In memoriam

pursuer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have already posted this in the general gallerybut I have decided to post it here as well because I would like some critique.

I was immediatly struck by this dead moth tucked out of the way in a dusty summer camp. I was trying to capture the "dark grittiness" for lack of a better term. Blast away :)

bubblesmoth1bw5xl.jpg

Defnitely not a shot I was expecting to see with that title...I think some sort of crop might be in order...tighter on both sides, and maybe a bit more contrast to really show the textures of the wall and moth...

Thanks for the suggestions, Is this an improvment?

bubblesmoth1bbw0zh.jpg

No I do miss the crack in the wall which I like so well in the original version... But the texture of the paint is very nice ... you know, all the "curls" there!?
(And I still like how you honoured the dead moth with a photo!)

i tried to edit it to give it more contrast but all i end up is your original pic :D too bad... it lacks contrast and there's nothing you can do.

i see today i'm in an edit mood rather than a comment mood but it is my responsability :lol:

and the crop doesn't work because it's the wrong way... there should be space on the right of the moth not the left, in front of it not behind it. if it's in front it looks natural, leaving it space to move... well as much as a dead moth can move :lol: leave space only behind and you'll cramp it into a tight space to the right, it lacks space, the brain doesn't like that :D

Eydryan, just as a side remark to you (meaning only well!): not everyone really want their photo to be edited by someone else as a means of critique. Some do. Others don't. Try to be very sensitive as to who would want that and who would not. Some put "OTE" underneath their photos. That means "OK to edit". With them it is ok. With others I would really just try to put suggestions as to how improve into WORDS, not into an edition of their work.

yeah well it usually helps to see what somebody else thinks is good in a visual way rather that scriptic. i know about the ote tag but i also know that many people (me including) are too lazy to put that little tag on, and most people don't mind as long as they understand that it is all in the name of education and perfecting oneself. i prefer to put both where possible and usually only edit a pic when there are big defects runining a beautiful shot, like colour casts. well anyway, we all have our style :D

Thanks, for the comments guys. LaFoto I agree with you about the crack, I rather like it as well.

Eydryan, No worries about the edit, but I am usually pretty good at squeezing everything out of an image with PS.

I decided to have him facing out of the frame in the second crop because as you said yourself, he's not going anywhere. I thought it echoed his passing out of this world. Does a photograph always have to have a pleasing composition? Death is a rather discomforting subject, perhaps it's only appropriate that a photograph dealing with it makes the brain a little uncomfortable. Ok, now that I have defended the second crop, I have to admit that I very much prefer the first one. :lmao:

Ya I know that Im going a little overboard, It is just a dead moth after all, but the shot was taken at an old summer camp my 73 year old uncle had been living in. He was just killed in an accident last week and this is one of the photos I took when I went up to help get his afairs in order. I suppose I should have explained this earlier, it explains the title a bit, I had death on the brain so to speak at the time.

I have decided to reshoot this next time I go up, I left the moth just where he was.

Thanks again guys.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
i like the fact that you left the moth there :D and you're going back to it:lol:

but it really doesn't look dead. that's why the crop. and my oppinion is that everyone who breaks the rule is either a genius or a fool. so if it's not a work of genius, it's probably not worth breaking the rules for. and these aren't rules, they're psychological guidelines, in order to help the mind look easier at the photo.

The shot is OK...I would like to see it with a bit more contrast, selectively more in the non-moth areas so as not to loose detail under the wings. As has been suggested, this can be done in basic levels/curves adjustments - along with layering techniques combined with the use of the lasso tool (if you have something similar to Photoshop...).

eydryan said:
most people don't mind as long as they understand that it is all in the name of education and perfecting oneself.

An assumption well avoided in forums like this. Ask first and if the querry is ignored, then err on the safe side of courtesy and don't re-post someone else's work without their permission.

An assumption well avoided in forums like this. Ask first and if the querry is ignored, then err on the safe side of courtesy and don't re-post someone else's work without their permission.

let's not get technical, and let's not highjack the post. it's not the case here, so let's drop it. if you wanna get into details pls start a thread in the photogtaphic discutions forum.

eydryan said:
let's not get technical, and let's not highjack the post. it's not the case here, so let's drop it. if you wanna get into details pls start a thread in the photogtaphic discutions forum.
I don't intend to hijack this thread, either, but LaFoto's point is well taken. Here are the guidelines for easy review; please note #5. ;) Thanks. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23315

I actually like the first image, but would agree a tighter crop, with a bit more contrast, would be more interesting. I love the crack in the wall, too - maybe a longer DOF would bring it all into sharper detail? Glad you're able to go for a re-shoot; we'll get to see the decay process too! :lol:

i know the guidelines and i also know that guidelines means "an official recommendation indicating how something should be done or what sort of action should be taken in a particular circumstance" , recommendation means "the act of recommending something
" :lol: and recommending means "suggest something as good idea" :D

anyway, i've had no complaints so far so i refuse to argue with you untill there is precedent. :p all your points are well taken but i do things my way and right until now they've worked quite fine. this being said and all i really really think this is what they call thread highjacking :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back