"INVALID" file in picture frame after using PSE7

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using the same cards, same camera and same program (PSE7). Today, after working with some photos, when I put them in the digital picture frame, they came up as "INVALID" and would not display.

The only other time I had that was when the files were too big. I resize everything to 800 on the long side. They are all jpg as I thought maybe I saved them in some PS format.

They do show up just fine on the computer.

Any suggestions?

Well, I opened up each file in PSE7 on another computer. I saved them to a different directory without changeing anything else. I moved them back into the frame and now they are showing up. Won't know about the other one until tomorrow.

All I can figure is that something went hinky with PS on the other computer. This kind of thing is very stressful for the technologically challenged.

Cameras are not computers. They have limited program memory. As such most of them are designed to open and display JPEG files within the range of values from the very very large and complicated JPEG specification that they expect the camera itself saved.

For instance I am certain not every camera can display JPEGs which don't use "baseline" encoder settings. I'm sure most cameras can't display JPEGs with a full range of different subsampling modes. Programmers have their own idea of what is good. Camera programmers likely have their own idea of what is efficient.

Basic rule for you. The camera takes the photos. When you're done taking photos get the photos onto the computer and erase the card. If you edit something and copy it back to the camera and get "INVALID" don't worry the camera won't simply delete data it doesn't understand. The picture should work on any other computer.

For instance I am certain not every camera can display JPEGs which don't use "baseline" encoder settings. I'm sure most cameras can't display JPEGs with a full range of different subsampling modes. Programmers have their own idea of what is good. Camera programmers likely have their own idea of what is efficient.

Basic rule for you. The camera takes the photos. When you're done taking photos get the photos onto the computer and erase the card. If you edit something and copy it back to the camera and get "INVALID" don't worry the camera won't simply delete data it doesn't understand. The picture should work on any other computer.

Thanks Garbz. I'm so slow at this PP. I was just as unhappy about the time I spent trying to figure out what to do with them as possibly not being able to see them. Lately I'm having to shoot through screens making sharpening more of a necessity. And then of course I try to play with some of the other available options. Anyway, I did notice on this last computer the 3 "format options". Baseline, Optimized and Progressive. I checked baseline because it defaults to Progressive. The other computer always had baseline. I couldn't figure out how to make this one use baseline as the default. I did check the "saving" preferences. It wasn't there. This wasn't a regular computer for me so I'm not to concerned. I appreciate your time to reply. Sherry

Last edited:
Really when saving you should tick Optimized. The baseline standard is a method to make the most compatible JPEG. Optimized gives you the highest quality vs file size ratio, and Progressive make those funny pictures that load blurry on the internet and get progressively less blurry. These files are larger.
Pretty much every JPEG decoder can read any format, except in this case of cameras which you wouldn't normally expect need to. I wouldn't be surprised if your camera trips up on something basic like wrong image dimensions too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back