Indoor portraiture essential kit idea?

hulk2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendation of what is needed in lightening portraiture photography? So far I've got SB910 and soft biz diffuser though. I'm aiming for indoor portraiture being able to match studio quality if possible but being mobile rather then bound by fixed location.

Sounds like you've got almost everything you need. You can do some very nice work with a single speedlight and softbox ( http://www.johnsphotography.ca/hold/Temp/Eva%20(2).jpg ) but of course more is always better. The one thing that I would say you 'need' is a reflector. A nice 42" 5 in 1 reflector will do nicely, though if you're on a budget, even a sheet of white Coroplast or posterboard will work well.

Yup. One light portraiture is not only possible but it can be very nice.

There are so many websites, I just decided to send a link to the first page.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=one-light+portraits&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I use a white umbrella with the speedlight and a large sheet of white foam-core on the opposite side. That setup yields some difference between the two sides to optimize the light. A softbox instead of the umbrella would yield somewhat different light if you have one.

Yup. One light portraiture is not only possible but it can be very nice.

There are so many websites, I just decided to send a link to the first page.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=one-light+portraits&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I use a white umbrella with the speedlight and a large sheet of white foam-core on the opposite side. That setup yields some difference between the two sides to optimize the light. A softbox instead of the umbrella would yield somewhat different light if you have one.

Interestingly, one of the first photos shown in the link above is a Joe McNally shot, of the African-America male, shot with a huge $1,264 Elinchrom Oct 74-inch light modifier Elinchrom 26158 Octa Light Bank 74in for Soft Lighting EL 26158

and the dual accent lights were made with $1,094 worth of Nikon SB-910 speedlights....in other words, a $2,357 three-light shot...and if we assume the Elinchrom 74-incher was powered with a third SB-910, add another $547 to the price...$2,905.

The shot of the blonde woman also appears to be a two-light setup, based on the bright, hot highlights on the hair and the left side of the woman's body...

THe other shots appear to be one-light shots, but the most dramatic and eye-catchlng shots in that small group are MULTI-light-source shots. Not that one light is bad, it's not, but we are seeing a lot of images these days made with three individual light sources, and a SECOND light source, to light the background, is a HUGE bonus in many situations. A third, and even a fourth light create a huge additional range of lighting effects that are immediately at your disposal.

I think if you want to go with speedlights, there's not a lot of genuine need to pay for high-cost, TTL-capable lights. How much money you have to spend really determines what you buy. You can go cheap, low-end, mid-level, high-level, or super-deluxe, and spend $200 to $4,000.

Last edited:
The high-end multiple-light shots not withstanding, my intent was to show the OP that there are indeed many one-light setups that work fine. And given that he already owns an SB-910, the search for one-light portrait shots was intended to be his starting point.

I use one speed light primarily. I have a second but I am an amateur at best. So using 1 lets you focus on making the most of what you have, makes you be more creative. Most of the time if I use the second flash, its to back light the subject or light the backdrop.

I use one speed light primarily. I have a second but I am an amateur at best. So using 1 lets you focus on making the most of what you have, makes you be more creative. Most of the time if I use the second flash, its to back light the subject or light the backdrop.

Yes, I got that part...but two of the best-looking portraits, meaning the two that actually "stood out" to me were...multi-light shots...

Just saying...if the OP wants "studio quality portraits", that takes more than a single flash and an umbrella...

As far as one light forcing a person to be creative...uh, no...it forces one to live within the limits of what no backlight, no accent light, no kicker light,no hairlight, and no background gels, and no fill light unit can do...being forced to choose from far,far fewer options is not expanded creativity.

My aim is to be as remote/compact as possible and that's shooting portraits on location rather being bound to my studio waiting for the client to turn up etc. Today people are already busy enough and I think my remote service turning up in clients house with mobile studio will be win win for both parties. Therefore I am trying to get as mobile as possible while buying my gear. So far I've got sb910, d800 and 3 prime G lenses. Not sure what's next and that's the point. Some advising on anther few nikon speed lights, some invest in consistent light (soft boxes)..

I'm a bit confused here to be honest...

Don't bother with the constant lights. One of the beautiful things about using only speedlights is never having to worry about power. Yes, you can power continuous lights with inverters, but the batteries won't last long. If you've got one 910 now, I would look for one more (or a used 900) and then 2 SB700s. I would add one or two Lastolite Ezyboxes, stands, and you'll be off to the races! I do a LOT of work with a kit very similar to this and it serves me well!

These get great reviews @ $200 LumoPro: product

If you're going on location/environmental then I'd suggest getting a flash meter, fiddling around trying to get the lights right and chimping after every shot frustrates a client no end. After all, they could have done that.

Here's all you need........ you just have to figure out how to modify the light to meet your needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back