IR is photoshop 2

That image is replicable in PS.

ok, so if its a 52mm threaded lens, then you need to buy a hoya R72 filter with a 52mm thread.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
which one is that?

Just be aware that with that filter in place, you will NOT be able to see out of the viewfinder. You will need to mount the camera on a tripod, frame your shot, set focus and exposure manually (the cameras light leter will not be accurate in I.R.) Then install the filter without moving anything and make your shot. A starting point for exposure in IR is around 1/30 sec. @ f/2.8 at ISO 800. Look at your LCD and histogram and adjust your exposure. Another thing that is important in IR, is custom white balance. Auto WB will not work. Set custom WB on green grass. Or (I'm not sure about the D40) if you can set a color temp in Kelvin, set it as cold (low) as possible. This out to get you started, wish you well.

which one is that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=320190697113&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

i got that one. with the shipping from the cheapest one they ended up being around the same price anyway so i got the pro one because i hear there is additioanl coatings.

yes, i no the viewfinder will be pitch black, and i have a tripod so im all set. i just have to wait for my package to come in the mail. thanks for all the support nd advice. :hail: if i have any more questions i will ask the experts (u guys) on TPF

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
a few years ago I had a tough time with this using my 350D and HoyaR72. I could never get sharp images. It's hard to focus, then screw the filter back on and maintain focus. Use the timer release or a wired/wireless release.

Best time to do it was the middle of the day (more light) and certainly when it was totally calm.

I looked in my notes and this may be helpful.

If you don't shoot RAW (to easily adjust WB)

option 1)
set a custom WB against a green background with Filter on. This option gave me that cool rusty water color look like the one you posted right from the camera.

option 2)
set a custom WB using white paper with filter off

ISO 800

2 -15 sec exposure (you'll have to play with the aperture some)

thank you, but what si raw?

Welcome. It's basically a proprietray image format that allows you great flexibility in making adjustments (color, WB, sharpenss, etc) without degrading image quality. It adds more processing in your workflow, but it's the best way to shoot for highest image quality.

Here is a link that gives a full explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

oh word. so its sort of like the blueprint for a photo?

Think of it as a Digital Negative. Play around with it while you learn. Some cameras offer a setting to allow you to take JPEGs and RAW at the same time.

It's nothing to avoid new or seasoned (unless you dont like the additional processing) as it can really help with mistakes you make on the way.

good luck

Most reactions

Back