Is Phoenix a good lens company?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are Phoenix lenses any good? As good as tamron or sigma?

I never handled a Phoenix, so I can't say if they're good or bad. They are more than likely made by Cosina, a very reputable company, who, from what I had long ago heard, made even some of our OEM lenses.

I never handled a Phoenix, so I can't say if they're good or bad. They are more than likely made by Cosina, a very reputable company, who, from what I had long ago heard, made even some of our OEM lenses.
Is Cosina even still in business?

I've heard mixed reviews, no not as goot as Sigma or Tamron but not entirely crap, stay away from them if you are on auto focusing cameras.

If you are using older manual cameras, they are really not worth it as superior glass can be found cheaper.

They would be acceptable for a young beginner on a manual film body, the price would tolerable in the event something unfortunate where to happen requiring replacement, but once out of the beginner stage it's just short of useless and holds absolutely no resale value.

If I wanted to take my nine year old neice out to take pictures of birds with with me, it would be a long phoenix tele on my AE-1 with a tripod. That can fall over and I won't be bankrupted.

Over all, steer clear unless you have a need to protect some more valuable glass that you alredy have.

That is my two cents at least.

I could be wrong but I think Phoenix Optical is an optics company in CA specializing in eye glasses, Seems odd that they would just jump to camera lenses but not out of the relm of possibility, But like I said I could be wrong on that.

Cosina is one of the largest manufacturers of optics. The name itself isn't well known in the photographic world but there is a lot of their work in other brands... it is rumored that some of the glass in Canon and Nikkors are manufactured by Cosina.

My experience with Phoenix is crap BUT it could be the one or two lenses I had a look at. Much of their line is rebranded from other manufacturers. The same is true for "Promaster" branded lenses.

I had a Phoenix 100mm Macro that I bought @ 12 years ago. It was an ok lens. Not as good as my Canon 100mm Macro but decent. That is the only experience I have with them.

Are you thinking about the 1200mm or 1600mm from Amazon?

There is something "different" about the technology used for those lens - something about mirrors I think. Tech explanation went over me head :(

You get what you pay ... I believe the above lens are in the under $250 range.

Most reactions

Back