Is Nikon D90 junk? (ERR message thing)

My D90 also got the ERR message and the camera froze. This happened a few times! I read somewhere the problem was with the SDHC. I was using the fastest SanDisk (Ultra?). I changed to another brand and the problem hasn't happened since. I have also recently been using a SanDisk 15MB/s without problems.

Hope this helps.

I have had mine six months without any problems at all. Very nice camera and the D90 pretty much does everything I need.

I got a new D90 for Christmas, so haven't got a lot of history with it. In the time that I have had it, I have experienced ZERO problems with the camera. I am using SanDisk ExtremeIII cards in it, both a 4gb and an 8gb capacity. I really like my D40, but I absolutely love the D90.

I've had it happen on my D70 when the aperture ring on my lens had been moved and wasn't in the correct spot. My 24mm is very guilty of that happening easily..

It seems the majority of users are happy. Does any body know if there is a serial number correlation to the troubled cameras? Or is it sporadic?

I guess I was one of unlucky ones. I had that ERR messege. Called Nikon, they repaired (replaced aperture mechanism) and that was it - 18,000 later clicking and clicking...

The first day I used my brand new Nikon D90 I started getting the error message. The message is intermittent.

I have to remove the battery sometimes 2+ times to get the message to disappear.

It happens about every 3 times I use the D90. (Turned on and off).

There are times I am ready to shoot a good picture IMO and nothing. The D90 will not focus. I check my LCD and there is the error message.

My D90 is 1 month old.

Every once in awhile I press the shutter-release button 1/2 way to focus the D90 fires a picture without focusing and it does not record a photo. It will do this until I shut off the D90 and remove the battery and reinstall. This has happened about 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

I have a Nikon D40 and this has never happened. I've been using the D40 for 3 yrs now.

I bought my Nikon D90 (new) on Amazon.

I've removed the lens 18-108mm and cleaned the contacts. I also made sure the lens is locked all the way on the bayonet. Still I get the same problems.

I decided to return my Nikon D90 to an authorized service repair center. I live near the El Segundo, CA service center. It's about 15 minutes from me. Under warranty no charge for repairs.

I found some information about this issue by googling "Nikon D90 error message". This is the link for the D90 error messages and lock up: Nikon D90 - D40 / D5000 Forum: Digital Photography Review, at DP Review. It seems there are others out there with the same issue. Google link, http://www.google.com/search?q=niko...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

I will post back once I get the D90 back from the service center to let everybody what they did to my D90 and see if the problems resurfaces.

Last edited:
Well, I definitely found a 'weak link' in my version of the problem - the memory card. The one I bought with the camera was supposedly a very high quality card, according to the sales rep at a highly reputable retailer (an actual photo store, NOT big-box). Yet, when I replaced the card, my ERR problem stopped. This is the card I bought:

Transcend 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS8GSDHC6

Unfortunately, the kit lens also seems to be giving me problems, and I just shipped the samera/lens kit to Nikon-El Segundo for service. That's another story, but I think that the wise posters on this forum nailed it - the plastic mount is an invitation for problems.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the input.

Everything on my D90 was checked. The only thing that was done was RSD Electrical Contacts. Don't know what RSD means. I was told cleaned the contacts.

The D90 seems ok. Took around 50 pics at different times. Only time will tell.

Anybody know what RSD Electrical Contacts mean?

Copy of my Invoice Repair

img022.jpg

The RSD Electrical Contacts means. The "RSD" repair code stands for "Resoldered Electrical Contacts", there electrical contacts are located within the battery compartment.

This is what was done to my Nikon D90.

No issues at this time with my Nikon D90. I have shot about 200 pics since the warranty repair.

I had an F-- error on my D90 on the first day i bougt it , i was shootin at a wedding and it just wouldn't shoot ..
No one knew what the error was ..
eventually intuitively i figured out that you have to rotate the lens counter clock vise tighter .. or take it of , put it back on ... eventually the effor disapeared .. but freakedme out and pissed me off biftime in the beginning

Well, I definitely found a 'weak link' in my version of the problem - the memory card. The one I bought with the camera was supposedly a very high quality card, according to the sales rep at a highly reputable retailer (an actual photo store, NOT big-box). Yet, when I replaced the card, my ERR problem stopped. This is the card I bought:

Transcend 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS8GSDHC6

Unfortunately, the kit lens also seems to be giving me problems, and I just shipped the samera/lens kit to Nikon-El Segundo for service. That's another story, but I think that the wise posters on this forum nailed it - the plastic mount is an invitation for problems.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the input.

What did the Nikon Service Center find wrong with your D90?

I honestly can't believe that Nikon has never done anything through this via firmware (if possible...doubtful) or via a recall. These problems with focusing/mounting problems are extremely widespread (proof done by a quick google search) yet they continue to ignore.

I have problem with both my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Tamron 180mm f3.5.

The 17-50 has problems where it will shoot fine for X amount of shots (the amount varies each time from anywhere to 20 to 150) and then just stop focusing. Everything on the top screen looks fine with no errors but it won't focus and it won't fire the shutter if I don't put the focus where it stopped (i.e. put a subject in the focus area where it stopped focusing)...(that's due to my settings of not firing if not in focus in AF-S mode). I have to remove and re-seat the lens to fix it....a big PITA.

On my Tamron 180mm f3.5 it will shoot fine a lot of times, but the lens doesn't fit extremely tight on the mount. When it is mounted completely (clicked into place) it still has a little left/right play in it. I can twist it a bit to the right and back to the left while it's mounted. No biggie EXCEPT that it loses connection a lot when rotated and gives me an F-- until it's rotated back. Considerin I manually focus that lens 99% of the time, it gets rotated and loses connection a lot...I've lost a good share of shots due to this.

So...I thought it's just the 180mm loose...nope checked and the 17-50 is a little loose on the mount too...just with slightly different problems. It ticks me off enough that I consider switching systems....but I really like the layouts of Nikon's and even bigger is that I'm extremely comfy with NX2 and don't want to switch that. When buying mine I was back and forth ALOT on whether to buy my new D90 or one of the new D200's from best buy at $599. I SOOOOO much wish I had bought the D200 now. The D90 is a dream to use when it works but it is just too unreliable with 3rd party lenses for me.

***For what it's worth, I had zero problems with the Tamron 17-50 on my D70s AND I have had zero problems when using Nikon branded lenses. The problem I have seems to be exclusively set with the combo of the D90 and third party lenses. For this reason, I merely get blown off by Nikon when I inquiry saying "well we can't garuntee the performance when using a third party lens" or some crap like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back