It's time to make a change.

Just make sure you're sure before you start selling things off.

Just make sure you're sure before you start selling things off.

Yup. No need to rush into something regretting it later. I just gotta figure out what it is I really want but discussing this on here and with some of my other friends really helped me out.

All these ads, YouTube reviews and articles makes you want to buy a new gear! Subliminal messages. Haha or I'm having a major GAS attack (is that even a thing?).

I'm not legally allowed on commercial planes as of right now.
Kinda like my situation. Even though I can be onboard, I'm not allowed to pilot or copilot commercial aircraft right now.

Same here, the Federal Witness Protection policy is, for me, to only board a commercial airline dressed as a pilot.

Last edited:
Perhaps instead of selling the DSLR, you could keep it and also get something smaller. If you ever do planned photo shoots, the size of the camera shouldn't be an issue if it's bigger since you wouldn't be using it as often as you would a smaller camera that you intend to carry around more frequently.

If money is an issue I understand though, and if you end up selling your DSLR it doesn't mean you wont be able to get another in the future if you decide you miss it. If you do end up regretting your decision to sell after getting the new camera, it also doesn't mean you can't make the best of that situation with the new camera.

Have you considered renting your 2 or 3 finalist cameras for a weekend and having a shootout?

Perhaps instead of selling the DSLR, you could keep it and also get something smaller. If you ever do planned photo shoots, the size of the camera shouldn't be an issue if it's bigger since you wouldn't be using it as often as you would a smaller camera that you intend to carry around more frequently.

If money is an issue I understand though, and if you end up selling your DSLR it doesn't mean you wont be able to get another in the future if you decide you miss it. If you do end up regretting your decision to sell after getting the new camera, it also doesn't mean you can't make the best of that situation with the new camera.

If my pockets did go deep enough, I'd buy a lightweight system for sure and keep my DSLR. But I've heard others who've done the same and they ended up never touching their DSLR again hahaha.

But you know that gut feeling you get sometimes? It just feels like it will be the right decision for me. I'm hoping it will rekindle the spark I had for photography and having a new challenge of learning a different system might be exactly what I need and because the camera is so light and more compact, I'd be more inclined to take it with me everywhere and take more photos. Right now, I never grab my DSLR when I go out just I don't want to deal with it and the sling strap. I'm just not comfortable walking around with it anymore.

A year ago I hated mirrorless cameras. It's funny how things change isn't it? To be honest though...whether we like it or not. Camera technology is changing and mirrorless is taking over, the differences between mirrorless and DSLR gap is getting less and less, especially with that new Sony A7 III (I drooled a little). So I pretty much gave into it lol.

In sort of an odd way, I almost feel like I'm starting over. I don't know, I'm just weird haha :)

Have you considered renting your 2 or 3 finalist cameras for a weekend and having a shootout?

I've considered it. But the cost of renting was just too much for me. It's like throwing away money and I don't have a lot of it to throw away haha.

You know Fuji has a new camera out, the X-H1. Same sensor as the XT2, but better AF, IBIS, better Video and more robust. It is a bit bigger than the XT2.

You know Fuji has a new camera out, the X-H1. Same sensor as the XT2, but better AF, IBIS, better Video and more robust. It is a bit bigger than the XT2.

I do. But it's the same size as a DSLR. What am I saving?

I didn't know it was that big. (I haven't touched/used a dSLR in many years.)

Even worst battery life too haha. Now if it had a new battery with double life then I might be interested. But same sensor as XT2, so image quality wise won't be any difference.

@nerwin youre killing me with this thread man.

I almost switched to Fuji before I bought my D810 and upgraded my Nikon kit, but decided against it.

As I get more into adventure photography and multiple day backpacking trips, weight is at a premium. Obviously the D810 is the better landscape camera.. but it’s a heck of a lot of weight to carry.

Seriously debating selling my D500 and buying an X-T2 and a single lens for landscape/adventure stuff. But I haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

Your desire to do so is realllllly tempting me.

@nerwin youre killing me with this thread man.

I almost switched to Fuji before I bought my D810 and upgraded my Nikon kit, but decided against it.

As I get more into adventure photography and multiple day backpacking trips, weight is at a premium. Obviously the D810 is the better landscape camera.. but it’s a heck of a lot of weight to carry.

Seriously debating selling my D500 and buying an X-T2 and a single lens for landscape/adventure stuff. But I haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

Your desire to do so is realllllly tempting me.

It's not a easy decision. Sometimes you need to go with your gut.

A part of me is saying to get the A7 III. Lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back