I've been reminded why I ditched Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows releases are designed to drive hardware sales.
Not necessarily since they also designed Windows 7 to run on netbooks too. I know plenty of people that run windows 7 on their netbook with no problems and when I upgrade to a bigger HD from my 4gig one i'll install windows 7 too.

WIndows 7 on 2 desktops at home, 3 at work, work laptop, 2 home laptops, and a netbook. All of them run great.. All hardware bought in the last 3 years.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble, but I really am impressed with Win7.

One cool thing about Microsoft software...

They eventually fix all the shortcomings in some version of their OS, and instead of giving you a fix to software you have already paid for, they bundle the fixes as a new release

And they CHARGE you $$ for it...lol

WIndows 7 on 2 desktops at home, 3 at work, work laptop, 2 home laptops, and a netbook. All of them run great.. All hardware bought in the last 3 years.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble, but I really am impressed with Win7.
I'm not totally displeased with it. It is far better than the Vista it replaced. Vista was so bad I literally turned it off one day in frustration and went to the Apple store the next day and bought my first Mac.

Now that Windows 7 is installed and actually working (after scouring the net for drivers - something you don't do with OSX) and I've gotten my applications installed (with the typical "kinks" one encounters with Windows installs from time to time), it's pretty good. It's light years better than Vista.

I priced out a system on NewEgg and will probably order the parts to build a more current machine for !@#$ and grins. But I think I'll stick with OSX for work and serious matters where up-time is critical.

I've never understood the problems people have had with windows?! I've never had a problem with any version of windows...except Millenium Edition, that was terrible.

I didn't have a single problem with Vista, I actually liked Vista better then XP. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky? but I wanted 7 because it was supposed to be faster and being a student I was able to get it for $30 so I preordered it back in September.
And when it came out I downloaded it, it installed flawlessly on my then secondary 1TB HDD, I had Vista on the older 200GB, it automatically downloaded and installed all the drivers for everything in my computer. The only problem was that I had to reinstall all my programs because 7 didn't recognize them because they were installed under Vista and on a different hard drive. Other then that I haven't had a single problem with it

But I must admit, I need a laptop for school, and I will be buying a Macbook Pro, although it will be refurbished because the 13" is too small and I can't justify spending $1600 on a laptop...of course I'll just immediately go install windows 7 on it because I don't have access to a version of AutoCAD that works with Mac...I'm going to school for architecture. But I don't trust any of the windows based laptop manufactures to make reliable laptops, and I know that Mac does. Everyone I know with a windows laptop, no matter who made it, HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc, they've all had some kind of problem with them, and my friends with Macbooks and Macbook Pro's have never had any problems

Another interesting difference between the two companies.

Windows 7: $200
OSX 10.6: $29

Another interesting difference is that Apple hardware is a lot more expensive, you can get a machine running Windows 7 that is more powerful than a mac for less money. You are still spending more money on an mac machine then you are on a PC.

I am a big windows 7 fan, the upgrade from vista was simple for me (I did a fresh install thats the way to go imo) id pick it over OSX any day.

Hell, if I could get Photoshop, CNX2 and CounterStrike to work well under linux... the only OS I would touch would be Mint.

Indeed, ill second that. Have you tried the latest ubuntu ? its fantastic

I've never understood the problems people have had with windows?! I've never had a problem with any version of windows...except Millenium Edition, that was terrible.

I didn't have a single problem with Vista, I actually liked Vista better then XP. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky? but I wanted 7 because it was supposed to be faster and being a student I was able to get it for $30 so I preordered it back in September.
And when it came out I downloaded it, it installed flawlessly on my then secondary 1TB HDD, I had Vista on the older 200GB, it automatically downloaded and installed all the drivers for everything in my computer. The only problem was that I had to reinstall all my programs because 7 didn't recognize them because they were installed under Vista and on a different hard drive. Other then that I haven't had a single problem with it

Agreed, and yes, windows ME is probably the worst OS ever made.

I preordered windows 7 after running the beta for a week and paid $50 for it.

