It's time to make a change.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by nerwin, Feb 27, 2018.

1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Even worst battery life too haha. Now if it had a new battery with double life then I might be interested. But same sensor as XT2, so image quality wise won't be any difference.

2. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    @nerwin youre killing me with this thread man.

I almost switched to Fuji before I bought my D810 and upgraded my Nikon kit, but decided against it.

As I get more into adventure photography and multiple day backpacking trips, weight is at a premium. Obviously the D810 is the better landscape camera.. but it’s a heck of a lot of weight to carry.

Seriously debating selling my D500 and buying an X-T2 and a single lens for landscape/adventure stuff. But I haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

Your desire to do so is realllllly tempting me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nerwin

It's not a easy decision. Sometimes you need to go with your gut.

A part of me is saying to get the A7 III. Lol.

4. Destin

Photos OK to edit
    Yep. I’ve thought that too.

But then I’ve also thought about ditching both my bodies for a D850.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. nerwin

The problem I have with the A7 line, the lenses are still just as big if not more and probably heavier. Speaking of zooms of course. Throw some primes on it and it's basically the same size as the Fuji XT-2.

The other problem is the cost. So expensive. Sure I could get it with the 24-105 but that would pretty much be it.

I'd rather get the Fuji camera and be able to get the lenses I want/need right now. My friend who was the Sony A7 III launch said the camera is awesome but he still prefers the color output of his Fuji X-Pro 2. He also stated that the IQ is about the same in daylight. Of course the A7 will be better in low light. It's physics.

With my horrible luck, I'll buy the XT2 and a month later they will announce the XT3 or the price will drop $300. That's usually how it works right?

Tough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As to lens size, watch this...

7. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Re battery life- went to a photo shoot yesterday with 3 batteries. Took 408 shots before I had to swap out. Used Boost mode the whole time. I use the lcd for quick chimps only and use the eye sensor for the EVF. Had the Xt2 with the 18-55 zoom in my hands for 3+ hours straight no breaks holding in mostly portrait mode and my arms and shoulders never felt weighted. My knees however are protesting today!

Have never, even during a full 12 hour day of shooting in VT in Fall, had to use the 3rd battery. I see the battery life as being an issue only if you camp for multiple days with no access to recharge. And just like the power pack phone chargers, there are solutions for that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Agree that battery-hungry Fuji X cameras are a bit of an urban legend. That said, my X100T is does suck power but only to the extent that I'm in chimp-a-holic mode; otherwise, I rarely put much a dent into a second teensy NP-95 during a day of street shooting. The X-T1's larger battery simply doesn't drain as fast. Still, the Fuji batteries are tiny, cheap(after-markets) and usually quick to charge. Afraid I'm neglecting my Nikon D7200+primes kit for the Fujis. Leaves room for a small Nikon film body+50/1.8!

• Like Like x 1
  9. nerwin

Just read this article from Creative Live about the Fuji X system - It's worth a read. It's short enough. The Fujifilm X Approach — An Insiders Take — CreativeLive Blog

It completely backs what I've been trying to say. At the end he writes about the feeling of the camera in your hands and if your not enjoying it, then your photos will suffer and that's exactly how I've been feeling lately.

Yes, the camera doesn't really matter. We all know that.

But shouldn't we get the tools that we like and are comfortable with? A painter will buy differen't brushes than another painter. Do they do same thing? Yes. But feeling of the brush can make that bit of a difference in the work.

My brother is carpenter and while he could just use a common $50 hammer from Home Depot to do his job, but he instead uses a $250 high end hammer simply because it feels comfortable in his hands and allows him to do his work better.

It's the same concept.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Except your not going from a $50 hammer to a $250 hammer, you are going from a nice sledgehammer to a fine ball peen hammer :)

You have a nice setup right now, you can also do something very similar in the Fuji line.

You might also look at On1 for Fuji Raw processing, they came in with a rating above LR for that type of Raw file.

11. nerwin

I'm not switching editing software. I like LR for the organization. However, I am buying the Iridient X-Transformer plugin. I'm very happy with it. Good enough for me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Destin

Photos OK to edit

@nerwin let us know what you end up doing and how you like it.

Mainly so I can make my decision based on your satisfaction or lack there of.

• Like Like x 1