I'm struggling to decide on a camera, sensor size, mirrorless or SLR...Think you can help? ;)

DPreview has Studio comparisons, so at least you can look at those. Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

In this I picked RAW at 3200, in a low light scenario, with the focus on the lettering, because that's always easiest to compare for me (I feel like I'm just at the eye doctor, asking which is clearer. :p ) But you can play around to see which scenario seems more likely for you. You can also switch out the Nikon d7200 for one of the Canons if you'd like.

If you like Canon, stick with Canon. Don't switch brands because of spec sheets (and I say this as a die hard Sony fan, and Sony rocks the spec sheets.) The camera that will work the best for you is the one you enjoy using the most. Spec sheets show only a tiny, tiny portion of the whole picture (pun intended!)

Well I have older Canon lenses, and I think I may want to play around with their HDR feature. Other than that I'm disappointed that they have apparently allowed others, especially Nikon, to pull so far ahead of them.

The Sony a6300 seems to get good scores at dxomark, and isn't a very expensive camera, but I have read mixed things about that camera.

Sony makes the sensors for themselves and Nikon, so that's why it feels like "everyone" is pulling ahead of Canon. It's just that Sony makes killer sensors that do very well in studio testing scenarios. But as I mentioned before, Canon users often argue that Canon has better ergonomics, colors, etc. There are plenty of professional photographers that do amazing with Canon. A couple points on a spec sheet makes very little difference in the real world. It all depends on what you like.

For me, Canon and Nikon feel massive in my hands, and I know they would always sit at home. On the other hand, as soon as I held a Sony mirrorless, I fell in love. I didn't even get confused by the almost universally despised NEX menu systems. But others say they feel too small, the buttons are awkwardly placed, etc. It's purely personal taste. And for my fangirl side, I LOVE that Sony is shooting for the stars with their innovations. I mean, you could almost hear the jaws drop across the photography universe when they released the specs on the long-rumored a9. Like, are you kidding me? A mirrorless that could actually compete against the best of the best that Nikon and Canon have to offer? It's so ridiculous and fantastic and amazing and it gets me ridiculously excited, even if I can't afford it (and don't really have any reason to buy it if I could.)

I'm just saying, you have to go with the company that makes you happy. And honestly, that sounds like Canon. You're only looking at Nikon because they test well, you don't seem particularly excited about them as a brand. Do you really want to wear a Nikon strap around your neck? When people ask what camera you're using, will you be proud and excited to tell them about it? Probably not.

Canon has been resting on their laurels for a decade or so, but Sony is pushing them into action. Their CEO came out and said that they are pouring more money into R&D. They haven't yet made their last stand. The 80d was a huge step forward, as was the lastest mirrorless offering (M5? Maybe? I've forgotten.) They have a long history, a lot of money, and a massive fanbase. They have the potential to pull way ahead of the competition. Will they do it? Hard to tell. I'm not sure how long this three-way race between Sony, Nikon, and Canon can continue, but in the meantime, it's great for the consumers. They are all pushing each other to innovate faster and better than ever before, and it's so much fun to watch.

I know the camera doesn't make the photographer, amateur or pro, but I'd like to get the best camera that I can afford and justify, and take it from there. Usually that involves specs comparisons.

I have another question for those of you that would like to answer: Which VERY good cameras, enthusiast APS-C and least expensive full frame, are the most "amateur / beginner / enthusiast" "friendly"? Simple to use, simple to find controls, easy to find and select things...while still an upper level enthusiast camera?

I want something with temporary "training wheels" that I won't want to replace, for any reason, after the training wheels come off.

Derrel I said I did not want to buy an older USED full frame camera. I'd consider an older NEW full frame camera if I learned that it was superior to a less expensive new APS-C camera.
.... May come down to an APS-C camera with a much better lens immediately or a 6D and putting a new lens on hold until I knock down the credit card enough after purchasing the 6D.
?? what does that mean?
an APS-C has certain better attributes than a FF, *AND* Vice Versa.

... I have another question for those of you that would like to answer: Which VERY good cameras, enthusiast APS-C and least expensive full frame, are the most "amateur / beginner / enthusiast" "friendly"? Simple to use, simple to find controls, easy to find and select things...while still an upper level enthusiast camera?
Geez. go to a camera store, stop looking at the internet.

exclude from your choice these Nikons (don't ask, just take my word based on your statements): older D700 FX, D3x0 DX, D500 DX, D8x0 FX ... these cameras do not have any "training wheels"

Include: Nikon d750 FX, d6x0 FX, D7x00 DX. with Canon I guess include: 6D, 5d <any iteration> FX, and I don't know their crop cameras. But if you have any memory card type requirements then it may exclude certain cameras.

But don't forget FujiFilm has some excellent cameras in the X-T20, Xt-2.

Canon 70D,77D,80D. all good Canon APS-C bodies.Proven. Canon ergonomics.

Nikon D7100,D7200. D7200, best-performing APS-C "enthusiast-level"camera in the entire industry.PERIOD.

Nikon D750, D610, Nikon D600,Canon 6D, Canon 5D Classic, best to worst.

Not sure you can afford a Fuji X-series and lenses. Very nice, stylish, well-designed, thoughtful company that updates older models.

I say go used, get a feel for DSLR. I bought my D5000 for $75, 15-55 vr $75, 55-200 vr $75, promaster tripod for $50 w/ head, 10-20 sigma $220, I'm under $500 and it feels good, I can get my money back easy. I used facebook market place and offerup.

