Is Photography As We Know It Dying?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Destin, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, I took 40 minutes out of my day today and watched this video by Fstoppers. I thought it would be cool to have a discussion over this topic ourselves and see what forum members think about this.

I know it's a long video, but I found it extremely interesting and immersive. What do you guys think?

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I only watched the first seven minutes of it. I wish it were an article. I think I could read everything they said in probably 5 to 7 minutes. There is no doubt that the photography business is not what it used to be and the way we use,take, and share photos,and the way we display them has changed since well, since prints basically went away.

Yes there are many professional photographers who sell prints, and prints are wonderful, but it has been several years since I have actually witnessed a regular person showing off their photos in the form of Color Prints. But every day lately I see people sharing photos via their smartphones, looking at pictures on their smartphones , and sending pictures and receiving pictures in the form of digital files.

Remeber the Yellow Page phone directory? Do you remember the card catalog at your local or High School library from the 1970s or 1980s or even the 1990s? There are a number of things that we don't do the way we used to. Remember actual paper maps?

When I was in my twenties , there were lots of Photography gigs that you could get on weekends and nights but those have largely disappeared now, as people are more capable with their digital cameras and with the cameras inside their phones.

There are still occasions where people hire professional photographers, but those occasions are far fewer than they used to be. And I think people have a different expectation about how they will get their photos, and also they have a somewhat different sense of valuing the photos.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Let me ask you a question??? If Photography is dying, where did the images used for the Tamron ad in the first 40 seconds of the video come from???? Did they just magically generate themselves digitally, or did a photographer shoot them??? Think about how many images you view every day on the TV, in a magazine, in a catalog, on the internet, on product packaging, on the billboards on the highway, advertising is everywhere. 24/7 we are inundated by images, which at one time were taken by a photographer. I don't believe photography will ever die, it will evolve, because a world devoid of images would be a very dull world indeed. For better or worse we seem to have entered a world of instant gratification on images. It's not good enough that a digital camera can display the image on the screen, when you have a cell phone that can do a selfi, add all kinds of effects, and automatically send it to multiple social media sites in less time then it takes to pull the SD card out of your camera. So on a consumer level photography will continue to evolve to meet the market. On the commercial end though there will still be a need for the professional photographer.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think like a lot of things photography will reach a peak then drop back to a manageable level, the likes of canon,Nikon will push the limits of technology and reach a limiting point.
    Photography will prob evolve but I can’t see it dying out
    Out there beyond the lens there are all sorts of things that people thought would die out.
    Yet we still have film photography and have members here who have old cameras that they use and maintain
    Steam trains, and groups to preserve them
    Spit fire planes still fly over where I live.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There used to be an esprit de corps associated with photography.

Cell phone cameras in the hands of everyone has taken that away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes things are changing/changed. The profession of photography may have narrowed but the hobby itself is exploding. Instagram and other digital social media have shown the masses what really talented photographers can do (with all types of cameras) and they all want to do it too. It used to be I would take my dslr to a game or event and maybe see one other person with theirs and a few cell phone cameras out. Now, everyone has a dslr or advanced cell phone camera and everyone thinks they’re a photographer.

To me the biggest change is the amount of bad photos that are out there. We’ve all seen posts on social media of some crooked horizon overly saturated slightly out of focus sunset photo that gets 1000 likes from the poster’s “friends” who all comment how amazing it is and encourage the poster to turn pro.

• Like Like x 3
  7. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yup say hello to the "like culture" where self gratification is the norm. Heaven forbid you'd actually post the truth about their photos. Actually even FB has finally realized the monster it created Facebook Is Considering a Huge Shift That Would Dramatically Change How You Use the Social Network--It's a Good Thing

8. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I don’t have a problem with Facebook or Instagram “likes”. My comment was more focused on the fact that people like the sub standard photo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is Photography As We Know It Dying?

NO

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. NGH

NGH TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This question has probably been asked many times in the past.
    Like all activities they change over time and new technologies come along that affect that change. I am sure when colour came along, some black and white focused photographers thought that photography AS THEY KNEW IT was dying, when 35mm came along the same, compacts, disk, APS and digital. They are all changes that altered thinking and processes and how images were made/consumed - so you could say that in some ways the previous understanding of what photography was died; but a new understanding emerged and photography (however you define it) continues.
    They say "Evolve or die" - photography is just evolving

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    "So, how do you know photography? Were you two in school together? Oh, oh, oh, you two were roommates, right?"...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

That question is a bit late...............True photography died back in 1888 when the pre-loaded Kodak camera came out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1