inexpensive lighting setup?

jackfrost

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I started doing some photo work for my wife's bakery business. you can check out what i've got so far at her website:
http://www.getsweetnothings.com

Basically what I'm doing is putting the food on a white sheet in the dining room, and crowding as many lights around as possible. I set my Rebel XT into portrait mode with no flash. it seems to be working okay, but I am thinking that some extra studio-style lighting might help, and be easier to set up.

here are the caveats: i am pretty much a n00b, and haven't done any post-processing of the images on the site. her business isn't making money yet, and I don't have much disposable income, so options must be cheap, or may consist of "creative construction". i am handy. ;)

thanks for the input.

The shots look OK...but they need some post processing. The white balance seems to be a bit off...and they look a bit under exposed. (the whites are not white)

Shoot in RAW mode...that will allow you to change the WB after the shot, in the computer. It also give you more leeway with exposure.

If you really want some studio type lighting...I suggest buying or building a light tent. It's basically a tent made of white translucent fabric. Then you can use lamps or whatever to light up the outside of the tent. Then light inside will be nice and soft.

jackfrost said:
I started doing some photo work for my wife's bakery business. you can check out what i've got so far at her website:
http://www.getsweetnothings.com

Basically what I'm doing is putting the food on a white sheet in the dining room, and crowding as many lights around as possible. I set my Rebel XT into portrait mode with no flash. it seems to be working okay, but I am thinking that some extra studio-style lighting might help, and be easier to set up.

here are the caveats: i am pretty much a n00b, and haven't done any post-processing of the images on the site. her business isn't making money yet, and I don't have much disposable income, so options must be cheap, or may consist of "creative construction". i am handy. ;)

thanks for the input.

The shots are good, in my opinion, but the whites need to be WHITER... so I would do that in post.

Download "PICASA 2" from google. Its easy to use for noobies, me too, and you can get some AMAZING results... seriously.

Look at this pic of mine:

318069367_46ca3ff8d8.jpg

The lighting was ONE walmart floorlamp, and I intentionally burnt the background (a fuzzy white blanket) and overexposed it in Picasa 2.

thos epicturs on the website are not that bad, atleast i have seen worst, my photography solution to most things is try it, its digital, trian and eror is the best way to learn (ususaly)

I think technically, your shots are good; it's probably time to start thinking about artistry. Have you considered using focus, lighting and depth of field to focus on one cookie, for example? Instead of using the portrait mode, I would simply crank the aperature as wide as possible, move in closer (to eliminate as much background as possible) and focus on a the closest cookie. This gives the impression of a field of cookies, which implies your wife's business is full of cookies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back