Is the 5dmkiii kit lens (24-105) worth picking up?

two things.

1. I think calling this lens a "kit lens" is doing it s disservice. It's a full blown L lens with great build quality and superb optics.

2. Look into the used market. As it is a "kit" lens most well-to-do type will sell it cheap so they can get the 2.8's.

lookie here, most are $400 off. find a reputable seller and save a bundle.
canon 24-105mm f/4l is usm | eBay

It is interesting because I was about to post a topic on Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and the price on Ebay in particular. I have noticed that ebay sellers have it, as you said, 400.00 off so I was wondering if the lenses are new and function well as sellers advertise them. ?!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The "kit" term actually did influence my decision. After the fact, I discovered it is a very good lens! I already have the 70-200, so I got a 24-70 II instead. I find that I am missing the IS, and have to be extra careful in hand-held shooting. Having said that, it IS one sweet lens!

The "kit" term actually did influence my decision. After the fact, I discovered it is a very good lens! I already have the 70-200, so I got a 24-70 II instead. I find that I am missing the IS, and have to be extra careful in hand-held shooting. Having said that, it IS one sweet lens!

You are regretting getting the $2,000 24-70mm f/2.8 mark ii vs the $800 24-105mm f/4? I'm going to bedford right now and buy a 24-105 and I'll meet you in Chickasha for an even swap ;)

You've got a lot of glass on your shopping list.

The 70-200mm..... there are several variants on these and they're all good. Many photographers use these for portraiture.

The 50mm is a standard "normal angle of view" lens when used on a full frame body. Not really telephoto... not really wide angle. No compression. No stretch. Just "normal". On a full frame body, the 85mm focal length is probably the most commonly associated with "portrait" lens... and photographers will go higher -- some would use a 135mm for portraits.

The "kit" lens is simply the lens that the manufacturer includes when you buy a body/lens combination in order to save a bit on the initial purchase. "Which" lens is the kit lens will depend entirely on what level of camera system you're buying. The "kit" on most APS-C entry-level bodies is almost always an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. The "kit" on an APS-C mid-grade body (for Canon that would be 70D -- bodies with 2 numbers in front of the "D") is usually a slightly better 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 (though I've noticed you can often get it with the 18-55).

When you get into full-frame bodies, the whole price bracket shifts and with it... the quality of the "kit" lens shifts right along with it. Canon includes the 24-105mm f/4L USM which is a very nice lens -- don't confuse "kit" with "entry level".

I've noticed that if someone orders a full frame body with one lens, then that lens tends to be the 24-105. If they plan to immediately get the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS... then they *often* will skip the 24-105 and opt for the 24-70mm f/2.8L USM instead. You lose a little focal length and you don't get image stabilization, but you gain a stop because it's an f/2.8 lens.

I opted to get a 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 ... but since you mentioned that this purchase is going to require a bit of saving up (and, btw... I didn't buy all my glass on day 1 either) then I'd probably go with the 24-105 and not bother to buy anything else for a while.

A 5D III "kit" is about $4k but with Canon's current promotion it's about $3800 after rebate.
A 5D III body-only is about $3400 and with Canon's current promotion it's about $3200 after rebate. The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is about $1150. Add that up and it's $4350.

Notice how if you get the "kit" it's $3800. If you buy the two separately it's $4350. ... a difference of $550.

That's QUITE a price difference for just buying the 5D III with the "kit" lens -- and frankly I'd get the body with the kit lens. I bought mine as a "body only" because I already owned a 5D II and had all the lenses I needed.

I would not bother with the 50mm -- certainly not for portraits anyway. If you own a 5D III you're not allowed to buy the 50mm f/1.8 version -- only the f/1.4 version. If we learn otherwise, we come to your house and take away your 5D III club membership card. ;-)

The thing is... the 24-105 is just so gosh-darned versatile that it's hard to justify the prime lenses in it's range. I suppose if I were going to justify a portrait lens, it'd be the 85mm f/1.8 or the 135mm f/2L. But frankly... if you're going to pick up the 70-200mm at some point... that makes a pretty fantastic portrait lens on it's own.

If I had a 24-105mm and perhaps even a 70-200mm... I think I'd be looking at lighting before I started looking at more glass.

There is a big clue if the 24-105 is good or not it says L at the end

Most reactions

Back