Is Nikon D90 junk? (ERR message thing)

Go canon, Canon is top, Nikon suckzz i would buy a Pentax before i bought a nikon, damn just open your eyes go canon :p

Nah jokes, Ill leave this to the Nikonites to try figure out :)
But for the record, never experienced a problem with my canon yet.

Inserting a memory card occasionally produces a "CHA" error message (means can't read card) problem is rectified by reinserting card.
Using good quality cards addresses that issue.

The F-- error happens occasionally - generally rectified by reseating the lens.
Using good contact cleaner and a little dielectric grease resolves the issue for years on end. Making sure the aperture dial on the lens is locked at it's smallest opening (on lenses that have an aperture ring) resolves the error too.

Camera refocusing after I've focused and reframed despite the fact that the camera is on AF-Single and the focus should be locked.

User error, twitch of a finger or even menu setting not where you think it is... is a 90% chance of this reason.

VR suddenly just stopping until I press the shutter again.
Related to the lens contact issue.

Randomly overexposing an image.
Spot metering not used properly is 90% of the reason this happens.

Mirror simply locking up without any input from myself.
A nearly depleted battery or bad connection between an aftermarket grip does this every time. Some aftermarket batteries always show 100% power even when 99.9% empty. I own 2 batteries like this... use them only as backups.

I could send it in to Nikon, but as somebody who repairs things for a living I know that as these problems happen so rarely and cannot be reliably demonstrated or repeated the camera will come back "No Fault Found".

That is because the issue was not with the camera, but accessories or user misunderstanding.

I do not own the D90, but it has a rock solid reputation. I would love to see a link at Nikon for issues needing addressing. 95% of these issues are easily repeatable by anyone who wishes, in other words, user error or connection errors.

The CHA error also happens if you put in a memory card with its read/write key in the "lock" position. That little tab on the side of the memory card that most people ignore. I find I can sometimes activate the switch while placing a SD card into the D90's card slot.

It's never happened on any of the 4 D90's I own. I bought all 4 last November. (Black Friday) If you go Canon you can worry about Error 99's and failed shutters.

This stuff is all mass produced.

I visit several other forums in the course of a day and am not familiar with the problem you're referring to. How about some links?

lol why do you have 4?

I have a D90 and never experienced a problem with it, nor my D40. I love the D90! But as with all electronics there is a defect rate, Nikon or Cannon. I'm in PC wholesale, so I'm very familiar with rma defect rates for electronic devices. Just because its like a $30k leica, doesnt mean you're not prone to get a lemon. Also D5000 is no where near the D90, let alone addressing the "issues" of the D90. Besides, I beleive the D5000 currently has a recall. Also, as stated above, it could be due to using the equipment incorrectly ie; pins not touching, stuff like that.

It's never happened on any of the 4 D90's I own. I bought all 4 last November. (Black Friday) If you go Canon you can worry about Error 99's and failed shutters.

This stuff is all mass produced.

I visit several other forums in the course of a day and am not familiar with the problem you're referring to. How about some links?

lol why do you have 4?
2 hands and 2 feet = 4 :lol:

So 4 soccer matches or other sporting events can be shot simultaneously.

I wonder what became of the OP. Troll....FAIL.

I have recieved the ERR code a few times and it was always dirty contacts or, the lense not mounted fully on the contacts. Otherwise I have never had that problem.

Does the Nikkon D90 really have that many lens contact issues? Why would the D90 mount have any more issues than other Nikkon? Just curious.

Does the Nikkon D90 really have that many lens contact issues? Why would the D90 mount have any more issues than other Nikkon? Just curious.

because people don't take care of their equipment and get it full of dirt. when i was at the regatta in Pittsburgh shooting the boat races i was next to a guy complaining about all the issues with his D90 and when he switched lenses i could actually see dirt inside the camera, all around the lens mount, even on the mirror. i mean c'mon. how do you even get ANY dirt in there EVER? i shoot on the beach, in the woods, standing in muddy water and i've never even had to clean a spec of dust out of the inside of my camera or from any lens contact, body or lens.

because people don't take care of their equipment and get it full of dirt. when i was at the regatta in Pittsburgh shooting the boat races i was next to a guy complaining about all the issues with his D90 and when he switched lenses i could actually see dirt inside the camera, all around the lens mount, even on the mirror. i mean c'mon. how do you even get ANY dirt in there EVER? i shoot on the beach, in the woods, standing in muddy water and i've never even had to clean a spec of dust out of the inside of my camera or from any lens contact, body or lens.
I would say that's an extreme case of neglect. These errors apparently happen on cameras that haven't been submerged in gunk.

I've owned a 40D, 50D, 5DMk2 and 1DMk3 and I've never cleaned the contacts and I've never had an Error 99. I've been lucky I suppose because other folks have had these errors. It's fairly common to digital cameras it seems, regardless of brand. Perhaps some are more prone to such failures than others, who knows. I don't have enough evidence to say which maker/design might have that dubious honor.

But suffice it to say, this can happen to pretty much anyone even when you don't have crud hanging out of your camera.

I wonder what became of the OP. Troll....FAIL.

funny-pictures-troll-car-hating.jpg

LOL!:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back