I've erm, just bought this.

Lead Replacement Petrol - Crap. :) It's meant to go into old cars which used to use leaded fuel (like my Herald) but is expensive and has no rules to adhere to. So you risk putting crap in your engine. It's better to either use an additive approved by the FBHVC or get your cylinder head converted and have harder exhaust valve inserts added - if your engine needs them.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas - You have to have a special tank fitted to the car and as it's sometimes hard to get hold of you also keep your old petrol tank just in case you can't find any LPG.

you also have to convert into gallons .... then those Americans would go blind ;)

For my Super in Germany I pay around EUR 1.60 per litre at the moment.

Step into the light, Alex, so I can see your face... *searches aimlessly for the wall in front of him*

For all you people who are conversion impaired, the price roughly comes out to $9.70/gallon. Which would make my commute cost roughly 25 dollars, or 12-13 pounds (16 euros or so?) I'm afraid at those prices I'd be out of work, as that would be roughly half of my paycheck! :)

I will say (not to get political), that at least most parts of Europe have good mass transit. The closest metro bus is 100 miles away from me, and the nearest metro rail is almost 300 miles away. IMO that would at least soften the blow (though I could be wrong having never been to Europe).

Bestpictureever-1.jpg
That has to be the awesomest shot ever:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Step into the light, Alex, so I can see your face... *searches aimlessly for the wall in front of him*

For all you people who are conversion impaired, the price roughly comes out to $9.70/gallon. Which would make my commute cost roughly 25 dollars, or 12-13 pounds (16 euros or so?) I'm afraid at those prices I'd be out of work, as that would be roughly half of my paycheck! :)

I will say (not to get political), that at least most parts of Europe have good mass transit. The closest metro bus is 100 miles away from me, and the nearest metro rail is almost 300 miles away. IMO that would at least soften the blow (though I could be wrong having never been to Europe).

Yeah, you're right. Well not in NYC btw, but in large parts of the country it's difficult to find public transport. Being from Europe myself, that took me some getting used to. But don't you think public transport never took off because you got your gas almost for free, uptil the recent years?

Ferny, congrats on the car. I'm a VW Beetle-fan myself, so this car is not 'round' enough for me, but I know the feeling of adding a beauty to your garage.

pascal

I went to a party the other week. It wasn't far away but I would have had to catch two buses and taken well over an hour to get there. It would have worked out cheaper to buy a day ticket for £7.50 (assuming they're the same price as three years ago) and I wouldn't have been able to come home because no buses would be running at that time. Or I could have gotten a taxi for £14 between two people. Luckily I got a lift there and a taxi back. If I'd have driven there it would have cost £2 in petrol.

When I looked at this car I spent roughly £7 in petrol getting to London and £7 back, then £5 I guess in diesel the next day going back there and £6 getting home in it. Using off-peak trains it would have cost me £17.50 each day to get an off-peak travel card.

Public transport is handy, but not always convenient or cheaper. That's why everyone prefers their car.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a diesel and converting it to run off of vegetable oil. I started to look at Series 3 Land Rovers with intent to buy last year.

I forgot to give a pro for public transport.

I'm probably going to Bedford today and a return ticket (off peak) will cost me £6.50. That's a tiny bit cheaper than petrol I'd use getting there and back but a lot cheaper if you add on the cost of car parking. Plus I'll not have to worry about drinking. But it will take me 25 minutes to walk to the station if I don't get a lift and about the same to get to where I want in Bedford once the train gets to the station. ;)

Plus I'll not have to worry about drinking.

+1. Everyone around here just drinks and drives anyway, because there is no cab or bus or anything. I don't (this is the reason I don't go out to bars), and it upsets me somewhat to see the lack of care most people have for drunk driving in these parts. But seriously if you are by yourself at closing time around ehre, you have no other choice than to drive home drunk. Its sad. And, at least when you're mass-transiting, you're being green. You're helping your mother earth, every time you walk from one bus stop to the next to get where you need to go. You're earning karma points by the step! :)

As far as your car, I thought it kind of looked like an 80s BMW 3-series. Are you going to paint it up and make it all bright and glossy, or leave it how it is? You'd be very unique if you gave it about 5 clear coats on top of a candy apple red paint job. :)

And, at least when you're mass-transiting, you're being green. You're helping your mother earth, every time you walk from one bus stop to the next to get where you need to go.
Only if there are other people using the transport. A train line always needs electricity which normaly comes from burning fossil fuels. Regardless as to whether or not any trains are running.

Off of rush hour most buses are empty and throw out black **** all the time.

As far as your car, I thought it kind of looked like an 80s BMW 3-series. Are you going to paint it up and make it all bright and glossy, or leave it how it is? You'd be very unique if you gave it about 5 clear coats on top of a candy apple red paint job. :)
No chance, it'd look rubbish 'pimped'. I'm t-cutting it as I go but it's hard work. It's coming up great. I found out the colour is "emberglow".

I have seen an all-black one with alloys. Looked rather nice but the alloys were too big.

As energy prices go up, public transport gets more expensive as well!

Still cheaper than a car though, true.

Did any of you ever hear of the LOREMO? It is still under development, but might go into production either 2009 or 2010.

2-3 litres on 100 km .. that is one quarter of what my current
car consumes and one 6th of the consumption of a standard SUV.

That is beyond 120 mpg they claim.

oh, I would drive in one of those...:D
And what about the Aptera?

I don't mind getting a little attention on the road.

pascal

Aptera is US only :(

Just as Loremo is Europe only.

I cannot get it why the big ones pick up such concept and push them. With their R&D and financial power, they could shorten the time to market alot and also reduce costs extremely.

The big car companies are simply afraid and underestimate the number of people willing to drive such cars ...

Aptera is US only :(

Just as Loremo is Europe only.

ok, I will buy both then...;).

I cannot get it why the big ones pick up such concept and push them. With their R&D and financial power, they could shorten the time to market alot and also reduce costs extremely.

The big car companies are simply afraid and underestimate the number of people willing to drive such cars ...

agreed

pascal

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back