Is this camera worthy?

Neekay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I need help, am a photography student at a local college. I bought a DSLR camera and am wondering if it's the tight camera for a professional photographer. The model of the camera is panasonic lumix dmc-fz30. Please help

Being a professional photographer is about the photographer, not the camera used.

though the camera you listed is not identified as a "professional" camera when it comes to features, etc.

It's more of a beginner camera. And probably priced accordingly.
It does create RAW images, so that is a good thing for post processing.

Being a professional photographer is about the photographer, not the camera used.
True... to a point.

IMO, no, not really. It will be fine for learning on, and getting familiar with the basic concepts of exposure, composition and so forth, but it lacks key features generally necessary for a working pro, chief among them, the capability to change lenses.

..am wondering if it's the right camera for a professional photographer.
Do you consider yourself a professional photographer now?

On your journey toward becoming a professional photographer, you have to start somewhere. If you have "the eye", and can see outstanding photographs, then you're ahead of everyone else, and it won't matter much what camera you have.

There is also the fact that most pro cameras are really built like a tank, fully weather sealed that can't stand up to some really harsh environments or get knocked around.Have you ever seen used pro body's that looked like they survived a few crashes or explosions and still functioning. It's not that you can't get pro work with lesser of a camera but at least having interchangeable lens system is a better start towards pro work.

the FZ30 is NOT a professional camera. It isn't even a DSLR.
Heck...might even get teased by the instructor if you're taking photography in college.

Old camera. See what it can do.

I will not comment about the "professional" comment and just reply to what I think of this camera
Its old, old, old!!!
Has tiny sensor and very slow lens
At 2005 when it was new it was designed to be a travel camera for good lighting condition.
Its ok to take pictures with it, maybe even learn basic photography but honestly if you want a good camera then this really isn't the camera you should be looking at, not even close.
The camera isn't a DSLR its a Superzoom point and shoot, was designed to be a family and vacation camera.
Advise, always do research before you buy anything including camera.

Seems like a fine camera for a photography class and possibly for a first year photography student. Has manual exposure mode, can do spot metering, can adjust WB (but not in °K), can shoot in RAW, you can do manual focus.

A profesional photographer will use the type of camera required for the job. As you are just starting out it seems a bit premature to go out and buy a professional camera system that you may find is not the one that fits your style of photography, or that you just don't want to be a photographer.

I have a camera that I bought from a photography student, started out in photography and then decided to so something else.

Heck...might even get teased by the instructor if you're taking photography in college.

This is a very condescending and discouraging comment. I get that maybe you were trying to be funny but I were the OP it definitely would've discouraged me to revisit the forum which is not what this forum is about. Additionally, you make it seem as if DSLR is the only route to go which is certainly not true.

Seems like a fine camera for a photography class and possibly for a first year photography student. Has manual exposure mode, can do spot metering, can adjust WB (but not in °K), can shoot in RAW, you can do manual focus.

A profesional photographer will use the type of camera required for the job. As you are just starting out it seems a bit premature to go out and buy a professional camera system that you may find is not the one that fits your style of photography, or that you just don't want to be a photographer.

I have a camera that I bought from a photography student, started out in photography and then decided to so something else.
I agree

This is a very condescending and discouraging comment. I get that maybe you were trying to be funny but I were the OP it definitely would've discouraged me to revisit the forum which is not what this forum is about. Additionally, you make it seem as if DSLR is the only route to go which is certainly not true.
Well if he was told to bring a DSLR or at least an interchangable lens camera and he showed up with a superzoom dating back to 2005, it would be worth a few chuckles.

No, it doesn't have to be a DSLR but to get the power and flexibility of a DSLR it make sense you will need a camera that can change lenses and have a bigger sensor, wrong choice of words but I think in a way it is correct, this camera was just a fun family vacation camera 12 years ago, today it can make pictures assuming its still operational but it is less then a basic modern camera with a very old tech sensor which is tiny and very slow lens.

No, it doesn't have to be a DSLR but to get the power and flexibility of a DSLR it make sense you will need a camera that can change lenses and have a bigger sensor, wrong choice of words but I think in a way it is correct, this camera was just a fun family vacation camera 12 years ago, today it can make pictures assuming its still operational but it is less then a basic modern camera with a very old tech sensor which is tiny and very slow lens.
I did bring a Minox 35GT as my camera of choice at a photography contest. (Other people mostly had SLRs or Leica range finders).
But with film, there is no sensor tech to worry about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back