iPhone or Samsung?

From the sample images I've seen the note 7s camera is best, with the S7 just slightly behind. It's a shame they've had the battery issue as now I cant decide if I want to order an S7 edge or wait until the Note is fixed.

You can get the best DSLR and lenses on the market and still take crappy photos. How is a phone any different?

With that being said, I really like my S7.

Erwin-160904-5015.jpg

Erwin-160904-5011.jpg

Erwin-160904-5007.jpg

I'm not saying these are the best shots in the world, but I did take them with the Samsung Galaxy S7 in RAW mode and I'm quite happy with it and allows me to process my photos my way in Lightroom. Sure its noisier but I don't care about noise, I like the fact that there is no jpeg artifacts and there a lot more dynamic range to play with.

Here is a JPEG shot straight out of the S7, no processing besides what the phone did to it.

Erwin-160904-5017.jpg

Even the JPEG processing is quite good, but its not always perfect which is why its awesome that the phone can shoot Jpeg + Raw so you can choose later.

Last edited:
i find the s7 edge tiresome to work with. the iphone is simpler. i like that. those are my reasons.

I have to say I felt the same when I had a Samsung (Note 3 not any of the ones being discussed). I tend to take a lot more phone pics now that I have the iPhone but I liked the Samsung operating system much better.

I like how the phone works on the iPhone.
I can't stand how the Phone works on an Android. It's an app. On the iPhone it seems more built around it being a phone first instead of an add on module.

camera-wise, all the vendors will be leap frogging themselves time and time again.
And remember, the iPhone 7 and 7S have different cameras. The 7 only 1 camera, the 7S has the TWO cameras.

and if you think 2 cameras is better than one, then you should check this one out ==> How This Magical 16-Lens Camera Will Actually Work

Even the camera apps for iPhone are simple to use. My favorite is Pro Camera, full manual controls. Works just like Apple Camera with added features.

I miss my old HTC One S from 2012. I wish theu would step up their game again.

2016-09-08_03-53-14.jpg

When I'm in the forest lost, cold, dark and shivering, I prefer my phones being able to start a bonfire. So Galaxy 7 Note is for me :)

When I'm in the forest lost, cold, dark and shivering, I prefer my phones being able to start a bonfire. So Galaxy 7 Note is for me :)
Apparently our local editorial cartoonist was thinking of you today. :smile-new:
samsung.png

came in my Twitter feed...the one I signed up for to follow the Super 8 progress in which I have received no updates.
Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 10.43.10.png

I'm late to the party, but this subsection is slow so I figure it's fine.

I have never liked the argument of "It's the photographer that counts, any camera is the best camera in a good photographer's hands."

Sadly, and I say this gently and not targeted at anyone here, that saying is often touted by users who follow up by posting quite sad photos. Technical errors, poor artistic vision, composed poorly, etc. For the phrase to mean something, it preferably should come out of the mouth of someone who is capable of backing it up.

I argue a less polarized opinion: There is no one phrase, or small saying, that can sum up which camera is best. The best camera truly depends on your expectations, and what you want to use the camera for. It is true that a photo out of a worse camera will look better than a photo out of a better camera, IF the composition and technical abilities of the photographers differ.

I enjoy photography, but I also enjoy snapping photos. Sometimes I just don't care about composition. If I pick up an iPhone 4, and an iPhone 7, guess which is going to do a better selfie on the sidewalk at 9pm at night? Guess which is going to do a better quick pic sitting at a dim restaurant booth? Some photos are only made possible by the raw technical superiority of a modern camera, while other photos are only complimented by better technology but not enabled by it.

I'm really interested in the iPhone 7 Plus. It seems to offer some awesome features.

Software wise, the IPhone will function better for longer. I always had a problem with my Android devices getting sluggish. I've noticed this among a lot of other Androids as well. Recently went to a concert where drones of people were snapping pics. Every droid I saw took several seconds to focus and snap a pic. Whereas the iPhones were just plugging away.

Used to be a Samsung/Droid fanatic. I went iPhone a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Although, Samsung pics always seemed a tad bit crisper looking. I haven't really taken a lot of pics with my 7+ yet, but, the depth feature is kinda neat.

This is my poor example(excuse the poor focus, I was drinking when I took this and it's just an example of the bokeh effect that it's capable of right out of the box). I'll have to play with this more in the future.

37de129b822229b62bf03895ad6a1e81.jpg

Here's the non-bokeh version.

09564278446f53c8b25d86c23d4f8bb9.jpg

Software wise, the IPhone will function better for longer. I always had a problem with my Android devices getting sluggish. I've noticed this among a lot of other Androids as well. Recently went to a concert where drones of people were snapping pics. Every droid I saw took several seconds to focus and snap a pic. Whereas the iPhones were just plugging away.

Used to be a Samsung/Droid fanatic. I went iPhone a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Although, Samsung pics always seemed a tad bit crisper looking. I haven't really taken a lot of pics with my 7+ yet, but, the depth feature is kinda neat.

This is my poor example(excuse the poor focus, I was drinking when I took this and it's just an example of the bokeh effect that it's capable of right out of the box). I'll have to play with this more in the future.

37de129b822229b62bf03895ad6a1e81.jpg

Here's the non-bokeh version.

09564278446f53c8b25d86c23d4f8bb9.jpg
On my windows 10 machine the Windows Picture Software has a bokeh effect, very similar to above where a circular pattern is created for bokeh. Great for faces and such but anything with length you have to select what part (such as someone's face) is going to be in focus and what part (such as their body) is going to get the Bokeh/OOF effect. I see the same circular effect with the bullet can opener.

On my windows 10 machine the Windows Picture Software has a bokeh effect, very similar to above where a circular pattern is created for bokeh. Great for faces and such but anything with length you have to select what part (such as someone's face) is going to be in focus and what part (such as their body) is going to get the Bokeh/OOF effect. I see the same circular effect with the bullet can opener.

I wish I'd tried changing the focus to the tip of the can opener just to see if it's something similar to that. Which, I'm sure it is as it's still in beta. But, it's only available on the 7+ with two lenses. So, I think it's a mixture of both lenses and software.

Most reactions

Back