Is this legal? Can I do this?

I went to a high school football practice yesterday that was also a pot luck party for the parents. I took a bunch of pictures, then handed out my business cards and told parents if they emailed me their kids number I'd email them web size images for free. I got 16 emails last night and another 7 so far today.

I'm emailing the images out this weekend along with a special coupon for portraits.

There are lots of "free" ways to advertise that only cost your time.

Thanks all for your input. Maybe I should just deliver them door to door. But even if i did it.. twisted &gary you are right. what can they really do? I tried to find some info on this, but found nothing.
The flier will have your business name and info on it; they're a newspaper. Do I really have to draw you a picture???????

I'm sure if they catch you, they will understand that you couldn't find ANY info. on how to contact a local paper.:lmao:

Thanks for the ideas! I was just thinking of doing this in a specific neighborhood (navy housing) because there are tons of familes w/kids. Plus id say about 50% of my clients have been military clients.

If this is base housing, most, if not all, military installations require permission to solicit on base. Not having it and getting caught could get you banned from the base.

I had a bunch of fliers printed to promote my business. I was thinking of spending the 50 cents at a newspaper machine and putting my fliers in each paper. I was going to go to a bunch of local newspaper machines to do this. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe if i have to ask "is this legal" maybe its not? :lol: IDK... just wondering....

It is NOT legal. Companies pay the newspapers for inserts and it's a big money maker for newspapers. They will NOT take lightly to you putting anything of your own in their papers without asking....

It's just bad form. I say don't do it. It's not ethical. And it's a bit (more than a bit) tacky.

Did you really have to ask this question?

Those machines are the property of the newspaper or vendor who owns the contract. They have the right to control what is inside them, and my guess would be that tampering with them would be like tampering with anyone else's private property. Placing a stack on top, on other other hand, may also be illegal but I doubt it'd get you in much trouble.

Don't do it. Like previously stated other companies pay money to put their ads in the paper. By you doing what you asked, to me is essentially stealing. Karma.

My community has a local news letter (booklet) the ads are super cheap like $10 a month. There is also a website about the city I live in that advertises local businesses categorized by community. For me it's $150 every 3 months. It's great and not very expensive. as for fliers I would do door to door as well as hang them in local businesses that allow it.

Most reactions

Back