Is it worth upgrading to a T6i from a T3?

voyageaimer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted a previous thread about upgrading, but I can't seem to make up my mind. Will there be a noticeable difference in image and video quality? I would sure think so, but I'm not an expert!

I posted a previous thread about upgrading, but I can't seem to make up my mind. Will there be a noticeable difference in image and video quality? I would sure think so, but I'm not an expert!

Yes! Especially in high iso performance!

Also in video quality. (which you asked about) Here's one of several sites I've used to compare cameras in the past. Hope it helps.

Canon T3 vs Canon T6i

Also in video quality. (which you asked about) Here's one of several sites I've used to compare cameras in the past. Hope it helps.

Canon T3 vs Canon T6i

Thanks! I did previously look at that site..along with numerous others. I just seem to be getting mixed thoughts based on what I have seen/read. I guess a lot of it probably comes down to perspective. I.e. the differences to me may be great, where many of you may think they are minimal. I’d hate to spend the money on an upgrade if it doesn’t feel like I’m getting one :O

It can be confusing. Canon's "T" series numbers don't make sense. Just because the number is higher, doesn't make it better. Usually one with an "i" is markedly better than one without. Comparison is necessary.

It can be confusing. Canon's "T" series numbers don't make sense. Just because the number is higher, doesn't make it better. Usually one with an "i" is markedly better than one without. Comparison is necessary.

Right, which is why I think I'm struggling. As I had said in a previous post... I was almost set on getting the T5i, until I discovered that the imaging sensor(?) is essentially the same as the T3, so it would be little to no upgrade. Thus, now I am on the T6i LOL.

The T6i would be an upgrade with better color depth, dynamic range, and ISO performance. But the SL2 is better at the same over the T6i.

But it may be better for you to wait or spend more now and buy a 80D. That is again better over the SL2 not just in sensor performance but also body, shutter, AF, and more. Right now 80D has $200 off for holiday sales. $1,000. Going from T3 to 80D definate noticeable upgrade! But sensor performance wise the SL2 is the best deal for upgrade.

The T6i would be an upgrade with better color depth, dynamic range, and ISO performance. But the SL2 is better at the same over the T6i.

But it may be better for you to wait or spend more now and buy a 80D. That is again better over the SL2 not just in sensor performance but also body, shutter, AF, and more. Right now 80D has $200 off for holiday sales. $1,000. Going from T3 to 80D definate noticeable upgrade! But sensor performance wise the SL2 is the best deal for upgrade.

So you're saying the SL2 is an even better camera than the T6i? I had previously considered the SL2, but I had leaned towards the T6i...I can't recall why now..
I'm thinking the 80D is out of the question for me at this time. I have no doubt that it would be a great upgrade, but I'm not looking to spend that much more with swapping out my T3. There has to be a cutoff somewhere! Otherwise the "well if you spend just this much more, you can get this" game would never end.

So you're saying the SL2 is an even better camera than the T6i? I had previously considered the SL2, but I had leaned towards the T6i...I can't recall why now..
I'm thinking the 80D is out of the question for me at this time. I have no doubt that it would be a great upgrade, but I'm not looking to spend that much more with swapping out my T3. There has to be a cutoff somewhere! Otherwise the "well if you spend just this much more, you can get this" game would never end.
Sensor performance wise the SL2 is better than the T6i. But the SL2 has fewer AF points. 19 vs. 9 on SL2.

Sensor performance wise the SL2 is better than the T6i. But the SL2 has fewer AF points. 19 vs. 9 on SL2.

I was just reading the specs. So in English, the SL2 has the advantage? I believe the AF stands for auto-focus. If that is the case, I rarely, if ever, use that anyway.

Sorry yes Autofocus.
In terms of sensor output.
The T6i is 3/4 bit better in color depth than your T3. 1 bit is considered noticeable by the human eye. The SL2 is almsot 1 bit better than the T6i (so nearly 1 3/4 bits better than the T3).
The T6i is 1 stop better in dynamic range better than the T3. The SL2 is 1.4 stops better than the T6i (2.4 better than T3).
The T6i is 1 stop better ISO over the T3. The SL2 is nearly 1 stop better than the T6i!

Sorry yes Autofocus.
The T6i is 3/4 bit better in color depth than your T3. 1 bit is considered noticeable by the human eye. The SL2 is almsot 1 bit better than the T6i (so nearly 1 3/4 bits better than the T3).
The T6i is 1 stop better in dynamic range better than the T3. The SL2 is 1.4 stops better than the T6i (2.4 better than T3).
The T6i is 1 stop better ISO over the T3. The SL2 is nearly 1 stop better than the T6i!

It sounds like the SL2 is the clear winner. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the smaller size. Granted, it would be awesome for my travels (less space & weight), but I don't want it to feel too small in my hands. I may have to go window shop at my local Best Buy :p

Sorry yes Autofocus.

It sounds like the SL2 is the clear winner. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the smaller size. Granted, it would be awesome for my travels (less space & weight), but I don't want it to feel too small in my hands. I may have to go window shop at my local Best Buy :p
Yes, feel is important. Especially if you have large hands or small hands. Control placements too.

Sorry yes Autofocus.

Yes, feel is important. Especially if you have large hands or small hands. Control placements too.

Thanks for confirming! I don't have enormous hands, but I do like the "heft" of some of the DSLR's. I checked the specs last night - my current T3 is slightly smaller than the T6i, but larger than SL2.

Sorry yes Autofocus.

Thanks for confirming! I don't have enormous hands, but I do like the "heft" of some of the DSLR's. I checked the specs last night - my current T3 is slightly smaller than the T6i, but larger than SL2.
Yea, if the SL2 is too small or light. Then the T6i would be better. The T7i is out now. It might be a good choice. But I don't see any testing on it yet.

Most reactions

Back