Is there an S1h Killer (incoming)?

FrankthetankMP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there,
In the last few months I have been watching for a new camera in the price range of 1000-4000 dollars or euros to buy for shortfilm projects and maybe photography (this for me is a secondary aspect I do not need that much because I have another cheaper photography-only cam but which is nice to have).
During my researches I found the Panasonic Lumix S1H which for me seems to be the best camera you can possibly get in this range of money. It has many features and only a few disadvantages:

Advantages:
-6k Video 10 bit 24 fps
-multiple FHD, 4k and 5.9 K modes
-Very Nice Lowlightbehaviour so you can use footage up to 12800 without any problems in video and photography
-Lowpassfilter
-Imagestabilization
-96 MP-Image mode for not-moving things
-Full-Frame Sensor
-Even ProRes Raw will be possible if you own the right recorder
-14 Stops+ Dynamic Range
-Best digital viewfinder in this price area
-Autofocus does work very well for a Camera with this specs
-Ability to save footage on SD cards cheaply
-According to reviews: The cam has almost no problems with weather
-Completely turnable Screen
-Internal camera-ventilation

Little Disadvantages (which do not matter for me):
-expensive + not very many lenses (but with the mc-21 adapter you do not have the problem)

-Low Pass filter makes image a bit less sharp (but you only see this problem by zooming in s1 and s1h footage 200% and then comparing)

-SlowMo in 6k is not possible (I do not use it so often. If I need slowmo I can also go down to 4k)

-ventilation can be loud (but only in 6k and putting the microphone directly onto the camera instead of near the people/objects/things you film is not very often a good idea)

-everything under 6k is cropped in

-3999 Euros is money - this is the only bigger problem for me but for that amount of features I am ready to pay

So finally this camera seems to be a GOD. But although this camera seems to be close to perfect I better ask other people if they now: Are there any cameras in this money-class which are more godlike? Or is there any big problem with the S1h i forgott to mention or I do underestimate in this post?

Thanks for answer in before.

The new Nikon Z6 has a few video features which are only found in this camera for less than $25,000. have you seen the new Nikon all in one cinematographers kit? Have you seen any video footage from the camera or cameras which you are considering? Specifications are fine, but actual footage speaks very loudly.

@Derrel
Yeah I took a look at the footage and even tried out the workflow with the footage (took a look at cameras like z cam e2 / e2s6 and kinefinity). Thanks for the mentioning of Z6 :) . I did exclude it from my researches because of the mediocre lowlight performance. But I will take a look on it.

mediocre low light performance?

cinematic quality depends greatly
on lighting. being able to shoot in bad light is a concern for news shooters, while cinematography depends greatly on lighting sets... crap lighting leads to crap footage...

I know it does and I really care about lightning in the most cases. But for me it does not feel right to be unflexible towards that point. Because flexibility in lowlight also means that I can work with light-sources which other cameras wouldn´t be able to work with.
Ambient lightning for example does not have the strength you would need normally but yet it is nice to work with.
For example I recently shot a scene in a kitchen. It was dawn and the room got just a little light but it had a great effect. There was one person in the scene sitting close to a not very bright kitchenlight. The colors, contrasts and everything looked fine and sinister, just as the scene demanded it... But the noise was problematic. And yes I could have used stronger lights in the kitchen and to compensate the contrast also filming when the kitchen itself is better lightened + colorgraded it more night-ly. But in this case for example this was not necessary because it looked fine. Only the noise was annoying.
And here I did not have the ability to change the kitchenlights or film at another time of day.

it's your camera. I would say drop the €4000if you feel that low light photography is all important then by all means make that an important criterion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back