I already want to upgrade, but until I get a smoking deal...I'll hold.

Good luck!

I feel a natural gravitation towards Canon, probably because of my history with them, and because of the lenses I own, which might not work great on them but will probably work good on them for the time being, AND liking the idea of Canon's various HDR settings

BUT

according to what I have read, it appears that I'd be getting an inferior camera sticking with Canon.

So I am thinking about cutting my losses.

It really comes down to thinking I'd like the artistic HDR settings on the Canon and owning Canon lenses VS getting the better camera altogether..........and it has me sitting squarely on the fence.

It appears the Nikon D600 full frame can no longer be found new but would probably be around the same price as the Canon 6D full frame if it could...and probably kick the Canon's *** it looks like.

The Nikon D7200 APS-C is $1000 and the Canon 6D full frame is $1400 but if I am interpreting things correctly dxomark ranks the Nikon APS-C higher than the Canon full frame.

Even the Sony a6300 seems to rank higher than the Canon 80D at dxomark.

And they haven't given any results for the t7i or the 77D, which I'd be curious about because their sensor / processor combination is the latest offering from Canon and I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW HOW IT COMPARES!!! Falls short? Falls short by a mile?

And Derrel, no offense, but you planted the Canon doubt in my head!

edit: Just saw that the Nikon D610 can be had at Best Buy for $1500, which is probably an incredible camera at a cost just slightly higher than I wanted to go. But it would probably be a camera that kept me from desiring a different camera for a long time.

Last edited:
Here's yet another thing to consider: When most people are deciding on whether to get an APS-C or "full frame", they usually have some definite reason to do so, not simply to get the better camera.

Those two major sizes of cameras have different uses, different qualities, and different imaging.

One either needs a full size camera, or he doesn't. Once that decision has been made, he then narrows the choices WITHIN THAT PARTICULAR SIZE.

Your bouncing around between the two sizes is not helping you get to THE ONE camera.

I keep harping on this point ... "Significance" ... as in how significant are the camera differences, to a novice, between Nikon and Canon ... ? And will those differences "significantly" affect and effect your images.

To be honest ... mostly likely ... probably not.

ISO invariance, (Sony sensors), is significant as a tool to avoid blown out highlights, but should not be used as a crutch for bad exposures. Sony, Nikon, Fuji use Sony sensors in both FF and APS-C (off the top of my head).

FF will give you less DOF but how often do you need/want razor thin DOF? In practice, FF goes wide easier but APS-C goes long easier, (not proper photo tech talk, but I think you know what I mean). Typically, top level FF lenses are superior, APS-C are less expensive, FF lenses work on APS-C, APS-C doesn't work on FF. FF does better in extreme low light than APS-C, but how often do you shoot in "extreme" low light?

I have FF cameras (Canon 1D's), APS-C cameras (Fuji XT2 & XP2) and MFT cameras (Oly EM1) ... I have evolved to only shoot my Fuji's. The Fuji's are a great compromise between the IQ of FF and the small footprint of MFT.

Just because I shoot Fuji does not mean we should all shoot Fuji. Just my two cents of decades of shooting from the film only days until today. I cannot think of a shot I would have missed because of sensor size or camera manufacturer (see above).

There really isn't any right or wrong, black or white ... it is all subjective as to which system is right for you. Most of the DXO type specs do not translate directly into significance, as the image and the strength of the image is more important than the technical specs of the image, in determining image success.

Granted, a few photogs will appreciate a strong image with high IQ as being most desirable. But most viewers won't see the IQ.

Remember, the grass is always greener ...

Designer, my current only NEED for a full frame camera is the likelihood that I get a camera that will keep me content for a long time, satisfied that I won't be experiencing any "woulda / coulda / shoulda" with an APS-C camera.

As I said, if Derrel or dxomark didn't plant the seed in my head that Nikon is miles ahead of Canon I'd probably get a Canon, maybe an APSC or a full frame camera...

But when the Nikon D7200 APSC DOES look miles ahead of most affordable Canons and many full frame cameras on paper, including the Canon 6D full frame camera, I have to hesitate, research, and think about what I should do.

Then again, if I take a nice picture with a Canon camera, it will still be nice, and won't be compared with it's identical picture taken from a Nikon camera.

But there is something to say for getting the best camera you can in your price range as a starting point. The research and comparisons have been done to help us make decision (sometimes! ;) ) so might as well utilize it, not consider it and then go with the inferior camera!

But yeah, in real life use it seems that Canon cameras are liked every bit as much as Nikon cameras, or more. All of these cameras get 4 and a half star reviews from Joe Citizen at Best Buy, Amazon and Adorama! And in some case the Canons get higher reviews than the Nikons.

But I go with what the nerds in the labs and out in the field say!

At imaging resource, regarding the 6D vs the D610:

"But there are other areas in which the Canon 6D wins which will be of great interest to HDR and effect photography fans. Although both cameras have similar exposure lock and compensation features, the 6D has a much wider bracketing range. Nikon's D610 allows only two or three-frame bracketed exposures, where Canon allows two, three, five, or even seven-shot bracketing. The 6D also boasts better in-camera HDR merging, combining three exposures instead of the two-shot HDR supply by Nikon. And it has a more powerful multiple exposure function, too, allowing a nine-shot merge that's three times as generous as the Nikon's three-shot multiple exposure function."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back