Indoor flash with natural light

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Granddaughter singing frozen song... I think. She has a great voice for 4 years old.

My goal was to get nice even light across the face with sharp focus, good color, and sense of volume (not flat looking). There was overcast, late day natural light coming in from window on right side of frame. I used my SB400 (Portrait) with soft diffuser, angled in 45 degree to left of frame on my Nikon P7100 so not to blow out face or blouse. Satisfied with setting A mode came up with using F/3.5, 1/30s, ISO 200, 13mm, hand held. Slight crop, +4 sharpen, and slight + DLight, in post. It appears I got it. I am satisfied with my goal and minimal time in post. Making sure i am seeing this correctly. Any direction or comments are welcome.

One thing I thought I did but didn't, set camera to RAW fine.
DSCN0063.JPG

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd say you done did good. Nice lighting on the child, well balanced without outdoor ambient; no flash burn.
Cool. I was hoping I was seeing it right. I read a lot of feedback on here and I don't always understand what is being said.

Looks like you achieved a very solid exposure. Kids sure do love the movie Frozen!

Thanks Derrel!

She's standing too close to a cluttered background, also the white balance feels a bit too blue.

chuasam said:
She's standing too close to a cluttered background, also the white balance feels a bit too blue.

DSCN0063_eyedropper on rug as neutral.JPG

No WB adjustment but a click on the gray rug with the eyedropper tool, and a -39 Yellow for the wig.

Thanks!

I just recently saw this. Not sure why you didn't get more responses. I have a couple pictures of my twin brother Matt. It's well done, both of them. I really enjoyed taking a family members picture. Thanks for the memories.

Beautiful little girl. Good exposure. Only negative I see is maybe to much in the background.

Beautiful little girl. Good exposure. Only negative I see is maybe to much in the background.
Oh my, that was when I first got started. Lol. borderline zombie thread. Thanks smoke.

I just recently saw this. Not sure why you didn't get more responses. I have a couple pictures of my twin brother Matt. It's well done, both of them. I really enjoyed taking a family members picture. Thanks for the memories.
Thanks. Just started out with a camera back then. Lol

Most reactions

Back