I've been here a while and still don't get it.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by zombiesniper, Oct 13, 2020.

1. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I beg to differ. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree there is a lot of that out there but this type of thread is more specific and doesn't begin as a no consequence type of situation. It almost seems like what was posted earlier, that some people need to justify why or what they have or do. It's like they seem to think they have something to prove. I find it curious because they're trying to prove their worth to a bunch of people that wouldn't notice they were hit by a bus tomorrow.

A lot of time and energy has been wasted by many users on here trying this type of behaviour and they all have one thing in common. I can't remember any of them.

P.S. I'm nicer on the internet than I am in person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These forums are heavily populated with collectors not photographers. On some sites, they post more photos of their camera and BOXES, than actual photos. I think most of those statements have to do with gear or tech issues than actual images.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Ah yes, I never understood the photos of the boxes the new lens came in that appear on some one-make photo forums. There's also videos of 'unboxing'.

Got a new piece of kit - go out and use it, then tell us what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  5. C. M

C. M TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have it all wrong. Its all about the self image of the gear and photographer. NOT about what the equipment, OR photographer can do with equipment...

Its like this. Look at the photos shown on teh LOMO news magazine webpage. Of people THEY think are great and wonderful photographers due to these people espousing the philosophy of "lomography'...

Those photos, those great examples of lomography, are blurry crap that are out of focus that they could be a photo of a rabbit running on a tread mill, or the star ship enterprise in a snow storm. DEFECTS in those great photos,,,, are things that actual photographers leave on the cutting room floor and strive to avoid...

6. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And they would say the same about the preoccupation with shots being tack sharp from corner to corner, or the smoooooth water, or the saturated predictable landscapes.

To each their own. That's the point. Why be preoccupied with trying to prove you're (general 'you') right about gear or photographic tastes or who's a 'real' photographer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am not a psychologist or even play one on tv, but life has taught me that humans are pack animals. Our entire society is based on acceptance and conformity, it gives us a sense of belonging and being understood by our fellow humans.

Unfortunately, the genre of photography and the gear a person uses is so varied it is nearly impossible to find consensus or conformity. As a result our desire to proclaim our opinion on gear, posing, lighting etc. is disguised as looking for acceptance not only from ourselves but from those who we believe have knowledge and wish to be associated with. At times greater experience can lead to better choices, this too is intertwined in much of the commentary.

I don’t always succeed but trying to type as I would speak face to face to a person is a good practise when it comes to sharing opinions on the interweb.

• Like Like x 1
  8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I completely agree - to each his own. Who gives a crap?

If everyone shot the same subject, using the same format, it would be a pretty boring old world.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Strodav

Strodav TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lord of the flies scenerio?

10. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree to each his own, but when someone proclaims their gear is the only gear, like the op said, I first wonder if it was intended to trigger an argument. I don't care who is a "real photographer" or what they shoot, but I don't need to see another photo of someones camera, lens or box, especially if I have one and have seen 50 other such photos. We have seen all the cliches, like blurred water, hdr/oversaturation, tilting come and go and some come back again. Many of us who have spend decades learning the craft get a tad irritated by folks that don't know what they don't know lecturing to us with erroneous information. I have learned not to waste my time, hey, I hope they are my competitors! How does that wrestling with a pig adage go? You get muddy and the pig enjoys it.

11. gmcase

gmcase TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As long as there are fenceposts there will be arguments.

12. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Im right your wrong, deal with it!

:boogie::boogie: