is it inappropriate to:

Some of my favorite shots from my college days are from a local cemetary. Just stay away on decoration days and on days when someone is being buried. The best shots are usually at old and abandoned (by relatives - not caretakers).

Best of luck!

well we went yesterday and it went alot smoother than i had anticipated! the girl i photographed was really fun and easy to work with, and since the cemetary was HUGE(it took us 20 minutes to get out when we were done, in a car! we got lost) we found an older section(graves marked in the early to mid 1800's) there was NOBODY there. we also ran into a HUGE owl just sitting in a tree who was kidn enough to wait for me to switch lenses and take some photographs before flying off. i didnt use my digital too much, cause im thinking there is something wrong with it, but i did do a few. the real test will be when i get to school tomorrow and develop my film!

I have shot cemeteries often. I must stand with the majority here. I refrain from shooting families in grief. I prefer the older, smaller country cemeteries. They seem to have more character and color than the big manicured city cemeteries. I have always been intrigued by the very old markers and the evolution of marker style. Good luck with your assignment and post some of the resulting images.

Here in Cleveland, we have Lakeview Cemetery, the second oldest "garden" cemetery in the US. President Garfield is buried there, as is John D. Rockefeller, and a host of other national historic figures. Eliot Ness's ashes were recently scattered there in the lake beside the Louis Comfort Tiffany-designed chapel. The statuary and marblework is beyond fantastic; photographing there is like shooting ducks in a barrel. When it comes to photographers, Lakeview says, "Come on in, there's always room for one more!"

i live near greenwood cemetery in brooklyn... one of the oldest cemeteries in the us, and the inspiration for the design of central park. the real bill the butcher is buried there somewhere, that's how old it is.

i have photographed there many many times without any problems, although i think it is technically against the rules. i think that is just to dissuade anyone who might be disrespectful.

i prefer to stay away from cemeteries, m\not necessarily from fear of being caught but because deep inside i really have problems with people dying on me. so i kinda like to keep that chapter closed. i went once and we got into a little fight with a gravedigger (drunken of course) and ever since i really haven't been to one. they are quite far though. and i really don't see anything that beautiful. well maybe where you live it's different but here it's just rock after rock in geometric patterns of doom... and nothing else. except pickpockets. and i, who never found any moral issue to refrain me from shooting a frame, really have respect for the dead and something deep inside me just doesn't let me go in as a photographer. but essentially there's nothing wrong with doing just that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back