Is this a good idea, for my daughter taking a college photography course?

Wait, a photography degree or just a class? If it's just a class, I'd wait till she finds out exactly what's needed for the class. Also, the school's photography department should have cameras to loan. She can use it for the first assignment while looking for the right equipment for the class herself.

this^

I agree with waiting for more information. I also think an older camera would be great. All she will need is the basics, and the less assist features the better. It will push her to rely more on what she has learned.
WHOA WHOA WHO I did NOT say they are not capable of making technology decisions.

They ARE capable of making decisions, just because YOU may not like those decisions does not mean that they are not capable of making them. Part of making ones own decisions is learning to accept the consequences. You not letting your daughter make her own decision means that she cannot learn the consequences of using some of HER own money, meaning that she will not have that mony to spend on other things.

You CAN make clothing decisions. But you have learned that those clothing decisions have consequences and thus have chosen to ask for help with clothing decisions.

If studying photography is really important to your daughter then she really should be involved in the decision.

I'm sorry but you're way out of line.

Wait, a photography degree or just a class? If it's just a class, I'd wait till she finds out exactly what's needed for the class. Also, the school's photography department should have cameras to loan. She can use it for the first assignment while looking for the right equipment for the class herself.

this^

Yah, agree this makes sense. The only issue is that if we are going to be out on the used market the supply will dry up a bit as college kicks in, early bird/worm sort of situation on used equipment. We have a dozen colleges here as well as high schools who have these types of classes. My daughter needs to consult with the instructor asap to find out what is needed...

Thanks for all the help!

I'd have to think back... but it seems I remember having my dad go with me to make a relatively large purchase - and at the prices of cameras today I can see why a parent would be involved in such a purchase. I'd be careful about her making a purchase from craigslist anyway as you don't know the seller or if they or the information they've listed is trustworthy.

Buying used thru a company like KEH might be an option; they're a reputable dealer, I've bought from them quite a bit. If she gets a camera from them and then finds out the course requirements and that she needs something else she could trade in. Not knowing what the course is it's hard to know what would be best, but I'd think considering getting a used body and a decent lens might be an option instead of getting a kit lens that might be limiting.

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

this^

Yah, agree this makes sense. The only issue is that if we are going to be out on the used market the supply will dry up a bit as college kicks in, early bird/worm sort of situation on used equipment. We have a dozen colleges here as well as high schools who have these types of classes. My daughter needs to consult with the instructor asap to find out what is needed...

Thanks for all the help!

I think that:
  • some college classes may want to start their kids with film, not digital so waiting until the very last moment may save an expensive detour.
  • the number of college kids buying used is so tiny compared to the constant flood of used stuff on the market that buying a camera when you know the real needs will be no problem.
  • the best place to buy used is probably not in the vicinity of a college but from an established source that will stand behind their product - like KEH, B&H, Adorama or Calumet.

I'm sorry but you're way out of line.

now, let's not be too hard on Light Guru - I totally get what he is saying and I was not offended at all. I think the part he is missing is that of course I know they *can* make decisions, last time I checked their cerebral cortices were being supplied with oxygen and nutrients...BUT both they and I recognize that they are weak in this particular area. That's all. No evil agenda to have people rely on me in perpetuity or to strip them of their own free will. They came to me for help and I wanted to help.

The clothing thing trust me I really *can't* make a decision. I'm like Rainman in a clothing store. Last time they had to page my wife to the front desk. I think they actually paged the "caregiver" for Chris please come to the front of the store.

It's all good. I really enjoy this site you guys obviously know your stuff.

Do you guys think this would 'cut it' in a 2013 college photography course? Or will she get assignments that will require more pixel density and/or a different lens?
For an entry level course, this should be plenty. 10 years ago many of us were using 5mp in commercial applications and we managed OK. At this point it's about learning the creative and technical processes.

I think the part he is missing is that of course I know they *can* make decisions

Well then perhaps you should not say things like
They are not capable of making technology decisions, at all.

I'm not saying let her compleatly decide on her on you definitely should be there to help with the decision just like you you let others help you choose what cloths to buy.

The Nikon D50 is an excellent choice for a first camera where someone's budget is limited. It is no where close to being obsolete or outdated, but yes it is an older design.

The D50 has an auto focus motor in the body so it can use both Nikon AF and AF-S lenses, and it has 2 command wheels for making manual exposure setting adjustments, features unavailable with the cameras recommended in post #2. Nikon's current professional grade cameras have an auto focus motor in the camera body and 2 command wheels.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you share some of the course description maybe board members could get a better idea what the class might cover (or maybe not... LOL).

I'm just thinking this time of year she might not be able to contact the instructor til closer to fall semester starting; the college campus near me this week just turned into a ghost town for the rest of the summer (seriously many offices are now closed and only main buildings are even open).

vintagesnaps - that was a great idea and why the heck didn't I think about it! Here's the course:

Basic Photography
Three Credits
An introduction to the study of photography as a means of creative expression.
Students will explore basic concepts, processes, and techniques including camera
usage, exposure controls, film development, darkroom procedures, and print
presentation. Developing and printing black and white photographs will be an
integral part of the course. Creative exploration through specific assignments will
form the basis for development of aesthetic criteria. No previous photographic
experience is assumed. Students must supply their own cameras with adjustable
apertures and shutter speeds. Offered every semester.

So, now it sounds like we are in the emulsion realm not digital (!) yikes...

Well there is your answer...she would need a film camera for that course.

If that is not really what she's looking for, she might check to see if they have a digital version of that course.
I don't doubt that she (or anyone) could learn a lot of great things in a course like that...but if it (film & developing) is something that she's never going to pursue after this one course...then why take it?

There are many things that do cross over between film & digital...and those are the things to learn. Exposure; shutter speed, aperture, ISO. Composition etc.

...BUT both they and I recognize that they are weak in this particular area. That's all. No evil agenda to have people rely on me in perpetuity or to strip them of their own free will. They came to me for help and I wanted to help.

So here's a thought: Give your daughter a couple of general pointers (It looks like this class is going to be doing film, so you'll probably want to look at film cameras - etc.), and have her do some preliminary legword (check out on-line reviews, talk to salesmen*, etc.) When she's done, ask for her thoughts and opinions. THEN, you can offer her feedback and advice. This way you're forcing her to develop in an area in which she's weak while still helping to guide that development and keeping her from making too big a mistake.

* Take her to a camera store, but make it clear before you go that the first visit is a "research visit" only. Let her direct the conversation, and be ready to offer 'reminders' - but only when you think it's absolutely necessary.

thanks rlemert, good advice. Mike, all the digital courses are 300 level and above and require this class as a prerequisite so I think we are headed to finding a film camera...

Both of my kids took photography courses their 1st semester and although both were B/W one was film & the other was digital - so wait until your exactly clear on what she needs, she may not make the purchase decision but she should be involved with the process - letting kids stand on their own two feet is a parents job IMHO so in case, god forbid, we're not around.... anyway I have bought a used, very clean, excellent working Nikon FE for my daughters class, after the class ended it never got picked up again. If this interest you shoot me a pm - if not good luck! ..... PS: you're really not buying your own clothes ???? :D

Most reactions

Back