Integrated Walking Pole + Tripod - 4th Year University Project Participation

James McKernan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

First post on the forums and I'm hoping to get a positive reception. I am a 4th year university student studying product design and I am currently doing my final year project. For this project I have to design a complete product of my own conception and right now I am at the research stage. The product I am creating is very much a legitimate design and the research is the key to its fruition.

So what is this product I speak of? Well, I wouldn't be posting on this forum without good reason. The product I am designing is a combination of a trekking pole, for hiking/hillwalking/skiing/any activity involving walking poles, with that of a camera tripod.

I'm posting on this forum to get some feedback from the genuine people in my target market. I would really, really appreciate if you could take the time to fill out my research survey, it should only take a few minutes and hopefully shouldn't bore you. This survey will go a long way to helping me establish the specifications of my product and the requirements and needs of the user. There is a more detailed description of the product and the idea behind it on the survey.

Survey here

Thank you very, very much for taking the time and please, if you have any comments, questions or wish to share an opinion do not hesitate, everything helps.

I think it's been done.

I think it's been done.
Not properly or very effectively. There are walking pole monopods out there and a few simplified tripods however these aren't particularly useful as it is only bottom quarter of the pole which contains legs and these are not even adjustable. I am trying to blend the functionality of both products without compromising on the ability of either.

Honestly I'd have to see some CAD rendering or prototypes to know how I'd feel about it.

Honestly I'd have to see some CAD rendering or prototypes to know how I'd feel about it.
Yeah I understand. It's hard to get an idea of what a product would look like unless there's a virtual/physical representation or the designer is a painter of words. Sadly at this early stage I am only conducting research so I don't any such representations. The simplest way I can describe the idea without going into horrendous paragraphs of detail is: a walking pole with three collapsible legs extending from the grip. Think of a walking pole, slightly thicker, where the pole itself separates into three extendable segments. I have included a summary on the survey. If you still can't picture it or don't want to participate, don't worry about it!

Cheers

If you haven't already seen a Trek Pod, make sure you look that up. I think that's the best-known prior implementation of this idea. I bought one a number of years ago and used it up over the course of hiking / camping trips too numerous to recall. I put a lot of miles on the Trek Pod, so I know from whence I speak -- it was absolutely better than no tripod at all, but not by much.

For me, it's pretty important to understand whether this product is actually an improvement over what's already been done.

Glancing through the survey, there are a couple questions in there that don't make a ton of sense -- ex: you ask about a quick release as well as "universal mount". I've also got a problem with the "short and portable when not in use" item -- the correct measurement scale for that isn't really one through five, it's (1) fits in carry-on; (2) fits in checked bag; or (3) needs oversized container to fly (which, by the way, is a non-starter).

If you haven't already seen a Trek Pod, make sure you look that up. I think that's the best-known prior implementation of this idea. I bought one a number of years ago and used it up over the course of hiking / camping trips too numerous to recall. I put a lot of miles on the Trek Pod, so I know from whence I speak -- it was absolutely better than no tripod at all, but not by much.

For me, it's pretty important to understand whether this product is actually an improvement over what's already been done.
Thanks for your response. I do indeed know of the Trek Pod, it's actually been a key factor in my design thinking. From what I have seen, many people feel the same as yourself, it's better than no tripod at all but doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. Same goes for it in the trekking pole department. The aim of my redesign is to redesign the walking pole and the tripod into a single, simple and light piece of equipment with the unchanged and uncompromised functionality of both products. And I do understand the difficulty in this idea, but that's where my design comes in. Thanks again for you input!

