Insurance for our cameras and such??????

STICKMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After getting my new D-40 today I was wondering if there is a outside source that offers insurance on these types of items? If so who and how much. I know I can put a rider on my home owners polcy but I was wondering if there is any other way. Any links or info would be great, Thanks in advance.

I do not know it myself. I think you can contact your insurance agent and see. I am sure they should know more and may have a great product for you. )

Rider on your home insurance would probably be the cheapest.

I am sure that there are specific purpose insurers for this kind of thing. Usually some kind of professional business insurance may cover it if you use the camera in a small business.

Mine is on the home owner's policy and covered for everything. Along with other things we have a total of $10000 insured this way and it only costs $270 / year.

Yeah I know a couple Photographers that have their camera and all their gear covered under house / renters insurance.

I've only got $600 in coverage from SPS, which sadly is enough to cover almost one of my strobes lol.

PPA has more and better coverage, as well as other benefits, of course at a premium. Look into it.

I have renters insurance and pretty much everything I own is protected under normal loss type stuff, including theft.

If you start getting into some higher end equipment, you can join the PPA and get discounted equipment insurance. Right now, there's no point in dropping $300 on insurance for a $500 camera.

My buddy is getting reimbursed something to the tune of $9000 because he fell off a rock into a few feet of salt water with his camera bag over his shoulder and lost three camera bodies and a load of pro glass.

Just got off the phone with my insurance company here in Toronto, Canada and here is the scoop - $1,200 value rider for an additional $22 a year! Protects me anywhere in the world from theft, loss and any damage, even if I do it myself, with a rider it also waives the deductable and gives me replacement value.

Just got off the phone with my insurance company here in Toronto, Canada and here is the scoop - $1,200 value rider for an additional $22 a year! Protects me anywhere in the world from theft, loss and any damage, even if I do it myself, with a rider it also waives the deductable and gives me replacement value.

You may want to confirm that this is personal use only; I am not sure if you are looking to charge for your photos, but if the insurance determines the loss was while working they may not cover it.
I had to change from home insurance to small business to have my equipment covered.

I am going to be using my camera as a hobby. The agent did ask that question, I should have found out what the difference was in price, but I wonder if it would be much higher.

Just make sure of a couple things...

1. ^^^ what he said +1
2. Make sure you have no deductible... it costs an extra buck or two a year, but worth it. (otherwise you may wind up having to cover up to $500 of the replacement cost... or whatever your decuctable is)

My insurance agent wants me to drop off copies of receipts and serial numbers and then they will put together a package for me. I am looking for the same coverage as what jg123 has. Also a hobbyist too.

I work in the insurance industry. Generally speaking the home owner's or renters insurance should cover personal property, such as your camera, in your homeland and outside of the country. This type of insurance is generally not expensive. However be aware of the deductible. Generally speaking there is often a $500 deductible for a loss of your personal item (but other deductibles available). If the value of the lost item is beyond $500, then they don't pay you for the first $500 which will be out of pocket loss for you. Then beyond that $500 up to the cash value of the item, the insurance pays you. If the item worth less than $500, you get paid none assuming the deductible is $500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back