is this considered still life?

EWWWWW! Theres a freakin' hair!
lets just say its black licorice (is that spelled right?) to go along with the whole candy theme goin on, oh and the reason theres no reads or purples is because my girlfriend only likes hte reds and purples and leaves me the other colors

Laf. Not to mention what might get picked up from the carpet or whatever they are on.

We are not being very helpful with regard to the original question. Nobody has given a definition of "still life" that seems acceptable here.

Laf. Not to mention what might get picked up from the carpet or whatever they are on.

We are not being very helpful with regard to the original question. Nobody has given a definition of "still life" that seems acceptable here.
at least we are getting some sort of a laugh out of this, this has now become an entertainment thread

Nobody has given a definition of "still life" that seems acceptable here.
I suggested 2 image searches, which bring up thousands of examples of what is accepted as traditional still life imagery. What more do you need? :confused:

Nobody has given a definition of "still life" that seems acceptable here.
I suggested 2 image searches, which bring up thousands of examples of what is accepted as traditional still life imagery. What more do you need? :confused:

Granted, there are many examples but they fit the Wikipedia definition that seems unacceptable.

I am not trying to turn this into a pissing match, I would also like a definition that is considered to be acceptable.

Art history has about a million acceptable definitions.

Additionally, the OP posted straightforward guidelines:
"the subject matter of the photograph is up to you; however it must depict a still life arrangement. find objects that have a variety of textures and values. select an appropriate place and background."

Granted, there are many examples but they fit the Wikipedia definition that seems unacceptable.

I am not trying to turn this into a pissing match, I would also like a definition that is considered to be acceptable.

You really need a definition after looking at all those images? After reading the *whole* Wiki article?

Derrel, do you find the Wiki article on still life imagery to be innacurate?

Ron, how do you come up with a concise definition of something to include the billion combinations of what it could be, and the billion combinations of what it isn't?

Bitter
Ron, how do you come up with a concise definition of something to include the billion combinations of what it could be, and the billion combinations of what it isn't?

Not sure Bitter but I thought the Wikipedia definition was concise. It was dismissed but why?

At one time in my past I wrote technical specifications that were thoroughly vetted & yet in application were perverted from the intent. It was not until I was able to "see" where the "perverter" was coming from that I could see the fault in the spec.

I suppose I am supporting your argument that it would be difficult to write a concise definition that would satisfy everyone.

Bitter

Not sure Bitter but I thought the Wikipedia definition was concise. It was dismissed but why?

At one time in my past I wrote technical specifications that were thoroughly vetted & yet in application were perverted from the intent. It was not until I was able to "see" where the "perverter" was coming from that I could see the fault in the spec.

I suppose I am supporting your argument that it would be difficult to write a concise definition that would satisfy everyone.

That's why I referred OP to images rather than a definition. You pushed for a definition. You cannot has.

I get this all the time in my line of work. I am told to do something "flat", I do it "flat", by what I understand as flat. I am then told that is not what they meant. I am suposed to then make changes, for free. I don't. If the customer can't supply pictures, drawings, or better descriptions, it's their dime, not mine.

you guys crack me up.

I know, right?!

I get this all the time in my line of work. I am told to do something "flat", I do it "flat", by what I understand as flat. I am then told that is not what they meant. I am suposed to then make changes, for free. I don't. If the customer can't supply pictures, drawings, or better descriptions, it's their dime, not mine.

i would do the same exact thing

Most reactions

Back