It Was Only A matter Of Time

Wonder how much of this is due to the upsurge in film popularity? Fujifilm set to increase prices on 01 April by as much as 164%
Think you might want to have a look here and drop a digit? Making and selling less film doesn't necessarily make it cheaper, too. IMHO, the notion of an "upsurge in film popularity" is more a matter of faith(wishful thinking?)than verifiable fact. Remember that Kodak went broke in 2012, so any sort of uptick looks like a miracle compared to "peak film" in, say, 1999.

Last edited:
Their claiming it's from supply of raw materials and shipping prices. That does seem reasonable given the global economic climate. Though that doesn't make it hurt the wallet any less.

Think you might want to have a look here and drop a

Need to discuss that with Digital Camera World.

As to the reason for the increase, my experience has always been that large sudden price increases are a result of supply/demand, raw material shortages, or the manufacturer is exiting the market on an upturn. I don't shoot film anymore, (didnt shoot Fuji when I did), but for those who still want to, the cost may well start to discourage a few.

Tell me about it. Here at the store we make next to nil selling film. But we make it up with process/scan/print.

Perfect storm material? Narrowing selection of pricey film+Expensive and often scarce lab resources+ Higher paper and chemistry costs+Shrinking pool of quality cameras at rising prices+Vanishing repair services.

Seems joining the "film resurgence" is fraught with a few problems.

If I didn't have a film stash and a range of 35mm+MF gear, I'd be reluctant to buy in today given the above. No quality lab within a 90 minute drive is my chief headache now.

Last edited:
No quality lab within a 90 minute drive i

In the same boat. We used to have a great camera store in town that developed B&W and color. Two generations. Unfortunately there wasn't a third to take it over.

Thinking my new regimen is shooting 35+120, fridging it, dropping it in Toronto for processing on periodic trips. and picking it up later on subsequent visits. Lab is OK with this. I'm not totally happy but zero local alternatives. Still like 120 Kodak TMY-2 negs too much to throw in the towel on film. Perverse? Maybe but loading Mamiya and Bronica film backs is still catnip for me.

Last edited:
@webestang64 & @cgw no idea how old you are but I still remember the mail in places that if you sent them a roll to develop, they'd send you back, the negs, prints, AND a free roll film, Then we had the 1hr kiosks locations that popped up in parking lots everywhere. Drive up to the window, drop off, come back later for pickup. Either was cheaper than the cost of a roll of film now. It was always fun trying to guess what sort of tint your prints would have, every location was different. LOL

Film prices have climbed and early this year with Kodak announcing an increase coming in a couple months what do you think folks did, stock up and there was a back order situation. But film cost is still a drop in the bucket compared to mailing 2 ways which is almost as much as the film itself, then processing along with cost for push/pull and scanning. I'm just developing 3 rolls today and have 3 hour turnaround to digital and instead of over $30 a roll, its $10 or so including chemicals.

Film prices have climbed and early this year with Kodak announcing an increase coming in a couple months what do you think folks did, stock up and there was a back order situation. But film cost is still a drop in the bucket compared to mailing 2 ways which is almost as much as the film itself, then processing along with cost for push/pull and scanning. I'm just developing 3 rolls today and have 3 hour turnaround to digital and instead of over $30 a roll, its $10 or so including chemicals.
Agree. My close filmhead friends chide me regularly for not processing my own b&w. They're total hardcores--pinhole, 4x5, wet plate, weird Middle European and Ukrainian films whose names I can't pronounce, and witches' brew developers. I love them and respect their work mightily. I have dialed in DSLR scanning for b&w and admit the results aren't half bad, especially with 120. For me, it's looking like adios to C-41 this year, especially for non-serious stuff, since digital provides so much more creative space.

Reactions: Tyg
Agree. My close filmhead friends chide me regularly for not processing my own b&w. They're total hardcores--pinhole, 4x5, wet plate, weird Middle European and Ukrainian films whose names I can't pronounce, and witches' brew developers. I love them and respect their work mightily. I have dialed in DSLR scanning for b&w and admit the results aren't half bad, especially with 120. For me, it's looking like adios to C-41 this year, especially for non-serious stuff, since digital provides so much more creative space.
I still can't easily replicate portra even with the best plugins. That is one film that took a large price increase.

I still can't easily replicate portra even with the best plugins. That is one film that took a large price increase.
I'm still happy with the old, free Nik plug-ins. Worth a look if you don't have 'em. Lots of online tutorials still available for that set.

By who's standards? Sometimes I fear we might be to OCD. Most people don't have the same critical eye we do.

@webestang64 & @cgw no idea how old you are but I still remember the mail in places that if you sent them a roll to develop, they'd send you back, the negs, prints, AND a free roll film, Then we had the 1hr kiosks locations that popped up in parking lots everywhere. Drive up to the window, drop off, come back later for pickup. Either was cheaper than the cost of a roll of film now. It was always fun trying to guess what sort of tint your prints would have, every location was different. LOL
At the age of 13 (1977) I'd ride my 10 speed bike up to the photo kiosk that was just down the road from where I grew up. It was in it's own little parking lot and I drop off my 126 cartridge's and get bordered 3.5x3.5's. Did not care about quality at that point I was just having fun. Quality did not come to me until I got my K1000 in 1980.
And that kiosk is still there, it's a coffee shop kiosk now.

BTW.....Bought 2 rolls of Portra 400 35mm for my trip to Vegas. Using my Pentax MV with 1.7 50mm. First film I've shot since 2019.

Reactions: Tyg

Most reactions

Back