It has been much too long

paulzeee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I've actually spent time behind my camera...

My attempts here at to really capture the essence of actually standing there. While standing there you can faintly see the park bench. I'm open to comments on other exposure ideas

St. Paul Skyline 2013 by PMFITCH, on Flickr

This photo is very nice. I think the bench and the tree are useless. I like the lightings from the buildings and the lake reflection. But, I could be wrong.

Great colours, good exposure ... I have no objection to the presence of the bench and tree as they operate as a medium between the spectator and the main subject, a reminder that there is something all around that brightly-lit scene as well as an invitation to sit down and admire the scene ... what I find regrettable is the insufficient place taken up by the reflection, and the presence of that red patch right in the middle of it ...

Thanks for the insight. It's a bit of a catch with this location. Where I'm standing is about 20 yards short of a 500 foot cliff. So to capture more the of river passing through I would have to be on the edge as seen here:

St. Paul Panorama by PMFITCH, on Flickr

Both of these are very nice. I actually prefer the first (the bench and tree seem to contribute to the shot, far from detracting from it), although the area taken up by the reflection would be better if it took up slightly more of the image. Very well done, regardless.

The first one is quite nice as is. There are some excellent reasons for the bench, not least that it echos the rising smoke/steam, whatever, and it provides some visual interest in the foreground.

The problem for me with this picture is that it just kind of peters out on the left side. The right is strongly framed by the trees (perhaps a little TOO strongly) but there's nothing going on left.

I would consider a crop like this:

$foo.jpg

reduce the trees a bit right, end on a strong note left. burn the upper left to "close up the frame" on that side, dodge the rising steam or whatever it is a bit.

I am going to come in from the other side, I really liked the first one better, and IMHO the subdued bench came across as the main subject that you didn't see right away. It gave me the feeling of waiting too long at a majestic place for someone who never showed up.. one of those pictures where your emotions do a 180 while you look at it. OK, I'm wierd..

Last edited:
hey, here's a crazy idea from a crazy guy.. do the first picture again, but as a multiple exposure, shoot it the first time at a shorter exposure with an anonymous lady on the bench then the second exposure on the same frame without the person on the bench so in the finished picture there is a translucent person on the bench. Ok, I'll shut up now..

hey, here's a crazy idea from a crazy guy.. do the first picture again, but as a multiple exposure, shoot it the first time at a shorter exposure with an anonymous lady on the bench then the second exposure on the same frame without the person on the bench so in the finished picture there is a translucent person on the bench. Ok, I'll shut up now..

I have a shot with my lady on the bench. I haven't processed it yet though. I'll get it up soon.

reduce the trees a bit right, end on a strong note left. burn the upper left to "close up the frame" on that side, dodge the rising steam or whatever it is a bit.

Thanks for the insight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back