IMO 7 is one of the best operating systems Microsoft has released. it just works, without getting in the way of the user experience.

the new start menu search and jumplists are amazingly useful. I can find anything in less than a second just by starting to type it in the start menu.

I have yet to find any problems with it recognizing hardware, 32, or 64-bit,

all my software not only runs flawlessly, but runs BETTER than it ever has on Vista or XP, as always.

the thing where you can drag a window to the side and it snaps to half the monitor is BRILLIANT, and use it all the friggin time, i'd buy windows 7 again JUST FOR THAT. When i'm typing reports, copying pictures, or comparing two images, it's PERFECT.

the automatic backup is trivial to set up and work with in windows 7, as always.

In the last 3 years, Photoshop has yet to crash on me with vista or XP, it crashes ALL THE TIME on my girlfriends MacBook Pro, and the imacs at school, as always.

Shooting tethered with Capture One is more reliable than my friends imac, as always.

I was able to build my system EXACTLY how I wanted to and have it work, as always.

I've had fewer problems on my PC than anyone I know with a mac, and on a pc, my productivity is way up in comparison.

I just bought a Windows 7 machine it has been flawless.

The key difference is that you "just bought" a windows 7 machine. OP was bringing out mothballed hardware that is totally still capable and running into problems. This is the key difference...

Windows releases are designed to drive hardware sales.

Ah, but I have also been running it on an older laptop and will upgrade the wifes laptop too. I was just trying to say to Tim, that the new machine accepted old software without issue. i.e. Microsoft Office and my Spyder Calibration, my Epson 3800 printer, etc. And for what its worth, I had zero issues with Vista. I loved XP for work.

Just made the jump from XP to Win7 and I really like it. I haven't ever had any real problems with windows. I fix a lot of my friends' windows PC's, but I usually find that the problems were "self inflicted" due to user error or lack of common sense

"... all I did was download that 'free' screen saver from the myspace banner ad... now look at what WINDOWS is doing! ..."

Hit the nail on the head, IMO. Probably 99% of the issues I had to help fix on other peoples machines fell under spyware/malware issues. And you can't really fault Microsoft with being so widely used that the vast majority of said software targets it.

Just made the jump from XP to Win7 and I really like it. I haven't ever had any real problems with windows. I fix a lot of my friends' windows PC's, but I usually find that the problems were "self inflicted" due to user error or lack of common sense

"... all I did was download that 'free' screen saver from the myspace banner ad... now look at what WINDOWS is doing! ..."

Hit the nail on the head, IMO. Probably 99% of the issues I had to help fix on other peoples machines fell under spyware/malware issues. And you can't really fault Microsoft with being so widely used that the vast majority of said software targets it.

No one "faults" Microsoft. We just like the idea of 24/7 Internet for years and years and years with no need for virus protection and no infections... EVER!

No one "faults" Microsoft. We just like the idea of 24/7 Internet for years and years and years with no need for virus protection and no infections... EVER!

I've had that. My downstairs desktop has been on since 2004. Other than being old and slow, it still surfs the internet, types documents, and watches youtube like a pro. It also acts as a media server for my 360 and PS3. The only time it's turned off is when an install or update calls for a restart.

That said, I have nothing against MacOS. I don't agree with some of the design and flow choices they make, but I could see taking comfort in being such a small minority that no one really messes with them. The problem I have is with the hardware vs pricing.

Referring to app speeds, if it's capable of out performing machines with better hardware, then I can only conclude Apple intentionally overcharges for dated hardware. If that can match the performance of a more powerful Windows PC, then a Mac running top level hardware should absolutely fly by comparisson. Problem is, those Macs tend to cost about as much as my car. So I feel like I am personally being ripped off by paying more money for old hardware; regardless of performance. They could have done more powerful and cheaper but don't, which is why I am so reluctant to give them my money. If I could just easily run OSX on my fast, powerful, desktop PC, I would be a happy camper. As it stands though, all my apps run at lightning speed on my Win7 box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back