches. So people are great. Are there any must have books, sites, blogs I should check out regarding posing, lighting, any portraiture tips?

note: "how to shoot people better" is a loaded Google search string and I'm not comfortable with suspicious black vans.

Or succinctly, I want to shoot peeps better.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying shooting people but I suck at it. Living in FL you can only take so many pictures of palm trees and beaches. So people are great. Are there any must have books, sites, blogs I should check out regarding posing, lighting, any portraiture tips?

note: "how to shoot people better" is a loaded Google search string and I'm not comfortable with suspicious black vans.

I'm attending this USF certification program. In regards to people, studio lighting and studio lighting advanced classes have helped me tremendously. And Photography i not my career.

Continuing Education > Professional and Workforce Development > Photography

Stop thinking,and saying, that you "suck at it" for starters. Then, get off the computer and go down to the local library and get a book or two on photographing people. I can guarantee you that the librarians have actually picked out at least THREE books on how to do people photography of various types...librarians spend their careers selecting and buying books for people...people like you who are "not yet as good as they would like to eventually be" at various things...for people who suck at things...there is the Tampa Bay Bridge.

That's why I left Florida for good.

You need to travel. Travel to places where there are actually real "street scenes". Even small towns with "downtown" streets are good. You want to be in places where the people are authentic, not some tourist towns like every Floridan town where everything you shoot is either fake or cost money to shoot.

Alligators look like any other alligators after the first time.

Stop thinking,and saying, that you "suck at it" for starters. Then, get off the computer and go down to the local library and get a book or two on photographing people. I can guarantee you that the librarians have actually picked out at least THREE books on how to do people photography of various types...librarians spend their careers selecting and buying books for people...people like you who are "not yet as good as they would like to eventually be" at various things...for people who suck at things...there is the Tampa Bay Bridge.

No one sux bad enough to jump off our skyway bridge, but unfortunately people do on a regular basis. A lot of times FL highway patrolmen take their breaks parked up there to help prevent it.

I would throw my camera off before I jumped
bigthumb.gif

Like you said, 'shooting people better' is a loaded topic. Maybe narrow down your area of focus (pun intended).

For example, good portraits come from good lighting. So if you learn how to use/control/create good lighting, that will help you shoot better portraits.
Having you subject be comfortable in front of you camera is very important. Practice you people skills.
Posing is a subtle art. Learn how to pose people to look their best...learn to watch for things that don't look good in a photo and correct them before taking the photo.

You'd let a poor, innocent Nikon drown before you?? That is awful!

OP: It's simple. Two things: Learn and practice. Read, then do. Head over to YouTube; there a literally thousands of vides on this very topic (try the word 'portrait' in your search strings vice 'people') and then set up an account on Model Mayhem, and start practicing!

Mike--Nikon's have GOLD inside them--they SINK like The Oilers in the playoffs... they drop totally outta' sight without a whimper!!!!!!

Mike--Nikon's have GOLD inside them--they SINK like The Oilers in the playoffs... they drop totally outta' sight without a whimper!!!!!!
Whatchootalkin' 'bout Willis??? The Oilers never did ANYTHING without wimpering!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back