indoor lighting help! (includes photos)

sarabil1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so, i've been doing more photoshoots lately and i'm still having trouble perfecting my indoor lighting equipment and it's quite frustrating. no matter how much i play with it i cant get it right.

the equipment i'm using: Canon 20d, promaster lighting kit including two 160ws light heads, stands, and 2 umbrellas(white and silver).

i'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what to set the lights at on the back of the heads. it's just confusing me a lot. here's some of my experimental shots:

pics008.jpg

pics021.jpg

(fun fact: i'm in the middle-ha)

some photos of my dad's friend's band:
bandphotos056.jpg

bandphotos069.jpg

any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Their faces are underexposed and the lighting is uneven, the thing regarding lighting is knowing how/where to position the lights for what you want to achieve, in this case it appears most of the light is directed on the lower bodies/floor=not good, invest in a light meter, learn how to use it and read up on lighting for portraiture etc, its not what you got its how you use it, get to know your equipment and its limitations. H

PS. cant find anything about settings for these lights but if you have full and half power settings, place both lights at same distance to subject (about 10-15 feet), on either side of your shooting position, approx height 6 feet, turn one to full, (main light) one to half, (fill light) then try aperture of F8-F11, if theyre still dark open up a stop, if theyre blown out close down a stop, trial n error without a lightmeter but you'll see what I mean, use the modeling light to determine where your shadows are and tilt/position heads to suit.

Last edited:
Their faces are underexposed and the lighting is uneven, the thing regarding lighting is knowing how/where to position the lights for what you want to achieve, in this case it appears most of the light is directed on the lower bodies/floor=not good, invest in a light meter, learn how to use it and read up on lighting for portraiture etc, its not what you got its how you use it, get to know your equipment and its limitations. H

Thanks for the advice. I have tried numerous times to find any type of information regarding how to use my lights and their settings correctly to no avail. I've never used a light meter so maybe that would be of benefit, but as of now I haven't had much luck on finding anything on my lights. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back