I'm sorry runnah, but I have grown tired of your constant, incessant "needling" of me anytime I say anything you perceive as being even remotely negative about your new favorite brand, Canon. Seriously, the term "kit" does not mean it's bad-quality. Would you refuse life-saving first aid because the EMT used a first aid "kit" on you?
I spent $3,995 of my own cash money to buy a Canon 5D "kit". I used to work at a camera store: manufacturers package best-sellers in "kit" packages. It has been done for years.
Canon labels every English-speaking country's 5D,5D-II,and 5D-II boxes that have a 24-105 L inside
with the word KIT right on the package.
The 24-105 L IS USM is soooooooooo pentiful on e-Bay and second hand because it has been "kitted" in every single market: Europe,Asia, North America, South America, Australia/New Zealand.
As a guy who was a top camera salesman for a while, let me tell you why "kits" are made: They bring dealers higher profit margins, and they give customers a ready-made "kit", like it says on the freaking BOXES CANON MAKES UP, so that buyers get what the UK calls, "a great piece of kit". A complete, ready-to-sell, all-in-one, pre-packaged "kit". Buyers will purchase a Canon or Nikon factory-made kit with confidence, KNOWING that the camera maker considers this and this to be a great "kit".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_24–105mm_lens
"The
EF 24–105mm f/4.0L IS USM is an
EF mount wide-to-
telephoto zoom lens. It was introduced by
Canon in 2005 to complement the well-regarded
17–40mm f/4L USM and
70–200mm f/4L USM. It is often included as the
kit lens with the
Canon 6D body."
My post above to Jazzie indicated I owned one of these for eight years, and I think it's a great lens option. It can be bought, brand new, with a body, in a kit. Canon itself considers the 24-105-L to be the kit lens pairing for the 5D-III and the 6D.