Glancing through the survey, there are a couple questions in there that don't make a ton of sense -- ex: you ask about a quick release as well as "universal mount". I've also got a problem with the "short and portable when not in use" item -- the correct measurement scale for that isn't really one through five, it's (1) fits in carry-on; (2) fits in checked bag; or (3) needs oversized container to fly (which, by the way, is a non-starter).
Thanks again Lambert. The universal mount is simply a screwhead mount which allows the attachment of multiple camera types and sizes. For the 'portability when not in use' I simply want to know how important that factor is instead of specific sizes for the product. i.e. it's extremely important the product is small when collapsed or it's moderately important etc. This factor was included in the thinking that people will understand that the product is going to be compact when not in use, I am asking how important that factor is in comparison to others. Cheers

The inherent problem with any combination product is that there will be compromises. You want something stable enough to actually be useful as a tripod but compact and light enough to use as a hiking pole. Currently I use a lightweight tripod strapped to my backpack and 3 stage hiking ski poles.

I wish you the best of luck but this seems like a very tall order.

I have had a Manfrotto 682b self standing monopod for a while now. works great.
Self Standing Monopod Black 682B - Classic Series | Manfrotto

I got one too. its decent but I would never try a long exposure with it. Plus it's heavy.

I do want to get one of these for video. Manfrotto Fluid Monopod with 500 Series Head MVM500A B&H Photo

The inherent problem with any combination product is that there will be compromises. You want something stable enough to actually be useful as a tripod but compact and light enough to use as a hiking pole. Currently I use a lightweight tripod strapped to my backpack and 3 stage hiking ski poles.

I wish you the best of luck but this seems like a very tall order.

Agreed it is a tall order, but my target and work as a designer is to create a product where there are no compromises. It is difficult to convey the design or even the idea to people when that thing does not yet exist, particularly based on a description from another person. I chose to go forward with this design in particular because it is difficult. Coming from my background it's easier to comprehend the feasibility and it's difficult to convey that to people from so many different backgrounds.

I have had a Manfrotto 682b self standing monopod for a while now. works great.
Self Standing Monopod Black 682B - Classic Series | Manfrotto

I got one too. its decent but I would never try a long exposure with it. Plus it's heavy.

I do want to get one of these for video. Manfrotto Fluid Monopod with 500 Series Head MVM500A B&H Photo

I've done a lot of research into these types of pole/pods and I have gone forward with the idea of a tripod as it has greater advantages and features over a simple monopod, which as you know has already been done.

Your survery has no mention of working height. I brought a hike stick/monopod combination several years ago and hardly ever use it as the maximum height is not suitable for a DSLR (unless I'm kneeling perhaps). IMO a monopod needs to reach at least shoulder height to be comfortable. Tripods may get away with being slightly lower, but
ideally it should reach close to eye level, so as to give familiar perspective/views.

IMO acheiving a truely sturdy tripod that is also easy to transport hasn't really been acheived even without trying to combine it with a walking pole.

I took the survey, but truthfully one can't really take the survey as it asks questions as if you have used or seen the product you are describing.
You have no pictures, nor even simple mockups, sketches on the back of beer napkins, etc

Also, your intro paragraph - you need to rewrite it as a product description. Your Summary should summarize your description not provide a better description than your description. How compact is it, how much weight does it hold, what type of clamps are used, how tall is the tripod, how much does it extend that, how sturdy is the extension , geared , etc?

Your description allows a reader to make it into anything that they think it may be. Wow, this folds neatly into the pocket while expanding into a 8 foot thick legged carbon fiber/kevlar & titanium professional tripod that supports 32 US lbs of equipment. Pretty neat.

and your email .. have it at the beginning .. "I require an email address" vs "you are not obliged to disclose your email in any way" -- somewhat contradictory.

FYI, My hiking pole is spring loaded, super light, and strong and long. It also has a spike on the end and baskets I have it about 5 feet long most of the time. Also the handle is most important as you have to be able to roll your hand from the grip to the top of the grip to help push yourself up - no room for a camera mount there unless it's removable. I also use my pole for leaning/resting on when using the camera/tripod. So, I'll always need a separate hiking pole.

Last edited:
I forgot .. no clasps on a hiking pole. When going up/down rocky/bushy/steep areas or in general, a clasp can get whipped open by a branch, brush, etc. Thus collapsing you to the ground. My poles are twist lock type which prevent that from occurring. My tripod is on the very back of a backpack which minimizes it from getting snagged from bushes on either side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back