Irrational Numbers

You still haven't answered the original one. What is the plural of to, too or two?

toos.jpg

The only plural for all three is written in shorthand.
But, since you asked for any of them,
noun: two; plural noun: twos
"they would straggle home in ones and twos"

'To' is a preposition and has no plural form, and 'too' is an adverb and also has no plural form, but all of them having the same form in shorthand will be interchangeable and have a plural form, therefore the sentence can in fact be written that way and no other way and be a correct sentence.

I certainly hope this clears it up for you, if not, you might want to take a class in shorthand to understand this little riddle.

Last edited:
No you are incorrect. There is NO PLURAL for to or too in the english language and you have only two choices for this supposed riddle. One is that is must be answered grammatically correct which it cannot in the form you stated it. The second is if you accept plurality for to and too then the phonetic form is as correct as the shorthand version as either way you are creating new forms for words that do not have plurality.

This is not a new puzzle. This took up an entire class in and advanced English class in college so I will stand by the decision of our English Professor as stated above. It was a fun discussion though I will admit.

There is NO PLURAL for to or too in the english language .

I think I said that...
'To' is a preposition and has no plural form, and 'too' is an adverb and also has no plural form, but all of them having the same form in shorthand will be interchangeable and have a plural form, therefore the sentence can in fact be written that way and no other way and be a correct sentence.
Of course it isn't new, I didn't make it up, but I did get the answer when I heard the riddle. It is a sentence that can be spoken but not written in English, but it can be written in shorthand.

If you don't understand why the answer given is the correct answer, then there is no more I can do to help you. You either understand it and refuse to admit it or are unable to understand it.

I am not sure I believe that you were ever in a college English class though with the way you type. But, at any rate, you did not get the answer. Good try though. Maybe next time. :)
You seem to be the only one that doesn't understand the answer. Maybe the problem isn't the question, maybe it's you.
I'd be interested in contacting this professor though if there is one, what is his name and the name and location of the school he teaches at? It's obvious he never took shorthand either though so it might be an educational chat for him as well. Looking forward to hearing the information.

If you would like the entire sentence written for you to be able to understand, download the Gregg shorthand dictionary online, it will be enlightening for you I think.
Thanks for playing and thanks for the information concerning the professor in question.

Last edited:
The Gregg shorthand dictionary is not a language it is an adaption that has been adapted to several languages for the purpose of stenography. You cannot use it to create new, non existant words in a language you choose. Did you consider that there are other methods of shorthand? Pitman and Teeline are two that come to mind. The symbol for two is totally different in Pitman. In Teeline it is different from both Gregg and Pitman. You don't seem to understand that you don't create a puzzle with arbitrary rules.

Geeze people ... it is a brain-teaser ... it is designed to be somewhat outside the box. Personally, I feel that going to shorthand is a little cheesey ... which makes it not a very good brain teaser ... but there isn't a need to dissect it looking for arguements. If you like it fine ... if you don't like it fine ... let's move on to another/more/better (lol) teasers.

Geeze people ... it is a brain-teaser ... it is designed to be somewhat outside the box. Personally, I feel that going to shorthand is a little cheesey ... which makes it not a very good brain teaser ... but there isn't a need to dissect it looking for arguements. If you like it fine ... if you don't like it fine ... let's move on to another/more/better (lol) teasers.

Seriously, people. Move on.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif~c200

Agreed, it was as valid as the Morse code riddle but the time has gone. Let's hear some new ones.
What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

I don't have eyes, but once I did see. Once I had thoughts, but now I'm white and empty.

I am lying and i always lies.Tell me whether i am lying or telling the truth ?

Absolutely! I have yet to figure out my wife...

Most reactions

Back