Is Photography As We Know It Dying?

Smoke, have a couple 7 light selfies, and one of them took best in class and best in show in a competition. It hung in the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts last year so lots of folks saw it. I have a cell phone photo in the gym with a 30 something who wanted his picture with a 70 yr old guy a couple weeks out of a bodybuilding competition- won my class by the way. But I don't like my picture taken. The guys in the secret witness protection plan don't like it either
... just kiddin.

But I don't like my picture taken. T

Same here but, when I'm behind the camera those whose pictures I take don't always know it until after the fact either. I think at last count there were something like 6,000 images of my 5yr old granddaughter, and growing weekly. By comparison I'd be hard pressed to come up with dozen of me in the last 5yrs.

I think that very much depends on how YOU know photography.
Snap shot type photography has switched almost entirely to phones, but is FAR more common than it was 20 years ago, when people needed a dedicated tool for it.
Enthusiast photography with dedicated & highly capable cameras is also IMO more common than 20 years ago.
Professional photography is changing as these first two grow, but even if sectors of it are dwindling I don't see any signs of it dying.

Smaller businesses are far more likely to be providing their own shots, but many of these (e-bay sellers etc) didn't exist at all in the past, or simply wouldn't have included images in their advertising using classified ads instead. I expect larger businesses as well (as some of the smaller ones) will continue to want the best possible lighting/composition etc. so will generally continue to use professional services. Portraits for ID purposes are less likely to be shot by a professional, but people will still want top quality studio sessions.

Film usage took a drastic hit when good digital cameras became available. However it seems to be making a bit of a comeback.

Photography as a whole is continuing to evolve, but is growing not dying.

Video also is adding to popularity as cameras do excellent clips as well as stills. Being able to show 4K video combined with stills in a slideshow on your 4K TV is loads of fun and rewarding. Specialized TV's that act as frames to display your photography when the TV isn't watched is another stimulus.

Photography as we knew it is truly dead. Long live the photograph.

in the days before digital photography was common place, people who dealt with photographs were of the mindset of "hey, this costs money. the film, the developing, the printing, etc so im going to take the best image possible".

When you work with film, your brain is actively evaluating scenes before you take the photograph. Your brain is able after a while, to tell you if a setting, scene, situation, etc will turn out as a photo not only as "its properly exposed" but also with "wow this is a good image here" versus "why did i take a photograph of aunt millies cat playing in the litter box?"

In the digital age, there is an inherent belief system that "seeing makes it true". Its the "twue way of photography", your only a photographer if you have a studio, have 10-20,000 in studio gear, 10,000 in camera and lenses. Although a cell phone and a few images on instagram or twitter ALWAYS means your a professional photographer NO MATTER how bad the images are.

In the film age people thought ahead of what they were doing. You had a bright day, you used a lens hood. Shooting an outdoor setting on a patio that had alot of glass windows in it? Use a CPL.... and so on.
In the digital age, you see people with 3,000 Digital cameras using 2,000$ lenses that arent capable of using a lens hood, a cpl, a ND, because "i can fix that with photo shop"

Tball, with the proliferation of cell phone cameras, everyone has a camera with them all the time. And they can check to see if they have a recognizable image and take another if they don't. Getting a consistently sharp and well exposed image was difficult for amateurs before digital and if that is all a pro could do before digital, he could still make a living. Around 2000, pros had to do more to survive. You are a bit light on the 20 grand in lighting gear, pun intended, but amateurs have no clue and no lighting gear. Their idea of a pose is holding up a glass, making a silly face yelling woohoo. They have no idea of composition and clutter. No control over depth of field. No idea how to set perspective for a portrait. Now, even serious amateurs won't understand the finer points of a perfect image, but it is up to pros these days to educate them. If you provide a quality image and product and show them the difference, they will be bragging to their friends about it. A pro has to be able to produce work that uncle harry with his kit camera and lens can't. Many years ago, I had taken an image with a d200 and one of ken rockwells nikon 10 worst lenses. It blew away the guest speaker/judge who shot with a flagship camera and 10k lens. It's not the camera, as ancil said it's the most important part of the camera, the 12 inches behind it.

When you think about it, photography has changed greatly since its inception in the 1800s. In modern times this translates into things simply changing faster for many of us. This experience is due to our presence in the days of film, slides, and the wet darkroom process where no importing, editing, or printing was needed. Simply drop off your film, make a few decisions and notes on the envelope and pick it up in about a week.
More megapixels, faster, cheaper, smaller, easier, is all that seems to matter and is evident yearly with the release of new products. Today everyone's a photographer with their cell phone. Not a professional photographer, but "good enough" for what I need right now photographer. It seems that with no real thought about ever printing any images we use the image for as long as needed and then hit "delete."
The artist, craftsman, or professional photographer using imagery to convey their message is always searching for new inspiration, new ideas, or subjects for their work and not just another "Snap Shot".

The need will exist and remain for professionally produced images well into the future. Advertising, fashion, scientific, medical, industrial, forensic, and many other areas will continue. Images have not gone out of style, just turn on the television or turn on your computer. We are bombarded daily as a reminder! Maybe some of us who are, or have been in photography longer term will not be able to participate in the above areas. Just maybe we need to take a different view or direction? Our woes and complaints might be turned toward or for the positive if we decided on a new way to satisfy our photographic experience or needs.

Those that have the ability or interest might consider conducting a weekend workshop or educational offering where passing on the knowledge of the craft would benefit many. I have found many more dollars doing workshops than selling prints on etsy.com or a personal website. Specializing in an area of interest you enjoy makes it fun and stimulates interest among all participants.

I am amazed about the prolific numbers of newborn, wedding, business headshot, team photographers out there who are still in search of more ideas for business expansion but don't consider offering a lucrative workshop?

One of the best projects I have undertaken was picking up 2 books on the history of photography then spending the next year attempting to produce the photos starting in 1840 to present. Just like transportation has evolved from then, buggy whip makers are few and far between, fariers who shoe horses still work but not like back then. But folks had to "improvise, adapt, overcome" as the Clint and a tat a lady marine had on her chest in a recent shoot said, to survive. Things are changing even more rapidly. These days, my camera in auto on a tripod with the timer takes a "sharp, well exposed image."

Yep, we are all constantly evolving...including photography.

Right, so photography "as we know it" today is evolving and those that don't adapt, improvise, overcome are left behind. We saw that in 2000 as pros with minimal skills of only sharp well exposed were no longer needed as digital enabled folks to take sharp, well exposed without training and experience. As Bob Dylan said, the times they are a changin.

I have to agree with that sentiment.
The hard core reality is that photography has evolved ALOT from the early 1830's. Were using technology that in 50 years will look primitive.

Its not that "photography" is dying, its that we have to change for one, but also education and teaching concepts of art and other aspects should be fundamental in school. rather than focusing on everything being racist.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about using film and he mentioned he is resurrecting his audio turntable and vinyl records. Remember the film is dead mantra? My lab now is so overwhelmed it takes almost 3 weeks for turnaround. Soo, I agree, on education, I try to educate my clients so they appreciate what I am giving them.

More people are taking pictures and videos than ever because of cell phones. Making a living as a professional photographer is much harder than it was years ago but, so is just about just about any type of artistic endeavor just as the printing press did for scribes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back