I've been here a while and still don't get it.

The camera is a tool, no matter if it's a bridge, APC, Full frame, medium format, etc. I personally have been very happy with my film camera so much that I rarely shoot digital for my personal stuff. I like not being able to preview the image and let the chips fall where they may. My keeper rate is way up as of late and I find the look of film very pleasing. Selling 90% of gear has been liberating to say the least. I have even cut way down on the amount of images taken using digital. I like that I hardly ever need to edit the film shots. I like to previsualize, look at the frame edges, compose, focus, and shoot. I had so much gear and the quantity did not make me a better photographer. I have a GFX50R and it doesn't make me a better photographer. I post less than 1% of the images I take, I don't need likes. I need to improve and that is my focus. Gear is a waste of my time these days. My favorite camera is the Holga, my most used is a Nikon F2 with no meter.
So, I know what you’re getting at and that a camera is just a tool and all, but...

GFX50R? :drool:
Yes, I bought it for product photography and it works great for that.

Maybe it's because some people will argue and stir up (stuff) because they can, and the relative anonymity of the Internet allows them to do so more often, probably making them feel like they have some kind of power, or making themselves feel a little less miserable by getting others all worked up.

Maybe it's because some people will argue and stir up (stuff) because they can, and the relative anonymity of the Internet allows them to do so more often, probably making them feel like they have some kind of power, or making themselves feel a little less miserable by getting others all worked up.

Some people are just that way argue for the sake of arguing. Life is too short to worry over it. When I see a thread, (here or any of the other forums I visit), headed down that path, I just do a virtual walk away. Never open that thread again. End of problem, mine anyway, can't fix theirs.

Yes, and yes. This kind of thread is often opened to get attention. So it's best to do that 'virtual walkaway' and not give them the attention and trouble that they're looking for.

Isn’t that what this thread is??? LOL
Not my intent but you can view it anyway you like.

As @snowbear stated ...
Hmm, if we were all sitting in the same room having a discussion about photography ... how many of these questions would be brought up.

With the group I hang with it would come up but more of a "Dam! Can't believe you still use "X" and manage to get anything worth keeping!" or that type of ribbing. Nothing ever serious.

Some people are just that way argue for the sake of arguing. Life is too short to worry over it. When I see a thread, (here or any of the other forums I visit), headed down that path, I just do a virtual walk away. Never open that thread again. End of problem, mine anyway, can't fix theirs.

My late brother would do just that. Argue for the sake of arguing. Did it many times. Left me shaking my head and most of my friends not wanting to talk to him again. He finally admitted it. After a friend was seconds away from pummeling him. It got that heated.

He thought it was funny. I didn't. Asked why, he just shrugged his shoulders. He wasn't filming a Youtube video or anything like that. That, would at least make sense to most of us. Some people are just that way, I guess. We'll never know the real reason why because, he's no longer with us.

There are just some people that insist on imposing their pov on everyone else. For whatever reason ( narcissism springs to the front ), I think they just like drama and want to see how many others they can get to agree with their own thoughts.

My late brother would do just that. Argue for the sake of arguing. Did it many times. Left me shaking my head and most of my friends not wanting to talk to him again. He finally admitted it. After a friend was seconds away from pummeling him. It got that heated.

He thought it was funny. I didn't. Asked why, he just shrugged his shoulders. He wasn't filming a Youtube video or anything like that. That, would at least make sense to most of us. Some people are just that way, I guess. We'll never know the real reason why because, he's no longer with us.

My youngest brother does this. I’ve always said he amuses himself by annoying others - with arguments that he sometimes doesn’t even truly support. Playing “devil’s advocate “ or however he wants to justify it. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has him on their “no unnecessary conversations “list.

Why do people feel the need to start argumentative threads such as "X type of sensor is better for Y photography" or "This kind of camera can't shoot X".

1. It's narrow minded and shows that the OP needs to learn more.
Do various sensor sized have certain benefits? Yes. Does that mean they are the best at a form of photography? NO!! They may have one attribute that leads itself to a particular form but that in itself won't make it the best.

2. It also shows that the OP usually only started a thread for a fight and not a civil discussion. Look back at all of the VERY defensive OP's in these threads.

3. If your mind is made up and you don't want others opinions or facts that may be to the contrary. Keep the though in your head and be happy.

It just seems to me some people can't be happy without a fight. Just don't get it.

Welcome to the internet where you are seeing true human nature as there are no consequences to mean, vile, idiotic, or ignorant behavior. I first saw this when learning how to drive many, many years ago where you could see mild mannered people in person turn into evil and reckless idiots behind the wheel. I am not a psychologist, but think people behave like this because they hate their own lives. The fact that this kind of stuff bothers you probably puts you in the good person category.

Welcome to the internet where you are seeing true human nature as there are no consequences to mean, vile, idiotic, or ignorant behavior. I first saw this when learning how to drive many, many years ago where you could see mild mannered people in person turn into evil and reckless idiots behind the wheel. I am not a psychologist, but think people behave like this because they hate their own lives. The fact that this kind of stuff bothers you probably puts you in the good person category.

I agree there is a lot of that out there but this type of thread is more specific and doesn't begin as a no consequence type of situation. It almost seems like what was posted earlier, that some people need to justify why or what they have or do. It's like they seem to think they have something to prove. I find it curious because they're trying to prove their worth to a bunch of people that wouldn't notice they were hit by a bus tomorrow.

A lot of time and energy has been wasted by many users on here trying this type of behaviour and they all have one thing in common. I can't remember any of them.

P.S. I'm nicer on the internet than I am in person.

These forums are heavily populated with collectors not photographers. On some sites, they post more photos of their camera and BOXES, than actual photos. I think most of those statements have to do with gear or tech issues than actual images.

These forums are heavily populated with collectors not photographers. On some sites, they post more photos of their camera and BOXES, than actual photos. I think most of those statements have to do with gear or tech issues than actual images.

Ah yes, I never understood the photos of the boxes the new lens came in that appear on some one-make photo forums. There's also videos of 'unboxing'.

Got a new piece of kit - go out and use it, then tell us what you think.

Ah yes, I never understood the photos of the boxes the new lens came in that appear on some one-make photo forums. There's also videos of 'unboxing'.

You have it all wrong. Its all about the self image of the gear and photographer. NOT about what the equipment, OR photographer can do with equipment...

Its like this. Look at the photos shown on teh LOMO news magazine webpage. Of people THEY think are great and wonderful photographers due to these people espousing the philosophy of "lomography'...

Those photos, those great examples of lomography, are blurry crap that are out of focus that they could be a photo of a rabbit running on a tread mill, or the star ship enterprise in a snow storm. DEFECTS in those great photos,,,, are things that actual photographers leave on the cutting room floor and strive to avoid...

You have it all wrong. Its all about the self image of the gear and photographer. NOT about what the equipment, OR photographer can do with equipment...

Its like this. Look at the photos shown on teh LOMO news magazine webpage. Of people THEY think are great and wonderful photographers due to these people espousing the philosophy of "lomography'...

Those photos, those great examples of lomography, are blurry crap that are out of focus that they could be a photo of a rabbit running on a tread mill, or the star ship enterprise in a snow storm. DEFECTS in those great photos,,,, are things that actual photographers leave on the cutting room floor and strive to avoid...

And they would say the same about the preoccupation with shots being tack sharp from corner to corner, or the smoooooth water, or the saturated predictable landscapes.

To each their own. That's the point. Why be preoccupied with trying to prove you're (general 'you') right about gear or photographic tastes or who's a 'real' photographer.

Most reactions

Back