Is it a landslide victory? 1D vs D3

Canon 1DIV vs Nikon D3s

• Total voters
So there you have it. Buy the Canon 5D over the Nikon300 if you want the larger photos.

Your point being? We were talking about cropped bodies vs full framed if you want a straight comparison talk about the D300 vs the D3 both of which have a 12.2 mp count.

well you could compare it to the D3x which has 24.5mp... I was comparing to the 5D because of the closer price range.

my point is, all you are doing is zooming in on your photo, you aren't getting your true lens view and that means you might as well crop your photos in post. unless you don't care about getting a true perspective, then i guess cropped bodies are the way to go for you =)

Ever notice when pros gather in a room they discuss images and sales of prints. While group of amateurs discuss silly issues of MP and lens sharpness.

I guess that i've spent so long teaching pros i forgot the small stuff. We see the big picture. Making pictures that people enjoy and purchase.

joe

Ever notice when pros gather in a room they discuss images and sales of prints. While group of amateurs discuss silly issues of MP and lens sharpness.

I guess that i've spent so long teaching pros i forgot the small stuff. We see the big picture. Making pictures that people enjoy and purchase.

Depends who you talk to, I know many amateurs that wouldn't want to talk about cameras or lenses. I also know a load of pros that would, mainly via twitter

I'm a gear head, I'll talk about gear till the cows come home! Depends on who you are really...

Crop-body sensors were simply a stop-gap measure
Although this is true for sports / journalism. I must say have a 1.5x crop body like the D300 making your 600mm lens a 900mm without the use of Teleconverters is actually really useful!

I think a lot of people miss interpret this. for example a 600mm will not have the compression of a 900mm telephoto.

Lets say you have a Nikon D300 and a 600mm lens; You would actually have a larger picture if you had a Canon 5D. You would actually be able to crop it in PP and you would be able to control how much you crop the image.

D300 = 12.1 @ 1.5 crop "900mm"
5D = 14.1 @ 1.5 crop "900mm"

So there you have it. Buy the Canon 5D over the Nikon300 if you want the larger photos.

Lets compare the D300 to the cropped 5D sensor

D300 = 23.6 x 15.8 @ 1.5 crop
5D = 24.0 x 16.0 @ 1.5 crop

so you see you are not losing any sensor quality either.

What do you mean by "compression?" if you're referring to DOF then your correct, a 600mm f4 on a crop sensor won't have the same tight DOF as a 900mm f4 on full-frame.

But if you're referring to perspective foreshortening (size of objects in relation to their background), then you're mistaken. That will be identical, as the only thing that affects this is the distance to the subject.

But to be fair, the article stated that the D3 had about a one stop advantage on the 1D MKIV. The 1D MKIC has more than double the pixel density of the D3, so that in itself is amazing as everyone knows that me more pixels you cram into a smaller sized sensor, the more noise you get.

I see nearly a 2 stop difference in the examples provided, so lets say it's a 1.5 stop advantage.

That can be the difference between 1/60th and 1/200th of a second shutter speeds, which is HUGE when using long lenses handheld.

Although this is true for sports / journalism. I must say have a 1.5x crop body like the D300 making your 600mm lens a 900mm without the use of Teleconverters is actually really useful!

I think a lot of people miss interpret this. for example a 600mm will not have the compression of a 900mm telephoto.

Lets say you have a Nikon D300 and a 600mm lens; You would actually have a larger picture if you had a Canon 5D. You would actually be able to crop it in PP and you would be able to control how much you crop the image.

What do you mean by "compression?" if you're referring to DOF then your correct, a 600mm f4 on a crop sensor won't have the same tight DOF as a 900mm f4 on full-frame.

But if you're referring to perspective foreshortening (size of objects in relation to their background), then you're mistaken. That will be identical, as the only thing that affects this is the distance to the subject.

Well as far as I understand, a cropped sensor works similar to a teleconver. If you have a 1.5 crop lens it seems it would be close to the same as having a 1.4x teleconverter.

I tested this on my NIkon N80. I had a 70-300mm lens and then i put a 2x teleconverter on and there was no added perspective foreshortening. It looked the same as if i had cropped out the 300mm on pp. the only thing it does is zoom into what you are already seeing in the lens.

Well as far as I understand, a cropped sensor works similar to a teleconver. If you have a 1.5 crop lens it seems it would be close to the same as having a 1.4x teleconverter.

I tested this on my NIkon N80. I had a 70-300mm lens and then i put a 2x teleconverter on and there was no added perspective foreshortening. It looked the same as if i had cropped out the 300mm on pp. the only thing it does is zoom into what you are already seeing in the lens.

Exactly, I guess I was confused by your previous statement: "a 600mm will not have the compression of a 900mm telephoto."

Most reactions

Back