Is the 5dmkiii kit lens (24-105) worth picking up?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am pretty set on getting the mkiii and I'm just waiting until we can afford it. That day would come a lot sooner if I "settle" for one of the two options below.

Ultimately, I want the 70-200 and probably a 50mm for portraits. It seems like you get a great price on it when you go ahead and grab it with the kit lens. So my options are- grab the kit and save up for the rest, or get the body only and start with the 50mm. I've made a big jump in body price so I think that 70-200 is going to have to wait a bit. I have also been DYING to get a true macro lens, but I think the 70-200 is a nice pseudo macro option until I can acquire both.

I was BLOWN AWAY with the color rendering of the d7100 with the nikkor70-200 f4, compared to my sony e mount lens'. I've never really gotten the hang of "zoom with your feet" so it would be interesting to be committed to one prime lens indefinitely, but I am also becoming more nit picky about image quality with every "step up" that I make, and I know the 50 is supposed to be superb. And if I skip the kit lens, that is a few hundred closet to the 70-200....,

So how's the kit lens? The 50 is so cheep I could pick it up in the near future for those times that I need a faster lens.

I'll be using the camera for portriats, snapshots of my kids, and also dirt biking pictures of the kids. They are just beginning so I don't think zoom is a HUGE deal right now, since we are right there with them.

Hopefully that wasn't too all over the place. I've done a flickr search, but it's hard to tell how much PP has been done to those images.

Thanks in advance!

The 24-105mm f/4 L is a really good lens. Actually it is on my list as the next purchase to replace my 28-135mm. I know a lot of people that use the 24-105mm for just about everything.

Which 50mm ? don't buy the 50F1.8 for that camera get the 50mmF1.4 but it is a bit short for portraits on this camera, don't forget to send it back for a refund when the sensor gets dirty it won't be long if it is as bad for dust as the original 5D

Which 50mm ? don't buy the 50F1.8 for that camera get the 50mmF1.4 but it is a bit short for portraits on this camera, don't forget to send it back for a refund when the sensor gets dirty it won't be long if it is as bad for dust as the original 5D
Oh Gary- I've fully admitted that sending back the d7100 wasn't JUST because of sensor dust. My lust for FF, and the button placement of the back button focus also played a big role, but the dust I couldn't remove with a wet cleaning was a good excuse. It's hard to tell on here if you are just teasing because you like me, or if you think I'm a complete dummy. Hopefully it's the former, because I think you're great! ;-)

I was looking at the 1.8- wasn't considering the 1.4, since I can't see me ever using it that wide, but I will look into it as a strong contender.

Skip the 50mm as it's pretty blah on a FF body. I hardly ever use mine.

Do get the 85mm 1.8. My favorite lens and I use it' most of the time.

Do get the 70-200 f/4. Fantastic lens for the price. 200mm is a bit short of a FF body.

I was looking at the 1.8- wasn't considering the 1.4, since I can't see me ever using it that wide, but I will look into it as a strong contender.

It's not about going that low it's about build and optical quality which the 1.4 towers above the 1.8.

Skip the 50mm as it's pretty blah on a FF body. I hardly ever use mine. Do get the 85mm 1.8. My favorite lens and I use it' most of the time. Do get the 70-200 f/4. Fantastic lens for the price. 200mm is a bit short of a FF body.

I have a 50 on my aspc sensor and I am finding it too tight for most circumstances, so I am hoping sticking it on a FF will be just right. I was thinking that 200 might be a little short....if the kit lens was adequate for the kids sports, I might be willing to wait for a ?-300+ ish, IF I could find an affordable macro option to fill that void in my soul while I wait. MF only would be find for macro (I think) since so far I pretty much take over anyways.....

It's not about going that low it's about build and optical quality which the 1.4 towers above the 1.8.
Do you know the msrp of the 1.4, or are you gonna tell me to go google that? :giggle:

Oh Gary- I've fully admitted that sending back the d7100 wasn't JUST because of sensor dust. My lust for FF, and the button placement of the back button focus also played a big role, but the dust I couldn't remove with a wet cleaning was a good excuse. It's hard to tell on here if you are just teasing because you like me, or if you think I'm a complete dummy. Hopefully it's the former, because I think you're great! ;-)

Full Frame Lust. Yup.. pretty much a classic plot in most romance novels really.

Skip the 50mm as it's pretty blah on a FF body. I hardly ever use mine. Do get the 85mm 1.8. My favorite lens and I use it' most of the time. Do get the 70-200 f/4. Fantastic lens for the price. 200mm is a bit short of a FF body.

I have a 50 on my aspc sensor and I am finding it too tight for most circumstances, so I am hoping sticking it on a FF will be just right. I was thinking that 200 might be a little short....if the kit lens was adequate for the kids sports, I might be willing to wait for a ?-300+ ish, IF I could find an affordable macro option to fill that void in my soul while I wait. MF only would be find for macro (I think) since so far I pretty much take over anyways.....

I don't think the kit will be good for kids sports. Especially on a FF. The 70-200 f/4 would be good, unless it's low light. (Consider a 1.4 TC for it.)

Well the tricky part is that if you want to stick with canon lenses the 300mm options are pretty slim unless you want to spend some big bucks.

As for the 50mm, well it's just a bit of a flat feeling focal length. It might just be a personal choice, but I am not a fan.

The 70-200 f/4 would be good, unless it's low light. (Consider a 1.4 TC for it.)

Skip the TC, you get such a little gain for some big compromises.

As for low light, well if she has the mk3 than it shouldn't be that big of an issue to crank up the ISO.

English humour :D but the original 5D does get very dusty, 50mm is great to walk round with on FF, i still have my 5D when i use it it has the 24-70F2.8 fitted, i'm thinking of getting an adapter that will auto focus and i can change aperture for my A7 to use because the colours they produce on the A7 are far better than the 5D

70-200F4 @ F4 cheap adapter on A7

DSC00897-X2.jpg

Skip the 50mm as it's pretty blah on a FF body. I hardly ever use mine.

That's a little odd. 50mm was probably the most popular focal length for 35mm film cameras....for 30-40 years.

Personally, I use my 50mm a lot more on full frame, than I ever used it on a crop camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back