im sure its been discussed dslr vs digi cam?

also someone said earlier the D40 would only be good for snapshots? can someone explain please?

This isn't true.. With the right lenses, the D40 is a very capable camera.

See pictures taken with a d40 here. < Click me.

also someone said earlier the D40 would only be good for snapshots? can someone explain please?

If you want to make yourself feel good about the D40 read this unbias review by the INTERNATIONAL KNOWN PHOTOGRAPHer KEN ROCKWELL.

Nikon D40

^^click that

Last edited:
when am i "ready" tp upgrade to a dslr though? i dont know how else to phrase that, what are some key signs that its time to move on up to the east side?

You can't explain it really, it's just something you KNOW. Sorta like being in love but totally different :) I have a P&S at the moment, it lives in my pocket or bag. I love it and it goes a lot of places with me. But sometimes I just wanna scream because I just can't get the shot I want with it as the "manual" settings are very limited.

Like last week. There was a huge huge huge cheesey moon, absolutely beautiful. DF and I, with the dog, drove to the end of town to watch it. I took my P&S and my tripod. Nothing I did could get a shot of that moon. That frustrated the hell out of me.

That's just one example. I guess I'm trying to say that you will know you're ready for a DSLR when you feel the way I did on that night. Once it happens once, it's going to keep happening and then you're doomed ;)

Though I'm still gonna keep my P&S as it's great to bring on a night out when there's a very good chance beer will get spilt on it!! It's surprisingly waterproof......

You can't explain it really, it's just something you KNOW. Sorta like being in love but totally different :) I have a P&S at the moment, it lives in my pocket or bag. I love it and it goes a lot of places with me. But sometimes I just wanna scream because I just can't get the shot I want with it as the "manual" settings are very limited.

Like last week. There was a huge huge huge cheesey moon, absolutely beautiful. DF and I, with the dog, drove to the end of town to watch it. I took my P&S and my tripod. Nothing I did could get a shot of that moon. That frustrated the hell out of me.

That's just one example. I guess I'm trying to say that you will know you're ready for a DSLR when you feel the way I did on that night. Once it happens once, it's going to keep happening and then you're doomed ;)

Though I'm still gonna keep my P&S as it's great to bring on a night out when there's a very good chance beer will get spilt on it!! It's surprisingly waterproof......

thats what i thought, i feel like im getting there...........

i tinkered with my parents point and shoot for years never really understanding the photography thing, until i sat and used my friends xt to shoot a drift event, and then my other buddies d300 to take some shots. i fell in love with photography, as soon as i had the money i went out and got a D40, its a great camara and dont let people down play it, its very capable.

when am i "ready" tp upgrade to a dslr though? i dont know how else to phrase that, what are some key signs that its time to move on up to the east side?
For me, it was when I couldn't stand the slow focus lock and shutter lag on my old Olympus C-750 anymore.

Most reactions

Back