Inner Conflict

CindyLoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the past four years all I've wanted to do is become a photographer.
I love photography; everything about it. It's the only thing I've ever felt so passionate about.
I would love nothing more to one day be a photojournalist. But I can't help but think what a struggle I will face to persue a career in art.
I was in an art exhibit with Deborah Willis and she told me, "No one will ever encourage you to be an artist, because it's not safe, its not guaranteed."
And thats very true. It isn't guaranteed and that is a very frightful thing.
What are your guys' feelings on this? I am still young (19 next week :D) and don't know much about the business aspect of photography.
Is wanting to be a photographer too ambitious?
Or any type of artist for that matter?

Be a photographer if you want.

but don't abandon everything else. You should always be able to support yourself, but there's nothing stopping you from pursuing it.

I call my self a photographer although I'm strictly a hobbyist only. People always tell me I should get into the business but it is art, it is subjective, and it is hard to get a business properly rolling. That hasn't stopped many people though.

Is wanting to be a doctor too ambitious? Wanting to be President too ambitious? Everyone has these thoughts, but if no one took a chance and went for it, humans would still live in caves.

Get a pad and pen. Now ask your self: "In 10 years, what will be the thing that I am most disappointed in myself for not having done?", "In 10 years, what will be the things that I am most disappointed in myself for having done?" Then write down the answers.

Now, do the same for 20 years and then for 50 years. Think hard about this (if you don't then don't bother with the questions because it won't matter- you'll be like 98% of everyone else and will let life happen to you like a mugging) and it will be hard because it's almost imposable for someone who hasn't lived to be 30 or 40 or 70 to fully understand what it feels like to be that age. Don't let this stop you though, you can cheat and go and ask people who are of those ages what the think about all of this.

Now that you have completed the questions you need to understand that you have just (effectively) traveled back in time from your future self and can now change- just a few of- the major blunders in your life.

If you want to take pretty pictures photo journalism isnt for you. I got burn by taking pretty photos by a vetern PJ. But sometimes it does work however pj is about telling a story. My photographic style has alot of syncro-sun used in it with a high depth of field. His style is alwas shooting 2.8 wide open for every shooting condition.

I enjoy my career, and I enjoy photography. I'm pretty good at both.

I think far more pernicious is the notion that a person can only be one thing - an artist, or a business man, or a doctor - for instance. There was a time when it was possible, and encouraged - even expected - to be multiple things, to have more than one talent.

In the US, which is still recognizably a society that was founded by good Christians, creativity is looked upon as a little bit odd. It's an idle-hand kind of thing, a good trustworthy person should spend her time working, and not bothering with these kinds of whims and pursuits.

Do what you want. None of these things are absolutes, and none represent a capitulation in the face of the other. It's possible to be TWO things (or even THREE or FOUR). Not everyone will trust it or take it seriously. You'll just need to learn to keep one part to yourself initially, and only share it with people you trust. There's a lot of bankers and accountants who don't know that I'm a creative photographer, and there's plenty of artists whom I don't tell that I'm a business man. Neither can believe that it's possible to be both, and I don't want to spend the time proving things to them they've learned to assume about the world around them.

Generally takes a lot of dedication to be in the arts. Let alone photography. My first thought is that if you are even slightly doubtful about the field then do not do it. On second thought everyone is different. The decision is up to you alone.

When I was your age I switched between the Graphic Arts and Photography a lot. I always ended up in photography because it is my deepest passion. All the horror stories that you have heard about the field are true. And they will happen to you. Keep in mind that you are a smart person. You will not starve. If you do not do what you love things can get very tough.

Also keep in mind that I am living proof that eating Ramden noodles for long periods of time can still be healthy. Being comfortable is definitely overrated.

Oh yeah. If I can be successful in photography anyone can.

Love & Bass

Many people think to be a photographer you have to be an artist. But this isn't the case. There is a lot about photography that has very little if anything to do with art. Photojournalisum and documentary type photography are two good examples. You can be a very good and successful photographer without being an artist. Just like a lot of artist can be very good and successful without being photographers (there are a lot of very talented artists that can't take a picture to save their lives).

If you want to be a photographer, then work towards that goal. Learn as much of the technical aspects of taking pictures as you can. Learn about lighting, exposure, composition, how colors work together, shading and shadows, how ISO, fstop and shutter speeds all work together, focal lenths and aspect ratios, how to use distortion or eleminate it... all of the technical parts of photography can be learned and mastered. Anyone that knows most of these can do very well at photography.

Mike

Life is way too short not to do as you want.

Many people think to be a photographer you have to be an artist. But this isn't the case. There is a lot about photography that has very little if anything to do with art. Photojournalisum and documentary type photography are two good examples. You can be a very good and successful photographer without being an artist. Just like a lot of artist can be very good and successful without being photographers (there are a lot of very talented artists that can't take a picture to save their lives).

If you want to be a photographer, then work towards that goal. Learn as much of the technical aspects of taking pictures as you can. Learn about lighting, exposure, composition, how colors work together, shading and shadows, how ISO, fstop and shutter speeds all work together, focal lenths and aspect ratios, how to use distortion or eleminate it... all of the technical parts of photography can be learned and mastered. Anyone that knows most of these can do very well at photography.

Mike

I disagree with everything you say in this post. In a friendly way.

Love & Art

I disagree in the following sense. I think there's a difference between a photographer and a person that takes photos. To be a photographer, you have to have an art sense and be creating art. Otherwise, you're just a person who takes photos.

Photojournalism and Documentary photographs (if taken well and correctly) can be an artform in their own sense.

I would frame a good Formula One photo and hang it on the wall, but I garuntee many others would look at it as a picture of a car and not art.

No one person can judge what is and isn't art because it changes for each person. You can only decide what is art to you, not in general and I think all photographers are artists, some are just better artists than others.

Most reactions

Back